• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Spent time at 40' and 20' with all the 38s today.

Short version, at 40' in S/A the Taurus wins hands down.
    (1" means 1" from a middle point = a 2" circle, therefore, 4" around a middle point = an 8" circle)
    The Ruger had a 6 round cylinder (I should have loaded only 5 for accurate comparison)

2" Taurus wins: 3 to 0/Ruger and 0/Smith (D/A only)
    3" Taurus wins big again: 4 to 2/Ruger and 1/Smith (D/A only)
    4" Taurus wins big again: 6 to 2/Ruger and 2/Smith (D/A only)
    5" Ruger wins: 10 to 7/Taurus and 3/Smith (D/A only)

Short version at 20' in D/A = Taurus wins hands down.

2" Taurus wins: 5 to 2/Smith and 0/Ruger
    3" Taurus wins: 10 to 7/Ruger and 4/Smith
    Ruger beats out the Smith in the wider hits.

Short version at 20' in S/A = Ruger wins big (Smith 642 hammerless, no S/A)

1" Ruger beats Taurus by 1 round
    2" Both tie (8 rounds each)
    3" Ruger/12 to Smith/8 (Smith only had 10 rounds, but it still makes the point)

Smith 642 would have to go if trimming, but since it is hammerless it has utility for a CC.
    Amazing to me that the Taurus beats out the Ruger in D/A: I know it is me, the X-factor.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I have the S&W 642 and the Taurus 85. I had to work over the 642 to get it perfect. The Taurus was perfect out of the box.
    The 642 shoots perfect, 1/2 " above POA at 7 yards.
    The Taurus shoots perfect also, 1/2" above POA at 7 yards.
    The S&W cost me $275 new in box.
    The Taurus cost me $159 new in box.
    The 642 is very light (airweight) and so smooth.
    The 85 is a little heavier (all steel) but so much smoother double action.
    I tend to like the Taurus better but when weight is a consideration I might go with the 642.
    The 85 absorbs recoil better being heavier.
    As far as specs go (measurements) both are perfect in every way, cylinder gaps .005, cylinder throats .3575, barrels slug .3575. I cannot find fault with either one of them.
    Sorry, I don't have any 38 special Rugers, only .22lr.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have the S&W 642 and the Taurus 85. I had to work over the 642 to get it perfect. The Taurus was perfect out of the box.
    The 642 shoots perfect, 1/2 " above POA at 7 yards.
    The Taurus shoots perfect also, 1/2" above POA at 7 yards.
    The S&W cost me $275 new in box.
    The Taurus cost me $159 new in box.
    The 642 is very light (airweight) and so smooth.
    The 85 is a little heavier (all steel) but so much smoother double action.
    I tend to like the Taurus better but when weight is a consideration I might go with the 642.
    The 85 absorbs recoil better being heavier.
    As far as specs go (measurements) both are perfect in every way, cylinder gaps .005, cylinder throats .3575, barrels slug .3575. I cannot find fault with either one of them.
    Sorry, I don't have any 38 special Rugers, only .22lr.

1. Great prices.
    2. Smith 642 @ Cabelas last summer: $300
    3. Tuarus (a lightweight, unlike yours) I did a trade and have $200 in it.
    4. The Ruger is a Security Six .357, I just shoot .38 specials with it: have $390 in it.
    5. All are stainless steel or alloy for light weight.
    6. The Taurus is fine with recoil, but the Smith 642 still is an issue even after I got some "Delta" grips for it which is alot better than the OEM grips.
    7. What does "work over" involve? Curious whether you meant practice or sights/laser.
    8. The Taurus is really smooth. There was a Taurus 686 6" .357 for sale for $400 and I was tempted just b/c it has a great review for a solid gun: I'm glad it wasn't SS, or weakness might have overcome me. Since I have my Ruger Security Six, it has kept me from chasing after some wonderful .357s I've seen lately.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    "7. What does "work over" involve?"

Well when I first got the 642 it had a 17-1/2# DA trigger which was way to heavy.
    So I ordered a Wolff spring kit for it but not much help.

So I went looking for the problem, this is where you want to be really, really careful, you cannot afford any mistakes.
    What I found was the hand that rotates the cylinder was binding against the nodes on the ejector star.
    The hand was fine, no problem there, but the nodes (as I call them) were not clearance enough to prevent binding.

This is something that only a picture or a drawing could demonstrate adequately but what was happening is, as the
    hand comes up to rotate the cylinder,it rides in a very close tolerance channel, don't mess with it!
    But as it rises in contach it started to bind against side of the node because there wasn't enough clearance.

What I did involved a spent cartridge case to keep my jewelers file level and a black permanent marker pen
    to show my progress on the side of the node and of course my trigger pull gauge.

I was able to get the DA trigger pull down from 17-1/2# to 10# even and no more binding.
    It involved very, very little material removal but now it works great.

