• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Short version: Glock 26 comes through again, but Shield always beats everything in my hand which is why it is my benchmark.
    I'll have a more definitive test before I sell anything, though, to be sure.

I had 2 body targets with head and torso with a couple of ancillary circles to shoot at.
    I shot the Ruger P89SD against the Glock.
    If there is no advantage to having the Ruger and the Glock beats it out, the Ruger's time could be limited, but it will take awhile to verify that.

When I shot the Shield at a different target, I think it beat out both of the others: was is it about the Shield that brings it out on top of the competition?
    I'll have to use the same target for all three to be sure next time.

Used 10 round mags for the following.
    40': Glock WINS
    Ruger P89= body cavity shots: 0 in white; 7 in gray; 3 in blue
    Glock 26= body cavity shots: 2 in white; 7 in gray; 1 in blue
    Score for body best body shots = Ruger 7; Glock 9

30': Glock WINS
    Ruger = head shots: 2 in white; 4 in gray; 4 in blue
    Glock = head shots: 2 in white; 5 in gray; 3 in blue
    Score for best head shots = Ruger 6; Glock 7

20': (20 rounds, if not add up to 20, the rounds were further out)
    Mixed results
    Ruger = in circle: 6 in 2"; 9 in 3"
    Ruger = in circle: 8 in 2"; 9 in 3"
    Glock = in circle: 8 in 2"; 10 in 3"
    Glock = in circle: 4 in 2"; 9 in 3"
    Score for best small circle shots of 2" = Ruger 14; Glock 12
    Score for best small circle shots of 3" = Ruger 18; Glock 19

With the Shield's targets: white is smaller than a head, and the orange border is about head size; gray is bigger than a head (outside of orange)
    40':
    Shield = 2 in white; 2 in orange; 3 in gray

30':
    Shield = 5 in white; 3 wild and low (9-10 inches)

20':
    Shield = 6 in white; 2 in orange; 0 in gray
    Shield = 4 in white; 3 in orange; 1 in gray
    Shield = 5 in white; 1 in orange; 2 in gray

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...When I shot the Shield at a different target, I think it beat out both of the others: was (what) is it about the Shield that brings it out on top of the competition?...

Most likely it is that you have had the Shield the longest and shot it the most which reinforces what several people have suggested...pick one, stick with it and practice with it the most as your main defensive weapon while you dabble with the others for fun.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

Most likely it is that you have had the Shield the longest and shot it the most which reinforces what several people have suggested...pick one, stick with it and practice with it the most as your main defensive weapon while you dabble with the others for fun.

Which reminds me that I need some practice with the Glocks.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

Hmmm?

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Double HMMMMM?

So it's the Glock-26 today?

Apples and Oranges to me Glock-26 or Glock-27 ?!?

For now for me that's the Glock-27, yesterday, today, and I bet tomorrow.

It is fun to try them all, as many as you can though Huh?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Double HMMMMM?

So it's the Glock-26 today?

Apples and Oranges to me Glock-26 or Glock-27 ?!?

For now for me that's the Glock-27, yesterday, today, and I bet tomorrow.

It is fun to try them all, as many as you can though Huh?

1. It has been a fun run, this past year! :rockwoot:
    2. Just when I think I'm done (like after buying the Glock 26), something else comes along that looks interesting (Ruger SR1911, the Beretta 92, then this Ruger P89SD) so it seems like it will never end.
    3. You know you might be having too much fun (buying, shooting and selling), when you get the credit card bill for Southern Ohio Gun for the Beretta 92, and you have already bought, shot, and sold it and bought something else, the Ruger P89SD and have been to the range with it times already.
    4. "The Glock 26 today?" Close call, but since I have my Shield for my CC 9mm, the Glock gets kept b/c it can keep up with the larger frame 9mms, like the Beretta 92 or the Ruger P89SD.
    5. I don't have to be in a hurry to make any decisions since I have my total gun count down to a more modest # (and I haven't even barely begun to reduce the bevy of 22LRs). :dunno: I shall enjoy the Ruger and the Glock, and glad I don't have to choose between them for now.
    6. Ah, such fun, though!
    7. I have barely even shot my beloved "new" 22LR guns b/c of trying out new purchases of the 9mm persuasion, except for breaking in the new Bersa Thunder 22 insuring which ammo it will eat, since I have found two it won't.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Another range day with the Ruger P89SD, Glock 26 and S/W M/P Shield 9mm.

