• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I need some help from the revolver experts. I’m considering adding a revolver to the collection, but I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed. The current working theory is that I’d like a 38/357 that has enough weight to be comfortable at the range, but still able to be concealed for the limited times that could occur. This will be my first non-rimfire revolver. I had a 6” Taurus 22 Magnum previously, enjoyed the revolver part but I had nothing else that used 22 Magnums. I won’t fool myself into thinking I’m going to blast away with full power magnums at the range all day, I’d just like the ability to use 357s on occasion. I have 10mms & 357s in semi-autos, which isn’t the same felt recoil but I’m not particularly recoil sensitive.

I have some platform/getting started thoughts I’d like to hear from more knowledgeable people on.

1) Is it a smarter idea to start with a larger frame before jumping into the smaller frames? My brain says yes, but it also says 38 Specials should be manageable without issue in the smaller frame.

2) Without having had a centerfire revolver or one of the more premium brand revolvers before I’m struggling a bit with the cost and not being quite convinced I’ll enjoy this enough for the cost. Now I do intend to do some rentals and experiment while I’m still in research mode and that will help on this point. I agree with the concept of buy once cry once, so is it worth springing for a higher end option the first time around? Or would it be better to pick up something used and cheap to learn on with minimal cash outlay? My gut says buy the nice one.

As to the revolvers themselves, I’ve got a couple smaller/lighter options and some larger/heavier options. I’d like to get some input on why or why not on these as well. After trying several in stores, I have decided that I don’t like the rear channel sights a lot of the smaller options have and I’m not in love with the airweights.

Handled:
    -Kimber K6S
    -Ruger GP100 Match Champ
    -Ruger SP101
    -SW 686

Trying to locate:
    -SW 60
    -SW 66

I know I’m bit all over the place at the moment. Hoping the input from INGO can help narrow things down and give a direction. So far I’ve looked at mostly 2-3” barrel versions and a couple of 4” versions. What I have overlooked or not looked at fairly? I’m open to new or used. I’m not in any rush to purchase this, I want to be sure before I buy this time. Will probably be the end of summer at the earliest.

Thanks for any input guys!

PS - I apologize now for any typos. I did this on my phone in between work projects.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    SP101.jpg

I don't have much use for any revolver, other than for fun at the range. But if I needed a revolver that strikes a great balance between being heavy enough to enjoy with .357 magnum rounds, but light enough to carry comfortably, I'd buy a Ruger SP101 3", put a good night sight on the front and fit it with Pachmayr Compac grips.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    The Ruger SP101 is a good choice. I run 2- 2" Charter Arms Undercover models from the early 80's in 38 spl. Both have been trouble free, but not much for range accuracy past 25 yards, and not .357 mags, but good carry guns.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you are going to shoot it a lot, I would go for a S&W 686. My first revolver... first handgun for that matter was a S&W 66 and I don't think you would go wrong with one. It is a little easier to carry. I have read that some of them had frames that didn't hold up to a lot of full magnum loads in huge amounts.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    OP - I've had or still own some of the items on your list. I'm not a recent convert, but have become a huge wheel gun fan in recent years after saying I'd never own one, which was after shooting my younger brother's 4" S&W Model 66 police trade-in. I was hooked after the second or third cylinder.

Of the options you've listed, I think you're on the right track with a slightly larger frame being a more enjoyable experience starting out. The Match Champion or the S&W 686 are really solid choices on this front, as they'll both gobble up 357 loads with gusto, and make shooting 38 Specials seem like it's a squirt gun. I'm definitely a S&W fan, but really did like my Match Champion back in the day, and it's pretty rare to ever hear of a GP100 that's been worn out. I still admire Ruger's modular design approach. With just a bit of practice, you can have a GP100 (or SP101) stripped down the the bare frame in a handful of minutes.

Feel free to PM me if you want to speak directly, I'm happy to listen to any of your questions and FWIW, share my personal wheel gun journey with you. I had some help enabling this part of my passion back in the day, and am glad to pass on anything I've learned to you as well!

Edit: I missed the part about you wanting to be able to CC. IMHO, one of my current favorites is the S&W 66-8 2.75". It's a K-Frame, and like so many others have noted, it fits me better than larger or smaller-framed S&W models. I carried a S&W 640 for 2+ years, and if you're comfortable shooting that size, it carries REALLY nicely.

Because revolver threads demand pics, here's a quick image of my 66-8 snub:

F852Rwq.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I would concur with Route 45 and Old Dog, the SP 101 is a nice piece; even though I have not shot it. The GP100 MC is a beauty and very easy with recoil but I could not imagine it as a carry piece for any length of time; the SP 101 is lighter so it may just do the trick - but as you state, rent it first and think about having it stuck in your belt for any length of time.

Personally I have the GP100MC, an older S&W mod 19-6 and the LCR357. Out of the 3, the only one would consider as a carry is the LCR. The recoil is manageable with 38's in it and it is lightweight.

My vote would be the SP101 or the KLCR, especially if you carry.
    Good luck!

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The SP101 was actually one of the 4” barrels that I looked at, as the smaller ones in stock all have the channel rear sight and the 4” had a real rear sight. The channel sight isn’t an ideal option for me, much harder to keep things in focus on them for me. There is a Talo model with the 2 1/4” barrel and Novak sights though that would be more ideal.

I liked the 686 and it’s part of what sparked the idea that maybe I should look at larger options for the first one. The 66, on paper, looked like a nice Goldilocks option but finding one to try hasn’t been the easiest thing so far.

Edit: Concealablity is a want, not a need. The reality is that I don’t carry often and I won’t buy something based solely on that criteria. I’d rather choose something that will be enjoyable in he long term to learn and enjoy, than buy something for limited times it would be carried. If buying larger now is the smarter choice, than that’s a better route.

Last edited:

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Edit: Concealablity is a want, not a need. The reality is that I don’t carry often and I won’t buy something based solely on that criteria. I’d rather choose something that will be enjoyable in he long term to learn and enjoy, than buy something for limited times it would be carried. If buying larger now is the smarter choice, than that’s a better route.

Then, IMO, the Ruger GP100 MC is an excellent selection. As stated, will handle 357's with ease and 38's will make you chuckle at how easy it is. It's a beautiful cannon that will not bite.....

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I've been packing wheelguns for over forty years, from a Model 40 .38 as my BUG to a Model 29 .44 Mag that I carry in bear country.

Stay away from airweights in .357. I have a Model 19 with 2.5 in barrel made of all steel that has a savage recoil. Anything lighter will be murder.

Look around somewhere like Gunbroker in the used market. Law enforcement agencies over the years have sold a LOT of six guns and all of the tried and true models are out there.

Avoid like the plague Smiths with the "Hillary Hole" key lock. They're known to seize under recoil and lock up the gun.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Ruger is a great value versus quality ratio. If budget matters - start there.

SW 686 might be the best 357 magnum platform every made in the history of firearms (maybe a slight exaggeration). Just bought one this week actually...

If you have to have just one - start with a SW K frame - especially for CC - Hopper gave you an excellent option!

A Model 66 is a great choice. One my favorite firearms is a 1960's era Model 19 with a 4" barrel.

You didn't mention budget - SW Performance Center has some spectacular out of the box actions, including the new Model 19 Carry Comp...
    12039_01_lg.jpg

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Look also at SW 60. Not a J frame. Still able to shoot 357 magnum, and the recoil isn't horrible. Akin to a Glock 27 in .40

Personally I like SW revolvers over Ruger. But ruger makes fine rifles.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    mcapo - The budget is fluid at the moment. I don’t exactly have a hard limit, as long as it is within reason. That said, more affordable isn’t necessarily a bad thing. :D The 60 Pro has caught my attention as well.

Liberty Sanders - doesn’t avoiding the lock pretty much eliminate majority of the S&Ws since like ‘95? I’ll spend some time researching problems with the lock though.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    mcapo - The budget is fluid at the moment. I don’t exactly have a hard limit, as long as it is within reason. That said, more affordable isn’t necessarily a bad thing. :D The 60 Pro has caught my attention as well.

Liberty Sanders - doesn’t avoiding the lock pretty much eliminate majority of the S&Ws since like ‘95? I’ll spend some time researching problems with the lock though.

The world is full of classic Smiths. I have a safe full and nary a Hillary Hole among them.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    The Model 60 is nice. I have a Model 60 (pre lock) that is great with 38's. Superb carry piece. Personally, J-frames aren't alot of fun with 357 mag but I tend to like to shoot boxes at a time...recoil isn't "bad" but you know it's a magnum.

Let me just say the I prefer pre-lock SW revolvers....own several and on the hunt for a few more.

I also own several "lock" models and have found them utterly reliable including one particular 44 mag that sees a steady diet of mid to full loads. I've never had a lock engage. Never seen one engage - outside of the internet. They can be easily removed.

If you want to shoot it alot - don't be afraid of the lock. If you want collectability, then go pre-lock. Of course, pre-locks are used so who knows what the history of the gun is or what has been attempted on the internals.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Avoid like the plague Smiths with the "Hillary Hole" key lock. They're known to seize under recoil and lock up the gun.

I've heard of one or two anecdotal instances of this happening, but nothing to indicate it being a wide-spread or common problem. I just bought a 686-6 this week with the lock so if you have additional sources on this I'd be interested in seeing them.

I've heard the locks can be removed, wondering if there's enough true risk of recoil locking it up to make it worth the effort to remove.

Ruger is a great value versus quality ratio. If budget matters - start there.

SW 686 might be the best 357 magnum platform every made in the history of firearms (maybe a slight exaggeration). Just bought one this week actually...

If you have to have just one - start with a SW K frame - especially for CC - Hopper gave you an excellent option!

A Model 66 is a great choice. One my favorite firearms is a 1960's era Model 19 with a 4" barrel.

You didn't mention budget - SW Performance Center has some spectacular out of the box actions, including the new Model 19 Carry Comp...
    12039_01_lg.jpg

Me too!

acFnw0A.jpg

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Outaide of the political distaste for it, how widespread is the issue of the lock causing problems?

I've read sufficient accounts that I will never trust them for a defense gun, and in my case a Smith that I can't carry does not interest me.

For those who want one for purely recreational purposes I'm sure it is of considerably less concern.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    One of the nice things about revolvers is there's a *ton* of grip/stock options out there. Everything from splinter grips to sticky rubberized grips to custom carved works of art. Since you don't need to fit a magazine in the middle of your fist, you have a lot more options.

I'm move of a Ruger guy, and the popular options there are:

GP100. The Match Champion is a nice gun out of the box. Good sights, decent trigger, and great durability. The factory grip is ginormous, good if you have large hands but not great if you want to conceal and/or can't palm a bowling ball. I put compact grips on mine and it's very easy to carry.
    SP101. Sort of the opposite problem. Trigger reach is on the short side, so if you do have bigger hands it can feel cramped and make the trigger feel heavier than it is. Personally, I've no use for the SP101. It's big and heavy enough that if I can carry it, I can carry a GP100.
    LCR: Not on your list, but an easy to carry gun with a very nice trigger and that's comfortable to shoot (subjectively of course) with up to 125 gr .357 mags. Full house 158 gr are not fun.

I don't really know much about the Kimber K6S.

S&W, your options are broadly divided up into frame sizes. J, K, L, and N frame all have .357 mag offerings (listed smallest to largest). N-frames will withstand a *lot* of full house magnums. I've been kicking around picking up a 6" Model 28 for awhile now because reasons. Depending on how much you shoot, and how hot a load you shoot, you may want to avoid J and K frames. I'd think of them as .38s you can run some .357s through, but for a dedicated magnum gun I'd go with the GP100 or L/N frame S&W.

If you want to cheap it out, Taurus makes a reasonable quality revolver that mimics the S&W. Again, though, if you intend to shoot a lot of full house loads I don't know I'd go that direction.

I'm also with Liberty on avoiding the lock equipped S&W. It's rare, but they do lock up under recoil. Plus, for me, it ruins the aesthetics and any pride of ownership I would have because of the origins of the lock. Just a reminder of a dark time for gun owners.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Ruger is a great value versus quality ratio.

That made me chuckle. Value versus quality ratio? I personally prefer Ruger over S&W -

I believe in recent years that may have changed; mass production in both camps have caused some issues. That said, Ruger's customer service cannot be beat.

Top Bottom