If that's not clear then only a picture will help.
    adequately

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    SHOOT POINT BLANK, Greenwood, In.
    Also got a Taurus, PT111-G2 for $210 and I found it to be perfect also.

1. Every time I shoot there, on my way out I go by and give a look in the used "rack."
    2. I have bought a gun there: Ruger single action (engraved).
    3. I almost bought a Taurus 22LR tip-up barrel and a Bersa Thunder .380 in the past.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    SHOOT POINT BLANK, Greenwood, In.
    Also got a Taurus, PT111-G2 for $210 and I found it to be perfect also.

You bought a new-in-box S&W 642 from Shoot Point Blank for $275?

I'm gonna need video on that one. :):

Shoot Point Blank is usually about $100 higher than a real gun shop. That's an amazing price on a new 642.
    I hate Airweights, but I don't know if I could leave a new one sitting in the case for $275.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You bought a new-in-box S&W 642 from Shoot Point Blank for $275?

I'm gonna need video on that one. :):

Shoot Point Blank is usually about $100 higher than a real gun shop. That's an amazing price on a new 642.
    I hate Airweights, but I don't know if I could leave a new one sitting in the case for $275.

1. Totally agree: I'm jealous.
    2. The most "screaming" deal on those was at Cabelas last summer that someone here put me onto and I "ran" not walked over to the store to get it.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    The trick, if you can call it that, is to have a cash stash available at all times and when a good deal pops up, you don't have to think twice, just grab it.

But, on the other hand, I don't buy just any good deal. It has to be very special to me.

It's not that I just (LOVE) guns. I very much like fine craftsmanship but it has to be useful to me.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The trick, if you can call it that, is to have a cash stash available at all times and when a good deal pops up, you don't have to think twice, just grab it.

But, on the other hand, I don't buy just any good deal. It has to be very special to me.

It's not that I just (LOVE) guns. I very much like fine craftsmanship but it has to be useful to me.

Wondering if the fact that it had a 17lb trigger played into their pricing?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range time again with .38 special
    20' and D/A only results:

2" = Tie between Smith (642) and Taurus (85)
    4" = Smith wins by 1 over Taurus
    6" = Taurus wins big
    8" = Taurus wins by 1 over Smith

Note: Ruger Security Six is last in every category

20' and S/A only results (Smith only D/A):

2" = Taurus wins
    4" = Taurus wins
    6" = Taurus wins
    8" = Taurus wins
    10" = Taurus wins

Note: Ruger Security 6 loses in every category by a big margin in every category.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Range pic with a SW 64-5 (SS, 6 rds, DAO, 4"), that I'm going to sell for a friend.
    I like to have range pics with any gun I sell so people can see how it groups.
    It has been fun having a 36 oz & longer barrel .38 sp to shoot again.
    Gone are the days of shooting boxes of .38 or .357 magnum revolvers in a range visit.
    Mostly just function checks anymore, living off of limited supplies of "pre-election" ammo.

In the past, I've owned a few of the 64 series, as well as the model 10 & other revolvers.
    Since this one is DAO, not as accurate as those having the SA option, but still a pleasure to shoot with its smooth trigger.

Earlier this week I put 18 rds through it for a function check & it grouped the same.
    At 21' POI was a little low earlier this week, so I raised the front sight up a little today.
    If I would have had another silhouette with me, I would have shot 30' to see if the
    POI coincided with the POA.

21' using reloads.
    First round I "adjusted" too much on head, haha!
    Range 10.28. 2022 24 rds at 21 ft silhouette.jpg

1st time shooting at 21' in 5.75" circles.
    Ignore the .22LR rds near the 3/4" red dots
    & the 22LR flier outside the 1st circle at 7 o'clock.
    I do like to "milk" my targets so I don't have to buy anymore, ever, haha!
    Range 10.26.2022 Ed SW 38 sp 1st 12 rds edited.jpg

1666993446725.png

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    SW 64-5 follow up!
    I love this revolver, belonging my best friend, which is the same model as one here in the Classifieds.
    I am (was) going to sell it for him. :laugh:
    The ad is done & ready to list with all my inane comments & insights, as is my style, haha! :lmfao:
    I unexpectedly had to go out of town yesterday, so I wasn't able to list it.
    But, I decided to buy the the gun myself yesterday after my research was done, haha! :rockwoot:
    The fact that it is a DAO is fine b/c I don't entertain myself with shooting boxes of 38 special accurately anymore. :draw:
    But, am always pleased to have an 80s or 90s SW revolver or semi-auto in the safe.
    I will simply justify it as another house gun. :dunno:
    I will look forward to taking it back to the range & having my way with it since an INGO friend gave me 2 boxes of 38 special reloads. :ingo:
    This range time I will splurge & shoot some free hand at a silhouette, which won't be pretty, haha! :ugh:

1667495554543.png

Last edited:
    Top Bottom