Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I know I'm in "trim mode" (sold 6 guns in past 3 weeks),
    but as you know I'll buy anything if the price is right,
    especially if it is in a caliber that I'm not eliminating: .25 acp, .32 acp, 40 acp (although I do want to rent this and see about it since I see prices under $300 on occasion), and 45 acp.
    Trying to limit myself to 22LR (but I have 1 22 magnum Smith revolver that I can't part with), .380 acp (can't give this up yet) and 9mm.
    I ran across this old gem which got my attention ($250) and when I researched it I liked what I was reading:
    built like a tank,
    heavy,
    use any ammo,
    all metal,
    too thick handle (nonsense: still not quite what the Beretta 92 was,
    loud,
    easy to clean,
    clunky and chunky,
    like a brick (I like bricks :laugh:).

When I inquired about it, I found out I had bought 2 guns from the seller in the past
    (Rock Island Armory XT-22 1911 22LR and Smith & Wesson 22 A1),
    so I believed the "profile,"of the seller/gun,
    which is so important to me.
    I knew at that point I was going to buy it b/c that took away any doubt that it was a straight gun.

I was disappointed that it didn't have the 15 round mags which is a real novelty for me since I usually have small guns with small capacity.

However, I am so busy I can't even go to the range to try it out (bummer)
    b/c I have get "product" ready to sell (been working on it for 6 weeks) at a Comic Book Show tomorrow.
    Comics and posters and spaceships with music/narrations and the like left over from a hobby when my 33 yr. old son was 10, but we moved and don't have room for all the crap I never got around to selling.
    Stainless: YES! Wouldn't have bought it if just a blued model: I have my standards! :rofl:
    Decent holster came with it, always nice to get a bonus. :thumbsup:
    20180424_183838.jpg

20180424_183801.jpg

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Built like a tank is right (like all good Rugers). These just never appealed to me and I've been a Glock guy (more recently into M&P's) for a long time so I'm fully into the form over function of things, but even I can't get into these.

What capacity mags did come with it? Wondering if this was a Clinton AWB era gun if it has a small cap mag with it (guessing so).

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Congradulations on the acquisition...hope you enjoy it for a long time! I have a brother who has a matched pair of those...he loves 'em!

I saw that in the ads section and considered it for a moment...I know what a reliable tank they are and I've been wanting one in the stable for a long time.

I do have, however, an older P-93 9mm DAO that is an awesome pistol to shoot...it's accurate, reliable, recoil is mild (due to it's weight) and did I mention it's accurate?

That being said, I recently sold 3 (and have a 4th for sale) and picked up a new project...and still have another project I would like to accomplish this year...so I passed.

Last edited:

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    P95 was my first 9mm and still the best shooter I have in an auto. I bought it new. I saw your P89 for sale and was tempted but I don't shoot the 9's as much any more. If the triggers are the same you should really enjoy that gun. Mine has a super light trigger, hardly any recoil, and shoots straight.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Built like a tank is right (like all good Rugers). These just never appealed to me and I've been a Glock guy (more recently into M&P's) for a long time so I'm fully into the form over function of things, but even I can't get into these.

1. I love the feel of it, and since I'm a novice to larger full frame guns, it has an appeal all of it's own.
    2. I have such low money into it and in my mind there is so much right about this gun, but, of course, the range will tell the story.
    3. It will have to be more/different than my Shield 9mm. I have bought other guns for range toys, and sold them b/c compared to my Shield 9mm there was no big difference. I could have kept the Beretta 92 for a range toy, but even though I loved the "feel" of it, I could live w/o it.
    4. We will see about this one. It is stainless and that always gives me joy. Wish I could go to the range for the real evaluation, but I'm wiped and still have 2 hours of work to do to get the car loaded for tomorrow's Comic Book Show at E 21st/Shadeland Ave at the Rodeway Inn to sell off items from a hobby 25 yrs. ago that has been sitting in my closet.

What capacity mags did come with it? Wondering if this was a Clinton AWB era gun if it has a small cap mag with it (guessing so).

5. I thought it was coming with 15 round magazines, but only two 10 round mags: bummer. I'd read about the 15 round.

Congradulations on the acquisition...hope you enjoy it for a long time! I have a brother who has a matched pair of those...he loves 'em!

6. I hope so to, and am really happy about buying it off a member here who I have bought 2 other guns from. It brings me joy just thinking about it even while working all day long. I would go to the range now, but I need to finish getting ready for tomorrow and get some sleep.

I saw that in the ads section and considered it for a moment...I know what a reliable tank they are and I've been wanting one in the stable for a long time.

I do have, however, an older P-93 9mm DAO that is an awesome pistol to shoot...it's accurate, reliable, recoil is mild (due to it's weight) and did I mention it's accurate?

7. I read where it had a shorter barrel, or maybe that was the 95.

That being said, I recently sold 3 (and have a 4th for sale) and picked up a new project...and still have another project I would like to accomplish this year...so I passed.

