• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Always looking for a good 9mm range gun and have tried out a few recently.
    Found this gun here for a good price.
    Not familiar with the brand, but my research shows it to be great.
    Looking forward to range time and see how it holds up to the Ruger P89SD that I've had to the range 3 times.

SPECIFICATIONS:
    Action :Double/Single
    Caliber :9mm
    Barrel Length :5.0 in
    Capacity :17+1
    Safety :Ambidextrous
    Grips :Black Polymer
    Sights :3-Dot Fixed
    Weight :26.5 oz
    Frame Finish :Black
    Frame Material :Stainless Steel
    Barrel Type :Cold Hammer-Forged Stainless Steel
    Slide Description :Black Stainless Steel
    Case Type

FNS1.jpg
    FNS2.jpg
    FNS3.jpg

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    What happen to the couch background??? Just kidding!

You should like it. I recall you liking large grips. You are all set to go do some competition shooting with that.

I've spent some time with a buddy's FNX45 Tactical and have really enjoy it. Pretty sure the FNS is fairly similar?

The back plate would bother me but I am easily........SQUIRREL...........

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    That backplate will remind you to howl at the moon when you hit the bullseye ...... that's what I'd do ! :D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Always looking for a good 9mm range gun and have tried out a few recently.
    Found this gun here for a good price.
    Not familiar with the brand, but my research shows it to be great.
    Looking forward to range time and see how it holds up to the Ruger P89SD that I've had to the range 3 times.

FN is one of the oldest manufacturers and has a well deserved reputation for making reliable, high quality firearms. Their primary thing is military weapons.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Yep. Next you’ll need a scar.

If Gary "popped" for a SCAR, I would have to check my pulse.
    He is way to tight for that.

On topic, I have owned some FN pistols, and still own an FNS compact in 9MM.
    They're good guns, I almost bought that one myself, but I am currently spending my money on home repairs, and guns that are no longer made.
    The guns no longer made are a much better investment.
    They continue to go up in value as opposed to Glocks and FN and any other current production guns.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What happen to the couch background??? Just kidding!

You should like it. I recall you liking large grips. You are all set to go do some competition shooting with that.

I've spent some time with a buddy's FNX45 Tactical and have really enjoy it. Pretty sure the FNS is fairly similar?

The back plate would bother me but I am easily........SQUIRREL...........

1. These pics are actually the ones from his ad (copy and paste works).
    2. Since this is the 2nd gun I've bought of him (not mentioning names b/c I came under criticism for processing about purchases, even though I never mentioned names or price I actually paid w/o permission: and yes, I was amazed/offended at the charge
    :scratch:), the Shield 9 I bought off him nearly a year ago had the "Wolf" as well. I told him I expected a Wolf on the next one I bought in another year. :rockwoot:
    3. The grips are nowhere near the level of the Beretta 92 or even the Glock 26 (with large ones on), but it is fine.
    4. I'm actually surprised it is as light as it is, for the size.

That backplate will remind you to howl at the moon when you hit the bullseye ...... that's what I'd do ! :D

5. Yes, I do always howl if I luck out and hit a bullseye: doesn't happen twice in a row. :laugh:

FN is one of the oldest manufacturers and has a well deserved reputation for making reliable, high quality firearms. Their primary thing is military weapons.

5. I read about their machine gun military application, and therefore will be switching this pistol over to full automatic since it is in the DNA. :lmfao:
    6. My research, and the prices I saw took away my concerns with my unfamiliarity.

Yep. Next you’ll need a scar.

7. Plenty of scars from surgeries, I'll just pass the 33 stitches on the stomach off as a "range incident." :D

If Gary "popped" for a SCAR, I would have to check my pulse.
    He is way to tight for that.

9. My wife said to me, "I thought you said you didn't need to buy anymore guns!" I assured her she took me out of context.
    8. Always comforting that my online friends know me and accept me despite my "cheap-arse" ways.
    9. As I become more informed and educated I will narrow my focus and "upgrade" to "better" guns.
    10. This gun will probably replace the Ruger P89SD, even though I have $100 less in it and I do love it, but I'm not keeping 2 range 9mm guns for my entertainment, not that I have to be in a hurry.
    11. I've got total hip replacement surgery coming up in June, and I won't do anything till after unless I can get some serious range time, but I have sooo much to get done before I can't drive and get around well. I didn't get my usual Thursday night range time b/c of friends from AZ here for the week. Then there was the night of planting and mulching my wife insisted on. :laugh:

On topic, I have owned some FN pistols, and still own an FNS compact in 9MM.
    They're good guns, I almost bought that one myself, but I am currently spending my money on home repairs, and guns that are no longer made.

12. I have bought more than 1 gun where I get the feedback that someone was going to buy it before I got it. Sometimes it was a couple of weeks later that they bought it off me: now that's funny! :laugh:

The guns no longer made are a much better investment.

13. I really enjoy my Ruger P89SD just b/c it is an old brick, older technology.
    I don't enjoy my 1990ish Colt Mustang though, kept it only b/c on name, but it is on the "short list" but no hurry, and I"ll probably ask too much for it since it has 4 mags and the original box/manual.
    I see them in the $500+/- range, mostly under $500.

They continue to go up in value as opposed to Glocks and FN and any other current production guns.Quote

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    The old FN line "FN9", FNP, FNS, FNX are all excellent. I haven't gotten hands on the FN509, but I'd imagine it's decent.

It'd be appropriate to think of FN as "Browning 1.5" I think :)
    Very cool history there!!!

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    The old FN line "FN9", FNP, FNS, FNX are all excellent. I haven't gotten hands on the FN509, but I'd imagine it's decent.

It'd be appropriate to think of FN as "Browning 1.5" I think :)
    Very cool history there!!!

The 509 is a fine pistol up until 3k rounds, then it fails to feed 4 or 5 times every magazine. I had 2 and both had the same issue right around the 2k mark. I liked the first one so much that I gave another one a try and it started to fail exactly the same as the first.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The 509 is a fine pistol up until 3k rounds, then it fails to feed 4 or 5 times every magazine. I had 2 and both had the same issue right around the 2k mark. I liked the first one so much that I gave another one a try and it started to fail exactly the same as the first.

Recoil spring or other maintenance type of issue you think?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Recoil spring or other maintenance type of issue you think?

Cleaned inspected reassembled and same issue. If i ran +p it fed every time. Switching to Glocks seemed to have fixed the problem.

Never had a problem with the fns9c, just 509. I wanted to love them.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Cleaned inspected reassembled and same issue. If i ran +p it fed every time. Switching to Glocks seemed to have fixed the problem.

Never had a problem with the fns9c, just 509. I wanted to love them.

Yep, that will fix it right up :ingo:. Never owned an FN, was just curious as it seemed related to wear/round count.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Yep, that will fix it right up :ingo:. Never owned an FN, was just curious as it seemed related to wear/round count.

I was curious too, but I couldn't find anything and neither could the Saturday morning crew at the lgs (not known for professionalism, mostly a group known for mildly entertaining lies and donuts) I think the spring should have been a little beefier, I feel like companies are going too light to make it easier to rack, and they advertise the 509 by racking it by its rear sight on a belt. I just don't have time for finicky firearms.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You know how I love to give a range report on any new gun, especially if I have similar guns to compare it with.
    In this case, the Ruger P89SD is in danger, but, we'll see.

Unfortunately, this week has been so hectic and I haven't been able to go to the range, with friends from out of state taking all my time, but he did help me install an new dining room light for the wife, twice (yes, really!). Didn't get the length right the first time, 6 inches too high (that's what happen when I friend helps. :laugh: )
    I measure not twice but a half-a-dozen times before I "cut," or in this case: hang.

I will go sometime this week, and with my son-in-law coming up this weekend I will take him to the range like the last visit.
    But, I have to teach my 15 yr. old granddaughter how to drive a manual (family tradition) now that she has her permit.
    Don't you wish you could learn to drive a stick on 1 of the top 10 sports cars ever made? :rockwoot: (2004 Honda S2000, don't laugh! :nono: I bought it with only 8725 miles on it 8 yrs. ago, and kept it longer than I do my guns :rofl:)
    I taught my kids on and 1979 MG and a 1994 Jeep.

INPoolPlayer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    NOBLESVILLE
    I was curious too, but I couldn't find anything and neither could the Saturday morning crew at the lgs (not known for professionalism, mostly a group known for mildly entertaining lies and donuts) I think the spring should have been a little beefier, I feel like companies are going too light to make it easier to rack, and they advertise the 509 by racking it by its rear sight on a belt. I just don't have time for finicky firearms.
    This is interesting. I bought a 509 late last summer. I'm not sure how many rounds I've put through it in the last 9 months, but my guess is I'm around the 2k mark and am yet to experience any of those issues. My problem with it at the moment is I can't seem to shoot it worth a damn, but that's probably the Indian rather than the arrow. I'm going to be very wary from now on though about these problems creeping up. It's a damn good gun. I'd hate to have to get rid of it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Very nice pistol OP, and a great brand name at that! ;)

1. I know! I feel like I have bought above my "station" in life with the FNS, and so the CZ, FNS, Dan Wessons, and other brands of a "tier up" from my S/W, Ruger, Walther, and Beretta tier brands that I usually indulge in get looked at but the price is so much higher than the brands that I mention I buy.
    2. The seller told me that it wasn't in the same class (but above) as the Ruger P89SD that I bought that I love, so that is exciting to me.
    3. I can't wait to see it it shoots better than my Glock 26 that I enjoy, but even if so, the Glock would not be in danger of being sold (possible CC), just the Ruger P89SD that is strictly a range toy.
    4. I feel such confidence in it as a used gun b/c of the seller (ex LEO) and his knowledge about everything guns (I've bought from him before, also).
    5. My research still indicates this was a stellar purchase since everything here and Armslist is higher by a healthy margin (even if prices listed are just "asking").
    6. Anytime I can get top-tier (to me) gun in the $300s: I'm there!
    7. I have been looking at Glock 42 and 43, but I won't pay the same price for them as I paid for my 26, so evidently I'm going to do w/o. :laugh: (which is why I hadn't bought a Glock earlier): healthy prices, and I was happy enough with my "lesser" tier guns.

Top Bottom