• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Just curious...
    Probably been hashed over here dozens of times but I can't find a definitive answer.

I have 2 lowers still in the boxes, they have never been built into anything.
    To build a pistol would I need to buy a lower that is specific listed as a pistol on the paperwork when buying, or will one of my already new lowers be acceptable?
    I can't remember if I read about this before..

I'd say it's probably old age that I can't recall the answer on this.. lol

Thanks everyone!

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    about a month ago... i'm not sure what they were marked as on the paper, more than likely rifles i suspect. they are Anderson lowers and marked multi cal. no mention on the packaging or lower as to rifle or other.

I guess when in doubt, I should just get another lower specifically marked pistol.. What's another lower gonna hurt? lol

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Most likely transferred as "other". Call the FFL and ask how they transfer them.

There is no need for the lower to be marked "pistol".

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Well Duh, I never thought of that. I'll check with the FFL.

Just a little dense at times..

Thanks guys!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    the dealer should have marked the "other" since they neither had stocks, nor were they assembled

if they had stocks attached to them, they would have been marked on the 4473 as either pistol or rifle (i.e. if they had a round pistol tube attached, the dealer would have marked pistol, and if they had a tube attached for a rifle, the 4473 would have been marked rifle)

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    yep, see what the FFL had marked, I've done this before (had to call to verify a lower was transferred as "other"). This way it can become either :)
    If one become a rifle, and gets a stock attached, it should remain a rifle from that point - or so I've been told. If anyone cares to confirm or deny, that'd be fine.

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    yep, see what the FFL had marked, I've done this before (had to call to verify a lower was transferred as "other"). This way it can become either :)
    If one become a rifle, and gets a stock attached, it should remain a rifle from that point - or so I've been told. If anyone cares to confirm or deny, that'd be fine.

If it starts as a rifle, it is always a rifle. If its built into a pistol or firearm then it can change between a pistol, rifle, and firearm. Don't ask me why, thats just how our weird laws work.

Top Bottom