• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I would like to know what gun my dad would have carried as a pilot.

My kids were asking me and I felt very stupid that my brother and I didn't know for sure what gun it was. I've looked at the few photos he had but nothing on them. Not even sure: would it have been holstered on him (chest) or in a gear bag or elsewhere in the cockpit? (probably holstered on his person in case of ejecting) or did the ejection seat have a compartment to hold it?

US Navy Pilot 1950-53 (I believe)

He did mentioned that he practiced and qualified with a 38 revolver. That's as much as I really know for sure. So I'm assuming it was also what he had in the cockpit? No idea what companies were issuing back then. Maybe he had a choice?

He flew-
    - North American T-6 Texan - (probably trainers)
    - Lockheed F-80 - (still might be trainers)
    - Grumman F9F Panther - (definitely his main plane while on the carrier)

Just an INGO inquiry to identify the gun and maybe in the future (before I die) of purchasing one to give to my kids as nostalgia. (after I die)
    Any old farts on here serve in that era that would know anything or could push me in the right direction?

Fun Fact: My dad absolutely hated the ocean and was very scared of heights....... so he Flew Planes..... in the Navy..... on an Aircraft Carrier. That never made any sense to me. :scratch:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I don't know if you're going to be able to narrow it down.
    There is no standard "Navy Pilot" gun.

I'm not sure how the pilot's guns work, but the guns used by ship's company tend to be determined by whatever the Commander of the Vessel decides to spend ship's money on.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The Navy used to issue S&W Model 15’s. There were a boatload of’em at NSWC Crane, and the DOD cops carried them for the longest time.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    At that time there were still a lot of S&W Victory models in service.....

DSC_0050_zpsffb90137.jpg
    propmark2.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't know if you're going to be able to narrow it down.
    There is no standard "Navy Pilot" gun.

I'm not sure how the pilot's guns work, but the guns used by ship's company tend to be determined by whatever the Commander of the Vessel decides to spend ship's money on.

Pretty much this. I don't know how you'd figure it out without a photo of the revolver or documents from the ship.

Taken from an American Rifleman article:

Following the conclusion of World War II...Even though the .45 remained the standard issue combat sidearm, a surprising number of revolvers were issued to the military after 1945...non-infantry types were often issued revolvers. These were generally commercial pattern .38 Spl. revolvers that were either left over from stocks or were procured in relatively small quantities directly from civilian arms makers (typically Colt or S&W) to meet the limited demand....

So it could be a left over Victory, could be anything commercially available at the time, and without more info you can't really narrow it down.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    The Smith & Wesson .38 was the most commonly used 38 Special revolver used in the Korean War era. The Victory Model (WWII production) or Smith & Wesson .38 Hand Ejector Model (pre-WWII) could have been used. When S&W started using Model numbers in 1957, the designation for new production was Model 10.

If you are interested in the S&W Victory Model more information is available at the S&W Forum.

Pre-Victory and Victory Model Timeline

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    WOW!
    Thanks guys. It looks like S&W would have been it. To really narrow down HIS particular model, like said, I would need his picture or ship documents. (does the Navy just hand those out?) Shoulder rig sounds about right. I'm not due to dig in that part of the garage for maybe another year or so. A continuing project/burden of mine. Slowly going through my parents house since they past away. :wallbash:

My brother tells me, he thinks there might be some old 8mm videos of him. Could just be launching and landings but we will see. Not sure how well stored old vids will last. When I find them, hopefully I can get them digitalized.

Those pictures are priceless. I guess I've been looking in the wrong parts of the web.

On my dads fears -
    He told me in training he had to jump off some kind of high platform into a pool. To simulate jumping off the aircraft carrier in case of fire of whatever. He said he stood up there and argued with guy that he would be the first one overboard if there was a fire on his ass but right now there's no fire on this here platform. He eventually jumped off but that's how bad he was.

On commercial airliners he was a total wreck too. Never able to sleep. He said if he was flying the plane, he'd be OK but he made a terrible passenger.

Thanks for all the help. Any more evidence I find, I will post up.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Good luck on your photo hunt, I hope you find one that answers your question. Revolvers hung around for a long time. I know the Air Force used revolvers right up to and after the M9 was adopted. The first time I fired Air Force Qualification course it was with a Smith & Wesson 38 caliber and that was in 1982.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    My dad was also a Navy pilot from '61-80. He retired in '88 after flying a desk the last 8 years of his career. He told me he carried a 5-shot .38 snubby, but couldn't remember who made it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This may not be immediately relevant, buy you reminded me of a story told by an old man who lived up the street when I was a kid. He had been a pilot and told me a story about being issued an extremely lightweight aluminum .38 revolver of which he was relieved before he departed the service, prompting me to consult with Google and find the following:

The Colt Aircrewman Special: The All Aluminum 38 - Guns.com

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Top Bottom