• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    This just about slipped past me, but there's a thread about it over on the S&W forum. Exciting to me as a wheel gun fan for sure. I have the 66-8 4.25" that was re-introduced back in 2014, and love it. I couldn't wait to get my hands on the even newer 66-8 2.75" that came out last year, and it's also been a winner, just rang steel from 100 yards with it last weekend.

The new Model 19 Classic appears to be based on the 66-8 4.25". The new Performance Center carry comp is what really has my attention, as I tend to be a fan of the shorter K-Frame barrels. I've got a 19-5 4" that I got from a member on here and absolutely love, so I'm eager to see both of these new models when they start hitting the shelves.

sw_lede_model_19_pr.gif

I personally think the 3" PC carry comp is a naughty little beast.

I know there are still those who will never buy a new S&W because of the internal lock. That's fine, it leaves more for the rest of us. I'm not crazy about the IL either, but my IL models have never given me a lick of trouble. And I'm glad to see S&W bring back a model I've been wanting them to for a long time.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Any word on pricing? Curious what this will mean for the value of old 19's
    I think the 4.25" will see real-world pricing around the same as the 66-8 4.25", which is in the low to mid-$700 range, give or take a bit until the newness wears off. The PC 3" will probably be a bit north of $1K. There's some speculation about what the new Model 19 Classic will do to values of legacy 19's, but if the re-release of the 66-8 is any indication, I don't think values will be impacted much, if any at all... I think the originals will continue to hold their value as the Model 66 has.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It's nice to see that all new guns being introduced do not come from an injection molding machine. I really need to spend more time with wheel guns.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    WOW .... good catch, Hopper ! When I discharged from the Air Force in 1976, I picked-up a Model 19, 2.5" barrel, nickel plated. I purchased it from the infamous Don, of Don's Guns, and he told me that it had been his carry piece.
    I carried that 19 for about a decade, and greatly regret selling it. That PC model of the 19 should scratch a long itch that I've had. I must get to a dealer and order one ASAP ! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

putsjunior

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Suburma
    I wish they’d bring out a model 39 in the classic series. Every time I find an old one for sale, they either look like they’ve been through the ringer, or somebody beats me to it.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I love my 1960s era Model 19 and like the new 3” model but the set back of the front sight bother me....I suppose if that’s my only complaint; it’s not much of a complaint.
    Yes, I agree... the sight looks funny set back like that, which is because it's directly behind the port on top of the barrel. The 586 L-Comp is setup like this too, and I've always thought it looked a little peculiar. But not in a terrible way. I think it would have looked a little nicer with ports on the sides of the barrel so the sight could be situated at the front end.

I found a quick image of the 586 L-Comp:

170170_01_lg_0_0.jpg

You need to post a pic of your 3" M19 please. That's a rare bird, and probably good that you didn't bring it and leave it unattended at the CZ shoot!

Last edited:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I’ve got a few older classic S&W revolvers but these new models are making me crazy with my credit cards rattling in my wallet saying: get one, no get two! Ouch!

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Yes, I agree... the sight looks funny set back like that, which is because it's directly behind the port on top of the barrel. The 586 L-Comp is setup like this too, and I've always thought it looked a little peculiar. But not in a terrible way. I think it would have looked a little nicer with ports on the sides of the barrel so the sight could be situated at the front end.

I found a quick image of the 586 L-Comp:

170170_01_lg_0_0.jpg

You need to post a pic of your 3" M19 please. That's a rare bird, and probably good that you didn't bring it and leave it unattended at the CZ shoot!

I would have prefered the side porting...

sw-629d.gif

My post probably wasn't well worded. My Model 19 is a 4" 19-2. Pretty common and a great shooter and was my father's service pistol during his short tenure in law enforcement BUT - thanks for letting me know I need to watch you closer at the next shoot. LOL! I brought along a Texas Longhorn Arms Improved No. 5 that you should have put some rounds through! That is a sweet shooting revolver.

I just wish SW would abandoned the hillary hole. If they did, I promise to not ever complain about sight and porting placement.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Any word on pricing? Curious what this will mean for the value of old 19's

I think the Hillary Hole will keep the value of the real ones right where they are at.

That little comp gun is an abomination. The front sight don't go there. Period. :):

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I guess I embrace form a little more than I thought. That rearward placement of the front sight is a deal breaker for me. I'd rather have the sight forward all the way and no porting.

I really like the lines of a S&W revolver. Well, good news: I'm off to the range to shoot my 586! Bad news: first time shooting this year. :xmad:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    My post probably wasn't well worded. My Model 19 is a 4" 19-2. Pretty common and a great shooter and was my father's service pistol during his short tenure in law enforcement BUT - thanks for letting me know I need to watch you closer at the next shoot. LOL! I brought along a Texas Longhorn Arms Improved No. 5 that you should have put some rounds through! That is a sweet shooting revolver.
    Nahh, your post was worded fine... it's my reading comprehension that needs a little work! I've got a 19-5 that's just a dream to shoot. Got it off a member here, and with a little wash & wax and checking the internals under the side plate with just a dab of lube here and there, it's a keeper.

Ww0gaHN.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

I keep looking at the upcoming 3" Carry Comp. As you and I and others have noted, I don't know if I could get used to the sight being set back a bit from the tip of the barrel where the port is. I understand why it's that way, but like that pic you found, side porting would have made all the difference. What I can't tell for sure is if the 3" is a sleeved barrel like the 4.25". Seems like being a ported barrel would mean it's a one-piece, as it would take some attention to detail to line up the port on the sleeve with the one in the barrel, and the 586 L-Comp is a one-piece setup.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom