• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    S/W 64-8, SS, 4", 6 shot revolver: small repair
    I noticed that my extractor rod was loose and I screwed the rod back into the extractor and the range, and thought nothing of it.
    Tonight, as I was gathering guns for a range run I noticed that the extractor was lose again.
    When I went to screw it in it would not do so.
    The extractor rod (part #1 from the Numrich site) seems to have bad male threads.
    I don't know if the female threads in the extractor itself (part #9) are compromised and bad also.

I could order the parts: $10 and $40 respectively, but I was hoping there might be a local place that would have a parts bin for Smith revolvers.
    I especially need to find out if the female threads on the extractor itself are OK or not so I don't waste money needlessly.

Below are pics and if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

212sHld.jpg

You can see here where the rod needs screwed in more to be able to shut the cylinder.
    JP6TtjK.jpg

You can see the rod ready to be screwed into the extractor with the center pin and spring in place and the bad threads.
    3rP0mzG.jpg

Center pin and spring in extrator with rod ready to go over pin and then into extractor and see the bad threads.
    k8tPzQg.jpg

rod into extractor (but won't screw in) with center pin not inside both pieces.
    lEpAGzk.jpg

HEoBJgQ.jpg

2dPQVQx.jpg
    vyt7vLb.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have been given directions to ship it back to SW for warranty work.

I called ZR Tactical, and they said they could look at it and might be able to "fix" it which I suppose means re-thread the extractor rod and perhaps the extractor if needed it also.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have been given directions to ship it back to SW for warranty work.

I called ZR Tactical, and they said they could look at it and might be able to "fix" it which I suppose means re-thread the extractor rod and perhaps the extractor if needed it also.

Will it cost you anything to have ZR take a look at it first? If they can give you an estimate on a fix without cost to do that, might be worth it. Not sure if they could fix the threads or would need to order the same parts.

Might do that and depending on the outcome of that discussion, contact S&W.

If you were going to keep it, I'd say contact Sand Burr Ranch Sand Burr Gun Ranch and see if they could fix it and do some trigger work. Not had them do anything myself, but word around here is they are really good with the S&W revolver.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Will it cost you anything to have ZR take a look at it first? If they can give you an estimate on a fix without cost to do that, might be worth it. Not sure if they could fix the threads or would need to order the same parts.

Might do that and depending on the outcome of that discussion, contact S&W.

If you were going to keep it, I'd say contact Sand Burr Ranch Sand Burr Gun Ranch and see if they could fix it and do some trigger work. Not had them do anything myself, but word around here is they are really good with the S&W revolver.

1. Thanks for the input.
    2. I can always order the parts and fix it myself, no smithing involved, and that might be the cheapest, just take a little time ordering and waiting.
    3. My hope was that someone might have these part handy, and I might only need the rod and not the extractor itself.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    J M Gunsmithing is almost next door to the Point Blank you frequent. He is reasonable. You could drop by and ask him for an estimate.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    S&W customer service is your best bet they can send you a mail label and ship USPS you cant . if it needs a new extractor ,the ratchet will have to be fit to your gun ,not a drop in part and i doubt if you would have the knowledge to work on the ratchet.The gun might be under warranted

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I would go to Sand Burr as mentioned or contact BossHoss. You really don't want to crank down on the extractor rod without the proper tools. You can put to much torque on the extractor star and create more issues. If the threads are bad on the rod, replace it.

BossHoss could do that for you and give it a good once over to see if you need/want anything else done.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    J M Gunsmithing is almost next door to the Point Blank you frequent. He is reasonable. You could drop by and ask him for an estimate.

1. They open at 12 pm!

S&W customer service is your best bet they can send you a mail label and ship USPS you cant . if it needs a new extractor ,the ratchet will have to be fit to your gun ,not a drop in part and i doubt if you would have the knowledge to work on the ratchet.The gun might be under warranted

2. Oh my! I assumed parts were interchangeable, like on any machine, and I could simply replace the male threads of the rod, and if needed, the female threads in the extractor by replacing those parts, so that is discouraging.
    3. I've spent the last 30 minutes looking and finally found what the "ratchet" is, which seems to be on the end of my extractor, all one piece with the rod it is connected to having the female threads that the extractor rod screws into.

4. Contacting S/W might be how I have to go if noone local can handle it: seems like such a simple fix.

I would go to Sand Burr as mentioned or contact BossHoss. You really don't want to crank down on the extractor rod without the proper tools. You can put to much torque on the extractor star and create more issues. If the threads are bad on the rod, replace it.
    BossHoss could do that for you and give it a good once over to see if you need/want anything else done.

4. Sand Burr is 2 hrs. from me: bummer. I hope there is a closer solution.
    5. I would never think of "cranking" down on the rod trying to force it into the female threads of the extractor.
    6. I would assume those threads are very fine and would not stand up too much torque being forced on them.
    7. I might just order the rod and see if I get lucky and that would be a quick fix and that will work.
    8. I have much work to do with another hobby for the next 10 days, so this won't be able to be given a priority.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    The picture of the ejector rod are blurry so can't tell what it is like. The threads are shallower at the start and get deeper and that is the way they are supposed to be. The extractor is a fitted part and I can fit it but it is not cheap(labor wise) if it needs that it would be cheaper to send back to S&W under warranty. The extractor is much harder than the stainless ejector rod and if something is bad it should be the softer rod.

All that being said I would spray some cleaner in the female threads and run a q-tip in it and make sure it is clean and make sure the threads on the ejector rod are clean. If they still won't thread together look at threads on the rod and see if they are damaged. You can clean up the threads with a needle file or replace the rod as they are not that expensive.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. First of all, I really really appreciate the time/input my friends/fellow members have taken to help me out: really! (Did I say that already? :laugh:
    2. I have no tolerance for anything I have not to work/be right mechanically,
    and that especially would apply in the context of a gun where safety it paramount.
    3. I might be "cheap" (I prefer "thrifty" now that I'm old :lmfao:), but I will not do a "cheap" fix, but the right thing so it will never be a problem for the next person.
    4. When I asked about having to tighten the extractor rod (didn't even know what it was called then), someone suggested I use some type of "lock-tight" and perhaps that would have been a fine fix till it loosened again, and if I was going to keep it, I would have done so, but since I'm going to sell it, I want it to work perfectly.
    5. Perhaps someone who works on guns will pm me and offer to buy it "as is" for a price I would just do it.
    I would even mention what that would be,
    but I have been in sooo much trouble for my posts talking about selling,
    that I am paranoid about it. :ugh:
    As much as churchmouse has had to "tutor" me about my posts (and he has been very long-suffering and I am grateful for his patience with this newbie :thumbsup: ),
    I am totally unaccustomed to being on the wrong side of "rule-keeping" and it has been a humbling and perplexing experience for me:
    part of my life-long education :coffee: (that's me rereading the rules :laugh: ).

The picture of the ejector rod are blurry so can't tell what it is like. The threads are shallower at the start and get deeper and that is the way they are supposed to be. The extractor is a fitted part and I can fit it but it is not cheap(labor wise) if it needs that it would be cheaper to send back to S&W under warranty. The extractor is much harder than the stainless ejector rod and if something is bad it should be the softer rod.

6. Yes, but the 2nd pic of it is a little better hopefully to communicate the threads being "worn away" (hopefully just on the male threads and not the female threads).
    7. I take it that instead of a $50ish fix (much less if it is just the extractor rod which sells for $10) it would be a $100 fix (involving the extractor itself): bummer.
    8. Feel free to pm me an estimate the range of that cost in case that is an option I take (local fix, instead of shipping to S/W).
    9. I'll try to look up the number/address of S/W so as to inquire about that option.
    10. I do wonder about ordering the rod for $10 and see if I just get lucky.
    11. I was wanting to sell it right away (choosing to go to bed with the Ruger Security Six and have sold the Judge already), which is why I was hoping for a local quick-fix instead of waiting for weeks to order and receive parts, but perhaps that option will be off the table anyway.

All that being said I would spray some cleaner in the female threads and run a q-tip in it and make sure it is clean and make sure the threads on the ejector rod are clean. If they still won't thread together look at threads on the rod and see if they are damaged. You can clean up the threads with a needle file or replace the rod as they are not that expensive.

12. Will do! But, despite my lack of specific gun knowledge my mechanical aptitude in general is laden with basic experience in my younger life and I have no hope for the threads I'm looking at.

The threads look to be in bad shape to me, shame that's a good looking revolver! I would email s&w as it should be free but you can try a new rod first!

13. Agreed. I don't understand how a quality gun developed such an issue with something as basic as male/female threads on such a crucial often-used part.
    14. I have a Charter Arms 9mm revolver that had some ejector rod/extractor issues and I sent it back twice for them to get it right.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Looks like you are well on the way to an easy fix.

I just have to say that any SW revolver that makes a trip to Denny at Sand Burr Ranch for an action job comes back one incredible firearm.

If you just want the gun to be functional and correct, I am sure the recommended local smiths or a trip back to SW will do just fine.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

Looks like you are well on the way to an easy fix.

I just have to say that any SW revolver that makes a trip to Denny at Sand Burr Ranch for an action job comes back one incredible firearm.

If you just want the gun to be functional and correct, I am sure the recommended local smiths or a trip back to SW will do just fine.

1. If I was going to keep the gun it would be very tempting to "jazz" it up with upgrades to enjoy (like I did when buying my GSG 1911-22 at ZR Tactical that has "all" upgrades done to it and I "prize" it for that reason).
    2. I have shot gmcttr's wonderful Dan Wesson 1911, and I don't think I have the experience to appreciate the nuances of a "tricked" out gun when firing it.
    3. The reason I enjoy the GSG upgrades so much has nothing to do with the actual firing of it but the "weaknesses" of all that "type" of 22LR were addressed for longevity and wear, which, for my use, probably won't be put to the test b/c I won't be shooting 40,000 rounds out of any one gun since I have multiple 22LRs that I must share the time with, some of which if I wear them out, just throw them out (like my Beretta Neos I love: bought for $175 from a member here).
    Fortunately, not being experienced, it will take me a long time (and I could die first :laugh:) to get to the level of where I demand buying the $1000- $2000 guns.
    4. I've gone from $200 guns to $400+ in less than a year, so maybe in 5 -10 yrs. I'm there :dunno:.
    But, I'll be retired then and if you think I'm cheap now, you'll see a whole other level of cheap then.
    5. I've even scoped out a different range for retirement. Now I pay $420/yr. (Point Blank) but I found one for $150/yr. (Family Indoor/Pop Guns on Post Rd/Washington) for my future needs. When I was looking around there months ago, the gunsmith remembered me from back in the late 80s: I couldn't believe it! :ugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Looks like I'll be selling the Smith to a guy I've dealt with here before that will fix it himself.
    It was neat finding out when I was putting his number into my phone that it was already there.
    I'm glad someone here got it: they'll probably fix it for $10 and I'll lose a few dollars since I sold it for less than I had in it, but I've got so much on my plate now that I just don't have time to mess with it.

For the 5 people out there that are friends :):
    a. son's selling house (and I helped get it ready)
    b. son bought a house (and I've got to help with this and that)
    c. big weekend coming up finally and I've been working for weeks on going through 25 boxes of old comics/books/models/memorabilia to sell at a Comic Book Show b/c I don't have the closet space to store them after moving (left over from my young son's hobby (and mine), he's now 33)
    d. things to do getting ready for hip replacement surgery this June (been bone on bone in both hips for almost 2 yrs. now: Surgeon said it was the worst he'd seen. He said he'd see me in 2 yrs. and he was right. I hope he says that to everyone to scare them to get surgery, but pain can help a person make those decisions clearly w/o the scare tactics. :ugh: If he was serious, that would explain alot since I feel like 85 instead of 65.
    I love living with pain, :crying: keeps me out of trouble, but I keep wanting to buy/sell guns for a diversion :dunno: (dry humor for those who don't get it in print :laugh: )

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’m selling the gun to someone who finds it a quick fix: he has a drawer full of Smith and Wesson revolver parts.
    I’ll take a small loss on the gun to have this issue go away and be glad for it since I’ve got so much else going on.

Top Bottom