• ...and so much more!
  • cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    Anyone done this? I want 30 lpi.

I have young eyes and steady hands. I understand the process with the files and the jig.

Otherwise, what shop will do 30 lpi? I’m not opposed to sending it out, but $300 and a 6 month wait seems excessive for an option that comes on $400 ATIs.

FWIW the pistol in question is a stainless Colt Competition and I want 30 lpi because that’s what my MIMber TLE has.

Thanks in advance gentlemen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've done a lot of checkering and if you've never done it before 30 lpi is tough it's pretty fine so it's very easy to crosscut and mess it up. Plus to really do it right and make it look good it's best to machine the front strap first so it's uniform. A lot of front straps even though you can't really tell are not uniform so if you checker it by hand there can be little dips and valleys throughout. I've sent a lot of machining to Jim Milks at Innovative Custom Guns in PA, his site lists it at 225.00. Remember though you'll have the pricey shipping. Check with AllenM too but i'm not sure if he's done 30 lpi. Cree does machining but his site does not list 30 lpi and he's almost 300.00 as well (but I think he's close to you so no shipping!). Also there are special considerations with Colts, the front straps can be thin, especially by the front of the magazine well so often times you have to start the checkering like a 1/4 inch up but sometimes you can get away with 30 lpi near the bottom but it's dependent on the individual pistol.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    AllenM has done 25lpi for me on a Colt Delta Elite and it turned out fantastic. I don't know if he does 30lpi, but if so, it will be done well.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    When checkering a front strap you absolutely must level out the surface - it will have high and low spots - trust me. You can't checker over those. A smooth file and sandpaper will get it flat. If buying a new file you will need to square up at least one edge with the teeth on a belt sander. If the edge of the file isn't running parallel to the teeth you will go mad trying to keep your lines straight. ALWAYS use the same edge against your jig - never swap. Practice on pieces of pipe or round stock until you get nice straight lines. Have a good worklight and take a lot of breaks. It is exhausting physically and mentally. I put pieces of duct tape on my fingers that are pressing down on the file. Those files are sharp.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    Well this is all good info. I’ve browsed Andy Cree’s website and he indeed does very nice work.

You all have made some good points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Checkering steel by hand will make you an Ibuprofen addict. And in your later years you will become an authority on arthritis. In the 90s I checkered front straps for only $100. I wouldn't do it today for three times that amount.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    cmann250

How do you feel about this orange front night sight? I can get you white if you prefer, this is just what I had in stock. I think it looks better in person than the pic. It is a Trijicon HD

Oh, BTW checkering is done :)

Top Bottom