I'm waiting for you to sell the stuff I want instead of those bb guns on steroids. :):

8. You are so funny! Yes, I was pleased to sell off the mouse guns, my fetish with the tip-up barrels is over, although if somene forces an inox on me, I might fold, but they usually cost too much and I can get so much more for my money in a .380, a better shell and I know the S/W M/P Bodyguard .380 I have was the same size as the Beretta .32. and cost less (yes, price matters to me). :laugh:
    9. Surely you jest, I can't imagine what I have that you would have any interest in: sold the Shield .45, Beretta 9mm, Ruger SR1911 .45.
    Oh, wait a minute: must be the Ruger Security Six :ugh: since I sold the S/W 64-8.
    I have looked at different .38 and .357 that have been for sale that I would have bought had I not had the Security Six,
    but most cost more than what I have in my Security Six since I got a couple of boxes of ammo with it (reducing the price of the gun by my reckoning,
    and when I tell the wife what it cost I definitely subtract the free ammo) :dunno:.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    15 round mags are still available from Ruger. Maybe if you make it down to southern IN we can get together and you could shoot my P944 (.40 version of the P94)(Not for sale).

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I forgot the Ash Comic Book show was happening tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder. I tend to get to one about once a year, not like when I was in my 20s and went all the time.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I forgot the Ash Comic Book show was happening tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder. I tend to get to one about once a year, not like when I was in my 20s and went all the time.

1. When my 33 yr. old son was young (8-12: in that range), for years we used to go to sport card shows and comic shows every weekend if they had them, especially the Star Trek Convention at Thanksgiving time: saw nearly all the original series actors/actresses.
    He was little so he'd work the 25 cent boxes under the tables why I worked on top of the tables.
    2. We had quite the collection: sold the Spiderman collection for $1400, and my other Marvel Comics characters for about $300/box; we had fun getting as many in a run collected as we could from the cheap boxes.
    3. Since I'm selling what is the rest of my collection (Science Fiction) I can't wait to see if the dealers want to buy some my stuff since I'm just trying to get rid of it.
    4. I thought I'd wait till I retired and sell on Ebay, but after moving I don't have the room for storage.
    5. The expensive part of my collection I won't be taking, though: #1-60 of the original Star-Trek and others that came later and the original Star Wars (3 different series). Solar: Man of the Atom, and Magnus: Robot Fighter = classics! :laugh:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I still have my late father's P-89. Its a blast to shoot.

I learned the hard way that its just too fat for me to shoot efficiently. I tried running it in an IDPA match and I gave up after the first stage and switched back to my G19; I couldnt quickly manipulate the mag release.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    1. When my 33 yr. old son was young (8-12: in that range), for years we used to go to sport card shows and comic shows every weekend if they had them, especially the Star Trek Convention at Thanksgiving time: saw nearly all the original series actors/actresses.

Starbase Indy was my first convention in 1991. In the 90s I went for several years. I helped out with InConJunction up till a few years ago (4th of July weekend).

I also have a few comic series that if I were to get rid of all my comics (I have been thinking about it) that I wouldn't get rid of. Namely my full run of Spiderwoman from the 70s, all of my Continuity Comics from the 80s and 90s. Maybe a few others here and there. Most of what I would keep wouldn't effect the value of the collection.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Made it to the range unexpectedly!

My only negative comment is the mag release is not as smooth as I'm used to on other guns.
    Well, there was the putting the ammo in the magazines which got rough after 7 rounds.
    The 3 dot system still not enough for me to see well (you should see me shoot when no color is on the sights at all).

At 30' I am getting 4/10 shots w/in 2 inches, and 7 shots in 3 or 4 inches.
    Getting about the same with 21' as well.
    I seemed to shoot worse when I used the non-Ruger magazine?
    Is that possible, or is it just me?
    And, when using the non-Ruger mag it shot more left and low?

I took the wrong ammo with me so I ran out of 9mm and couldn't compare the Ruger 89 to my Shield 9
    and only got a magazine of my Glock 26 through,
    so I can't compare the 3 yet.

I did like the feel of it

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Me smells a 9mm for sale in the not so distant future.

1. That has been the pattern, but nearing the end of such frenzy. In May, it will have been 1 year: what a ride! :rockwoot:
    2. I have sold off 3 guns this past weekend and 3 guns a couple of weeks prior to that, so I'm making progress on my "trimming."
    3. At least I haven't bought any new 22LR guns, in the past few days, at least. :laugh: I even sold a 22LR (Beretta tip-up), which is monumental for me.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I seemed to shoot worse when I used the non-Ruger magazine?
    Is that possible, or is it just me?
    And, when using the non-Ruger mag it shot more left and low?

All other things being normal, the magazine should not impact accuracy (unless you are gripping differently due to the magazine due to different base pad or something else). The round is already in the chamber, and magazine should be out of the equation for accuracy.

There are charts all over the internet for shooting in various directions, especially left and low.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/cure-a-flinch/

3690d1303674258-shooting-low-left-pistol-correction-rh-mini.jpg

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... Is that possible, or is it just me? ...

It's you. :)

You usually shoot low and left, right? I've seen it in multiple threads of yours. There's a reason for that. No magic pistol is going to correct/change that.

Which is why formal coaching has been recommended more than once.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It's you. :)

You usually shoot low and left, right? I've seen it in multiple threads of yours. There's a reason for that. No magic pistol is going to correct/change that.

Which is why formal coaching has been recommended more than once.

1. Guilty as charged. :dunno:
    2. I was hoping to take care of some training this summer, but I won't be mobile or even drive for a few weeks (I've been told) as soon as the school year is over so I will have to hope that in a couple of weeks after surgery my wife will drop me off at the range, at least. :laugh:
    3. Training will have to wait, this summer isn't going to work out well for me: bummer. :ugh:
    4. And, insult to injury, next summer (if I can wait that long) I have to go through the same procedure: bummer x2. :crying:

Top Bottom