• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was using CCI Hi-Velocity (1235 FPS, not remember but 12xx something) Hollow Points last evening.
    Seems like I read somewhere that hollow points can be a problem with some semi-autos?

My .22LR small tip-up Beretta would not shoot these (FTE big time)
    I tried two magazines worth but out of 16 shells, 12 didn't eject???
    Frustrating!

Also, the Bersa Thunder 22LR that did not work at all with the M-22 shells (Winchester, I think), would not work with these hollow points either.
    I did not have my good CCI Hi-V (non-hollow points) that have always worked brilliantly in anything with me, so I couldn't verify that is wasn't the guns, but the last time I shot both of these they were fine.

The Hollow Points seemed to be the "X" factor.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    semi-auto .22 firearms can be finicky. That's all there is to it.

Some don't like the profile of HP ammo as it MAY hang-up on the feed ramp.

Some guns will run everything you throw at it. Some don't.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    If it's FTE, I'm also curious about the condition of the chamber (dirty, pitted, abused chambers dont like letting go of cooling brass)

Also, wbats5the condition of the extractor & extractor spring... could those be contributing factors too?? Does it do ok with other ammo??

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    With SA guns one of the issues to watch on cycling is bullet weight. The 22lr hollow point may be considerably lighter than what you gun likes to get better velocity.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    First, check the directions. I know, no one likes to read them, but some types of ammo are not supposed to go in certain guns.

Next, as someone mentioned, .22 guns can be finicky.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Seems like I read somewhere that hollow points can be a problem with some semi-autos?...

This generally applies to center fire ammo and any potential problem would show up as feeding problems, not FTE, although as Leadeye suggests, bullet weight could be a factor.

Is this new ammo or ammo of unknown age and storage methods bought from an individual?

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    As mentioned, HP not feeding well is usually larger calibers. Most .22 HP has too small a cavity to affect it.

You say the old brass didn't eject... that has nothing to do with HPs not feeding. When HPs don't feed, it means the old brass comes out but the new round gets stuck before going in fully.

.22s are notoriously finicky for a number of reasons, among which being the sheer variety of ammo available. Everything from low weight subsonic mouse farts to stuff hotter than .22magnums. a semi-auto needs to have a minimum energy involved in order to cycle, any more is just wasted slamming the gun around. another factor is that they're just so darn lightly sprung that it doesn't take much dirt, wear, or variation to affect the action. In larger calibers there's less varieties of lube (mostly copper jacketed) and the variations in profile are overcome by the stronger springs. in a .22, different brands use different lubes, different profiles, different powders, etc. Oh, on the powders, a 1200fps from one product may act totally different from another thanks to the variety of arms using 22lr: brand A may run a slow powder for 1200fps out of a 18" barrel but be 800 out of a 2" pistol (and not have enough oomph to cycle). brand B might use a faster powder to get 1100fps out of the 2" pistol but only gains 100 fps with the other 16" of the rifle barrel.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My .22LR small tip-up Beretta would not shoot these (FTE big time)
    I tried two magazines worth but out of 16 shells, 12 didn't eject???
    Frustrating!

Also, the Bersa Thunder 22LR that did not work at all with the M-22 shells (Winchester, I think), would not work with these hollow points either.
    I did not have my good CCI Hi-V (non-hollow points) that have always worked brilliantly in anything with me, so I couldn't verify that is wasn't the guns, but the last time I shot both of these they were fine.

The Hollow Points seemed to be the "X" factor.

That's weird....all of my .22's work flawlessly...Even the 1930's K 22 Outdoorsman...All of my Bearcats work fine....My 22/32 Kit Gun....My Single Six....I mean forty years of shooting .22 revolvers and they just go bang....Now I wonder what the difference is????

You should get a little Bearcat....:)

rimg.php

They just shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot......

rimg.php

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If it's FTE, I'm also curious about the condition of the chamber (dirty, pitted, abused chambers dont like letting go of cooling brass)

Also, wbats5the condition of the extractor & extractor spring... could those be contributing factors too?? Does it do ok with other ammo??

1. Yes, one of the things I want to do is test out the other magazine I have with the Beretta to see if it does any better, but since the Bersa had trouble also, and I know it is finicky about ammo: works flawlessly with CCI Mini-Mags Hi-Velocity, but not with 2 others, I don't hope for much better.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If other types work ok, i agree it's most likely the ammo

1. Agreed.

With SA guns one of the issues to watch on cycling is bullet weight. The 22lr hollow point may be considerably lighter than what you gun likes to get better velocity.

2. It was 40 grain, but I have seen some 36 grain.

Is this new ammo or ammo of unknown age and storage methods bought from an individual?[/QUOTE]gmcttr
    This generally applies to center fire ammo and any potential problem would show up as feeding problems, not FTE, although as Leadeye suggests, bullet weight could be a factor.
    Is this new ammo or ammo of unknown age and storage methods bought from an individual?

3. Good point. I don't remember since I have thousands of rounds of both.
    4. That will make me really try out from my buying new to be sure. (just bought 5000 rounds of CCI 22LR new from Midway/6 cents/round)

That's weird....all of my .22's work flawlessly...Even the 1930's K 22 Outdoorsman...All of my Bearcats work fine....My 22/32 Kit Gun....My Single Six....I mean forty years of shooting .22 revolvers and they just go bang....Now I wonder what the difference is????

5. Yes, this is why I have trust issues with any semi-autos, b/c I don't experience any with revolvers.

You should get a little Bearcat....:)

rimg.php

They just shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot......

rimg.php

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    Well, if you got a pistol that only runs on cci mini mags you got a gun that needs help.
    Get it tuned up by a pro so that it'll eat standard
    velocity. How long would you put up with a pinto that only ran on rocket fuel?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well, if you got a pistol that only runs on cci mini mags you got a gun that needs help.
    Get it tuned up by a pro so that it'll eat standard
    velocity. How long would you put up with a pinto that only ran on rocket fuel?

1. I'm listening.
    2. I need to find out how much a gunsmith charges for such things and when I have a pistol that I know is long-term do just that.
    3. Short term I don't mind feeding it the Hi-Velocity instead of the M-22. :laugh:

4. Loved the analogy.

luger fan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Indy
    Keep the feed ramp POLISHED to a mirror finish, Mothers Mag Polish is tops and the chamber as clean as you can get it. Those takes care of lots of FTF and FTE issues.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    No reason to really use HPs in handguns with barrels that short as they'll hardly expand anyway.

Most important ammo quality for little .22 defensive guns is - reliability. Reliability has a couple of components in this context - ignition reliability, and feeding reliability.

So, you need ammo that reliably "goes bang" AND feeds reliability. And has been said, .22 handguns can be finicky in the ammo that they feed, so this can require a bit of trial and error.

Claude Werner recommends match ammo for the ignition aspect of reliability since small bore rifle shooters are fanatical about reliability as they are shooting against a time limit in which they have to fire x rounds (misfires cost time and points).

So, search for premium .22 match ammunition – little more expensive for better quality control. Claude uses Federal Premium High Velocity Target [1].

Small bore shooters can go through 5k rounds of this without an ignition failure. If it feeds in your gun (and is acceptably accurate), then you're good. If not, then you have to find another premium load that does.

If you can't find anything that fires and feeds reliably, then those .22s aren't suitable for defense.

[1] - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/9...-rifle-high-velocity-40-grain-lead-round-nose

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Keep the feed ramp POLISHED to a mirror finish, Mothers Mag Polish is tops and the chamber as clean as you can get it. Those take care of lots of FTF and FTE issues.

1. Thanks! That will be on my list of things to buy next time I go to Point Blank.
    2. I'll google it to see how to reach any nooks and crannies, and to make sure I know the full scope of the "feed ramp."
    3. Before I sell I always gave that a few good swipes just to make it "prettier/cleaner."

No reason to really use HPs in handguns with barrels that short as they'll hardly expand anyway.

4. I am imagining you mean HV (hi-velocity) when you said HPs (if not, forgive my ignorance). I even looked it up in a glossary of 100s of shooting terms and it wasn't there Glossary of shooting terms

Most important ammo quality for little .22 defensive guns is - reliability. Reliability has a couple of components in this context - ignition reliability, and feeding reliability.
    So, you need ammo that reliably "goes bang" AND feeds reliability. And has been said, .22 handguns can be finicky in the ammo that they feed, so this can require a bit of trial and error.
    Claude Werner recommends match ammo for the ignition aspect of reliability since small bore rifle shooters are fanatical about reliability as they are shooting against a time limit in which they have to fire x rounds (misfires cost time and points).
    So, search for premium .22 match ammunition – little more expensive for better quality control. Claude uses Federal Premium High Velocity Target [1].
    Small bore shooters can go through 5k rounds of this without an ignition failure. If it feeds in your gun (and is acceptably accurate), then you're good. If not, then you have to find another premium load that does.
    If you can't find anything that fires and feeds reliably, then those .22s aren't suitable for defense.

5. That what I'm doing now: making a list, and anything that doesn't fire in my semis goes to the revolvers. :laugh:

[1] - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/9...-rifle-high-velocity-40-grain-lead-round-nose

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    First off, 22s need cleaned more often than centerfire. I'd be willing to bet a case of beer, that a good cleaning by someone who knows that platform, would alleviate those issues. You need to watch that happen and learn. I'm not that person or id help.

Believe it or not, I had a really shotty lot of minimag hp 2 years ago.Rare, but it happens. I still have some I think if I didn't already toss it.....what's your lot number from the box?

Mothers mag polish is an automotive product. Find it at AutoZone etc....Not point blank. And for God sakes, don't use a Dremel or any power tool.

Top Bottom