• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Sounds to me like it could be an issue of someone not using a thumbs forward grip (where your thumb reats on top of the safety( I see a couple 1911 shooters that use (what I call) a revolver grip. Under recoil the hand bumps the safety back in place.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Mrgunsandgear pointed this out in one of his videos. It had to do with his grip, his knuckle was actually re engaging the safety during recoil.

The way S&W puts it, it sounds like the safety will engage in its own, without being bumped. Definitely an issue.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    I would love to see a video of it engaging on it's own. I still lean towards a grip issue but I've been wrong before. Going to test the wife's with hottest ammo I have and see what happens.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I would love to see a video of it engaging on it's own. I still lean towards a grip issue but I've been wrong before. Going to test the wife's with hottest ammo I have and see what happens.

Agreed! 99.9% it probably is their grip. With my agency quals I have a number of folks that have the slide lock open with rounds left. They always happen with right hand shooters with their thumbs. When they want to argue I have them shoot with their left hand and like magic it doesn't happen.

I'd hate to see what happens if we ever went to something with a thumb safety. Fortunately most don't carry a firearm daily.

The other sad thing is this could have happened once with one shooter and with social media it grows rampant and the shooter can never admit it was third technique.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Mrgunsandgear pointed this out in one of his videos. It had to do with his grip, his knuckle was actually re engaging the safety during recoil.

The way S&W puts it, it sounds like the safety will engage in its own, without being bumped. Definitely an issue.

yes but we wouldn't want to hurt any feelings by saying user error. In this day and age, if it isn't completely fool proof for every size and variation of human error it's the mfr's fault.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    The 380 was not designed for using "hot" rounds but people still try and make it work like a 9 or 40 (yes I said 40 that dirty number). The caliber and in this case the weapon have a certain purpose and a specific market. And when some moron blows up the gun because the reload was to hot or brand x's +P was to hot the manufacturer will be blamed for making a defective product. The circle of stupidity never ends.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    yes but we wouldn't want to hurt any feelings by saying user error. In this day and age, if it isn't completely fool proof for every size and variation of human error it's the mfr's fault.

Yep, but the concern with this gun is that it is designed to be pretty much "fool" proof, so anything that prevents function, under that target audience will be a problem. Also, since S&W has issued the statement and are looking to make a change, there must be at least a little bit to it, even if it is due to some shooter grip concerns.

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Yep, but the concern with this gun is that it is designed to be pretty much "fool" proof, so anything that prevents function, under that target audience will be a problem. Also, since S&W has issued the statement and are looking to make a change, there must be at least a little bit to it, even if it is due to some shooter grip concerns.

Whenever you think you have something idiot-proof, they go and build a better idiot. I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement but I've also worked in an automotive shop so I've seen how in line with intentions the general population uses/maintains things. How often do we rag on ads on here that say things along the lines of "normal carry wear, only 10 rounds through it" and the stories of how many people at the range who's only instruction is the movies? S&W issuing a statement has nothing to do with actual problems or they'd do a recall to get the faulty guns off the street. They're just figuring out how to make it more idiot proof without having to re-engineer the whole thing.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Whenever you think you have something idiot-proof, they go and build a better idiot. I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement but I've also worked in an automotive shop so I've seen how in line with intentions the general population uses/maintains things. How often do we rag on ads on here that say things along the lines of "normal carry wear, only 10 rounds through it" and the stories of how many people at the range who's only instruction is the movies? S&W issuing a statement has nothing to do with actual problems or they'd do a recall to get the faulty guns off the street. They're just figuring out how to make it more idiot proof without having to re-engineer the whole thing.

Understood and agreed, but they are calling them back ( https://www.smith-wesson.com/mp-380-shield-ez-consumer-advisory ). Probably because such an issue would be a nail in the coffin on a gun intended for the market this one is. I'm guessing a bit more spring/detent/bearing surface, whatever it is that keeps the safety on these things from flopping around will do it. My guess is they are not calling it a "recall" as it does not involve the gun being able to fire when it shouldn't but it is the inverse. I would consider that as deadly as the other way around, but from a manufacturer standpoint, I can see why they would call it an advisory or upgrade for liability concerns.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Sounds like they are planning on adding "friction" in some way to make the safety harder to engage. Anyone using any pistol with this type thumb safety should be taught to ride the safety when shooting the pistol. We know training is a dirty word to a huge percentage of people. Considering the target market for this pistol it might be a good idea to offer it with a grip safety only. Making the thumb safety harder to engage is a bad idea but I can't see another route for S&W to take. Proper training is the answer but expecting people to understand their firearm and know how to use it won't fly so S&W will be really short on options in this situation.
    Quote I saw on another site that I completely agree with. "an external active safety on a handgun can only make it more dangerous, never safer"

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom