• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Where do they fall in the 1911 World? Semi custom? Are they worth the extra cash versus a Dan Wesson? Seem like they can be had for an almost reasonable price lately.

Thanks

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I refuse to buy a Ed Brown, they make you pay to send them in if you ever have a problem (unlike every other maker). If I am spending more than Dan Wesson. $$$ on a 1911 it is going to say Wilson Combat on it.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    So Duty Coat of Stainless? It's going to get used not a safe Queen. I have heard it holds up pretty good but I do like the stainless.
    Get the Duty Treat , it's amazing I am just now starting to show very slight wear on the thumb safety and beavertail now after carrying my ECO and VBOB for almost 3 years !

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I bought the Dan Wesson Silverback, which is essentially a Valor in two-tone. I don't think they make them anymore, but I have to echo what Dean says, they are great gun at a much lower price point, and the CS is excellent compared to Ed Brown from what I hear. His reputation for poor CS keeps me from considering him.

The Silverback has a Stainless slide, and a Duty Coat frame, sort of a cool combo. I shot this picture in the first few days after bringing her home:

e9ZvIQs.jpg

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    Where do they fall in the 1911 World? Semi custom? Are they worth the extra cash versus a Dan Wesson? Seem like they can be had for an almost reasonable price lately.

Thanks

Semi custom is what most people call them.

Worth is a very subjective term, especially when you're talking about 2,000 and 3,000 dollar + 1911s. The biggest thing I can say is they all build them a little bit differently. An Ed Brown will be built and feel a little different than Les Baer, or Wilson, or Night Hawk etc. To some people that difference is "worth it" versus a Dan Wesson or anybody else for that matter, to other people it's not.

If you find an Ed Brown that tickles your fancy for a price you're willing to pay, go for it. If not, I don't think you'd be settling for a DW. You can always look for a decent used one to see if it's something you want.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    As stated above Ed Brown CS sucks. If you get one hope you never need to send it back. Better options out there in my opinion Wilson and Les Baer being well above Brown in my own dealings. Ive got a couple Dan Wessons i love but my Wilsons and Baers are in a whole different catagory with fit and finish. Wilson being more refined and Baer the tightest booger ive ever owed but runs like a top. After the first 1000 or so it was still hard to take apart for the first time.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    If you want a great pistol backed by unparalleled customer service, Wilson Combat is what you want. The CQB is the pistol most other 1911’s want to be when they grow up. It’s no nonsense, bulletproof, and more accurate than all but a few. It’s backed by Wilson’s excellent customer service. If I were to regress back to 1911’s and couldn’t have a YoBo, or Heirloom(YoBo light), I’d own another CQB.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Interesting to read this thread... honestly, of the few EB 1911’s I’ve owned (2 Kobras and a SF), they have all been very nice. In fact, much nicer than my Baers... but not as nice as my Wilson’s, Crafters, or NH’s.

Of all the semi customs, I have never had to send a Brown back to Brown. I can’t say that for my Wilson’s or Baers... All these shops excluding Crafter or NH have had total asshats working in their CS department. Give old man Les a call and see what he says if you tell him you are having an issue with his 1911’s. Ed Brown can also be brutal, but as long as you know that going in, I see no problem. I will not get started with Wilson CS but to say I’ve had some major issues that are to drawn out to post about is an understatement.

As far as paying for a shipping label to send a gun back, yeah... sure... from time to time Wilson will do it, but they have made me pay for my shipping several times... is that the standard that you judge CS on? If so, then we view CS differently.

I really don’t think you can go wrong with any of them though...

Find one reasonably priced and if it feels right, buy it.

As a ith any of these makers, I think there is a different level of refinement and what they “pride themselves on”.

Baer’s finish and blending is very sub par to the others, they are tighter though. They also fit their barrels differently... which imo is subjective to “being better”.

Wessons are on par with Baer, not as tight and also lack a bit of blending. Lock up is great and overall... they are by far the best production gun out there. I know for a while, Wesson was using Brown’s parts.

Brown is a small step up from the two above... blending is a little better, finish is a bit more refined, and they feel “softer” in my hands. The two Kobra carry’s I had were amongst two of my favorite 1911s I’ve ever had. Again, some blending is left to be desired but, still nice

Wilson,NH, Crafter lead the pack with Crafter being a bit ahead of the two previous leaders in the semi-custom 1911 world. The Crafters are just better. NH would be second as they pride themselves on the 1 gun 1 smith theory, something that Wilson charges a super priemium for.

As for CS, I really think it’s all based on your issues. Really, how many issues can you have with any of these guns? I guess it happens but, I’ve owned a lot of 1911’s and have had very very few issues. I wouldn’t put much into the CS stuff. As mentioned, when it comes to the CS department, I have had the most headaches with Wilson. That doesn’t mean I don’t buy Wilson’s, it just means I have a different expectation than I did in the past and a different perception of their department than other Wilson owners.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom