• ...and so much more!
  • rabbit hunter mab

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    SHELBYVILLE
    Well I just purchased a Ruger Gp 100 22 never thought I would spend that kind of money on a 22 revelor has any on else owned one and if so what is your thoughts on it should have it by the end of the week I will give my update after a trip to the woods.Thanks

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    GP100 is a great piece, in any caliber. It doesn't matter what we all think about it, you take it to the woods and then tell us how great it is!

(be sure tp post a pic for us)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I feel your pain: I have been away from guns since 1990 (but came back a year ago) and I was used to buying .22LRs or $20-$50: imagine my surprise!
    And, I don't even want to talk about ammo.
    I sold my favorite gun (massive Taurus .22 magnum) simply b/c with a dozen 22LRs to shoot, I wasn't going to buy magnum ammo to run through it.
    I do have a small Smith 342 Airweight revolver I can't part with yet,
    but it's not a range gun that I would be putting 200 rounds through in a visit anyway.
    It's a short barrel and I'm not very accurate with it also to increase the "no-fun" factor.

I looked for months (starting last May (2017) for a large frame .22LR used.
    I couldn't find anything and what I found was 4" barrel and they were wanting $500 for it.
    The contenders were:
    S/W 617 for $690 (Hoosier Armory),
    Ruger GP100 for $600 (Hoosier Armory),
    Taurus 990 (I think that's the number) for $500, but not available.

I had made up my mind I wasn't going cheap (1st time in my life :laugh:) and I was going to spend the extra $90 and get the Smith.
    But, I was in the store with the GP100 in my hand and I would have had to have ordered the Smith, and all my reading said: no difference, both are magnificent.
    Since I'm old I don't need bragging rights on brands, I bought the GP100 for $600 plus tax plus 3% credit card fee = $661.

Always wanted to compare it to the Smith 617 and got my chance at the range rental, and was not impressed with the Smith being any better on any level than the Ruger GP100.
    I'm quite the novice, however, and perhaps someone who has better experience would appreciate any nuances.
    Most that have that kind of experience do trigger jobs and other things that I have no appreciation for since I can barely see the target anyway. :rofl:
    I now also have the big Taurus Tracker (paid $350ish, but it's only a 4").
    I was going to upgrade to a 6" barrel off a guy in INGO but he lives 3 hrs. away and neither of us wants to travel that far. :dunno:

As far as shooting, I have not put that many rounds through it (few hundred) b/c of buying and shooting so many others, then selling them and buying more to shoot (my idea of fun :rockwoot:). But, what's not to like? I love revolvers, and the heavier, clunkier and brick-like: the better! :laugh:
    I spent more on that gun than any other (except for a quick run with a Ruger 1911), b/c I mostly buy in the $300+/- range (especially under $300).
    I am not regretting it at all.
    I have found only a couple of Smiths 617s that have come along in the past year, but they are running $700 (with some accessories) or are 4" barrels ($600), and since I can be picky, and don't have a need anyway. I missed my chance early on with a Smith 4" that I should have bought, but I hadn't got over the shock of the cost of a simple 22LR revolver at that time.
    I have gone through a spell of buying and trying out a bevy of 9mms, so I haven't had much time for any of my 22LRs guns that I have bought and only tried them out for function.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    it's a good gun. The GP100 is a solid design, and the .22 responds well to all of the same smithing that can be done (springs, polish, etc.)
    I'd look at sp101triggerjobDOTcom (the internals for the GP100 and SP101 are functionally the same) for a easy trigger job instructions - by the time you add in springs and shims, you can get that thing darn smooth AND it will still set off rimfire just fine.
    When I get a rimfire revolver, I may go for the SP101must to have a smaller kit gun.

Enjoy!
    P.S. the new S&W .22 revolvers are not worth the premium for the name (considering their QC for the last decade overall). I'll listen to arguments on Ruger vs S&W (both have their merits) for centerfire guns, but for rimfire, I can't justify the price tag of the S&Ws.

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    Let us know if you like it, I just missed out on a smith 617 when I took a day to think about whether I wanted to spend $650 on a 22 revolver.

After taking a day to think about it and hanging with a friend shooting wood bees on his dock with a single six loaded with federal #12 shot I realized my life will not be complete without a DA 22lr.

Im leaning towards the gp100 right now and would be interested to hear your thoughts

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I have 1 617 with a red dot on it. I did not consider anything else, since I have several S&W revolvers and many 686s. I think the 617 is a good way to practice for my other S&W revolvers. I sometimes shoot the 617 in local Steel Challenge matches. Lots of fun.

Top Bottom