• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • websbydoc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2018
    Scottsburg
    Im looking to sell a handgun to a private individual after i do a little background check on them.
    my question however is my personal information is all over this weapon from where it was run
    through my ffl......when i sell it, i dont want my info anywhere in the record book. How do i
    remove my information in case this gun is used illegally.

Thanks

Jay

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Im looking to sell a handgun to a private individual after i do a little background check on them.
    my question however is my personal information is all over this weapon from where it was run
    through my ffl......when i sell it, i dont want my info anywhere in the record book. How do i

Thanks

Jay

You can't.

I wouldn't worry about it. Your previous ownership has nothing to do with the crime, as long as you sold it to someone who you reasonably believed was a proper person.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    It's not like a gun store can erase their books.

You bought the gun, so IF it was stolen and recovered in a crime, if they choose, they can trace the gun back to where it was first purchased, which would be you (only IF you bought it new, or by sheer luck). If the gun was tracked back to you and you're asked about it you can say you sold it. Bill of sales come in handy but aren't required

You bought a gun from a store, no taking that action back now.

It's an acquisition dispotion book, not a registration book. They released the gun to a proper person, what you do with it is pretty much your responsibility

Ps- if you scratched your name and SSN into the gun.....might as well keep it cause you messed up

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area

Thanks

Jay

Have them sign a bill of sale that includes the serial #. Ass covered.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you are that concerned, I would sell the gun to an FFL. They will take ownership and give you a gun store receipt. That should absolve you of any issues.

That said, many many folks handle personal sales with no regard to past ownership what so ever. Our classifieds section is full of them.

Personally, I wouldn't readily sign a private sale bill of sale unless it was something very unique and difficult to obtain otherwise.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Don't sell guns to criminals or people you think might be criminals. If you're worried the gun might be used in a crime then put it back in the safe...or as bwframe said take it to an FFL and have them do the NICS check and transfer. If they cant pass that you shouldn't be considering selling it to them in the first place. Be a responsible gun owner, not a horrible example for people to learn from.

Of course you could just grind off the serial numbers and be caught in an even worse criminal web when said criminal rats you out as the guy who sold him the illegal gun. :rolleyes:

Nice first post...welcome to INGO I suppose.

IANAL, maybe you should talk to one of those

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Also, asking to see an IN Drivers License and License to Carry Handgun card goes a long way to showing someone is a proper person.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Jay,

If you have the slightest doubt in the person sell it elsewhere.
    There are several good posts in the thread. Follow the advice. We all sell/trade/buy privately. I have had 1 issue out of hundreds and that was with my brother so go figure.
    Once you fill out the 4473 that is forever. If you get a solid Bill of Sale you will be covered.

Welcome to Ingo.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    imagegif

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Everyone has essentially the same advice for a reason, we've all bought and sold enough and the conclusion is,

know who you are selling to, D.L. and ltch goes a long way
    If you have doubts either don't sell or use an ffl to transfer.
    bill of sale's cover your butt.
    Your name is forever on the 4473 but there is no registry unless you have a nfa item or live in a commie state.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...How do i
    remove my information in case this gun is used illegally...

You don't.

I mean, I suppose you could hack the gun store and ATF computers (just in case) and then burn down the store and all its records, but I am going to break my rule about giving legal advice without $ and say:

DON'T.

You info is supposed to stick around for a reason....just such the reason you identified.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I used to worry about that, but between private sales after losing interest in a firearm and periodic boating accidents, I figure I'm only in possession of 1 firearm that I filled out a 4473 on.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

Get it notarized.
    That is really the only way the bill of sale means much. I have a whole pile of bills of sale for all the guns I have owned. All of them are signed by Spear Dane and JettaKnight. If you dispute it, then it is just your word against mine, same way if I didn't have a bill of sale.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That is really the only way the bill of sale means much. I have a whole pile of bills of sale for all the guns I have owned. All of them are signed by Spear Dane and JettaKnight. If you dispute it, then it is just your word against mine, same way if I didn't have a bill of sale.

Yup. I kind of view BoS & receipts like Dumbo's feather.

So, OP, don't worry about a crime being committed with a gun you previously owned, just make sure you have an alibi at all times. ;)

Top Bottom