Short version:
    In categories going from 1" up to 8" (with 1" meaning a 1" circle around a middle point, which makes it a 2" circle, therefore the 4" from a middle point is really an 8" circle):
    Shield won 5/8 of the categories: 3" (tied with Glock), 5", 6", 7" and 8" (tied with Ruger P89)
    Glock won 3/8 of the categories: 2", 3" (tied w/Shield), 4"
    Ruger P89SD won 1" (must have gotten lucky, an outleir), 8" (tied with Shield)

NOTE: All guns shot 2 magazines, but the Shield only shot 8 per mag while the other two shot 10 per mag, so I should have put 4 more rounds in the Shield, which would have made it even more of the winner than comparing 16 rounds of the Shield to 20 rounds in the Glock and Ruger.

This was at 40 feet, not my usual shorter distances (15' or 20'/21' or 30'), just for fun.

At 2" Glock wins by one round over the Shield.
    At 3" Glock and the Shield were the same.
    At 4" Glock beats the Shield by 1 round and they are nearly double over the Ruger.
    At 5" Shield is way ahead of the other two which are nearly tied: with the Glock edging out the Ruger by 1 round.
    At 6" Shield was ahead 15 to 11 shots over both the Glock and Ruger
    At 7" Shield leads by 1 round over Glock which leads over the Ruger by 1 round.
    At 8" there was only 1 round difference between them, virtually the same.

If I had to cut one of the guns, the Ruger P89SD would get the cut.
    It get beats in every category, only tying in the overall 8".
    It is not justifying its existence compared to other two other than I like the heavy weight and it is stainless steel.
    It reminds me of the Ruger 1911 .45 acp

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range time again

2" = Glock 26 wins huge
    4" = Glock wins huge
    6" = Glock 26 and Shield tie

The Ruger P89SD got beat in every category, scoring last in each.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have a decent collection of pistols and have done some ammo testing. Most are not very sensitive to the brand or bullet weight but a couple really wake up and shoot single hole groups with the right load.

You should take some various brands and loads next time. See if it wakes up something that didn't win one of your range day shootouts.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have a decent collection of pistols and have done some ammo testing. Most are not very sensitive to the brand or bullet weight but a couple really wake up and shoot single hole groups with the right load.

You should take some various brands and loads next time. See if it wakes up something that didn't win one of your range day shootouts.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1. I don't have much experience with comparing different brands, except when I was using my small tip-up 22LR Berettas, Bersa Thunder 22LR or Beretta Nano, that I found ammo sensitive. With the .38 I have used different ammo, and last evening I did notice a difference in groupings especially with the Ruger Security Six, but I was using reloads compared to Perfecta (bought 3k rounds last summer). The reloads shot better. :dunno:
    2. Presently, my Bersa Thunder .22LR has more ammo that it won't use than it will use. :wallbash:
    I will put CCI 1230 FPS hollow point through it and it won't work, but CCI 1280 non-hollow point will.
    I ASSumed that any good Hi-Velocity would work: no!
    3. I'm about to the point of selling it but I need to test more of my other 22LRs to see if any of those are finicky, also (haven't noticed yet, but some of the newer 22LR semi-autos I just haven't been able to fire in weeks and weeks, but only tested them (100-200 rounds).
    4. I've been too busy having fun testing out my .38 special ("new" Ruger Security Six)and "new" Ruger P89SD. Both of these "new" guns need sight adjustments. Security Six very low and the P89 very much to the right (you can tell where someone has already adjusted it before, but not enough apparently.
    5. The Glock is shooting righteously, amazing me sometimes (at 20') :laugh:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'd say if you can't put ~5 rounds into the same hole at 7 yards you should take a class and do some dry firing. If you have pistol / ammo combos that shoot that well then move them back to 15 yards. See if you can still shoot one ragged hole. If good at 15 yards then see if you can make 5 out of 5 head shots at 25 yards.

My two most accurate semi auto are Steyr M9-A1 using NATO 124 grain. It hates everything else and will fail the above test. The 2nd gun is my Walther PPQ .40. Not very ammo picky but with the right load will easily pass the above test. Both of my GP100 .357 are tack drivers as is my S&W 629.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range time with only the Shield 9 mm and the Glock 26 to help me decide which to train with in a couple of weeks.
    Didn't want to start another thread (upon advice) even though the title is as accurate for just this.

30' Shield 9 vs Glock 26
    To93ZfT.jpg

20' Shield 9 only
    qMT5urC.jpg

Top Bottom