• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hi all - can anyone give me a brief list of options (companies) that produce CCO sized 1911s. For me this means an officers frame with a commander (4.25" or even 4.00") slide.
    Does anyone make them in stainless w/ an alloy frame?

edit to add: this is a future purchase (in about a yr), budget is approx. $1200-$1500, and I had mistakenly thought that the CCO concept was just a Dan Wesson thing.. I now realize that it's more widespread than that, thus looking at the different options now :)
    ... and we'll see if any of them could be the Dan Wesson for quality/price

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    What is your price range? Used/New?

Les Baer
    Wilson Combat
    Kimber
    STI
    Sig
    Colt
    or just start and end with a Dan Wesson CCO? :)

Thanks - I love my current DW and I think he wants a brother :)
    This will be over a year away, but the Dan Wesson CCO is what got me looking at this size. I thought that DW was unique in making these, but then found out that other companies produce this size as well. Budget will hopefully be in the $1200-$1500 range

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    TT - at the risk of being 1911-shamed, the newish Ruger SR1911 Officer has been a gem for me. So much so that it's become my EDC. It's under your budget, and is currently available in 9mm (but not 45 if this is a requirement). I have around or just north of 250 rounds through mine, and haven't experienced a single mishap.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    TT - at the risk of being 1911-shamed, the newish Ruger SR1911 Officer has been a gem for me. So much so that it's become my EDC. It's under your budget, and is currently available in 9mm (but not 45 if this is a requirement). I have around or just north of 250 rounds through mine, and haven't experienced a single mishap.

this is good to hear. My brother has a full size Ruger 1911 (SR1911) and it has been flawless to about 900 rounds. -- I know they have some MIM parts and are new on the 1911 scene, but they seem decent. I would consider the offerings from Ruger, Springfield, and Kimber if I was looking to stay under $1k. Although, I'm not looking for a typical officer size, rather the combo of an officer frame with a commander slide (4.25") preferably.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Although, I'm not looking for a typical officer size, rather the combo of an officer frame with a commander slide (4.25") preferably.
    RIght-o, and sorry that I kind of missed this part. It rules out the Ruger Officer, as it has a 3.8" slide. I also have the SR1911 Commander in 9mm with the traditional 4.25" slide, and it has been completely reliable. But the Ruger Commander doesn't have the officer-sized grip. I did see where someone took the slide off their 9mm commander and it worked just fine on the officer frame. I haven't tried it though, as I'm really happy with the way both are configured out of the gate. Good luck in your hunt!

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Let me just drop this here for conversation sake. :):

6179e5265281506db253902196f72477.jpg

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I was looking hard at a Colt, but a DW is only $85 more. (Colt O9840WC vs. DW 1962, source: Bud’s Guns)

Can someone explain what characteristics make the DW head and shoulders above the Colt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was looking hard at a Colt, but a DW is only $85 more. (Colt O9840WC vs. DW 1962, source: Bud’s Guns)

Can someone explain what characteristics make the DW head and shoulders above the Colt?

At the risk of getting flamed the Colt will not hold a candle to the DW. JMHO.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

The characteristics might not be that different but the execution is. Fitment, blending, finishing is just better in the Dan Wesson.

I have a couple of SWs that are superb shooters (EE!!!) but take them or a Colt apart and compare it to a DW and the difference is notable. Even the Performance Center Smith’s which are priced close to DW just are not quite to that level of refinement.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The characteristics might not be that different but the execution is. Fitment, blending, finishing is just better in the Dan Wesson.

I have a couple of SWs that are superb shooters (EE!!!) but take them or a Colt apart and compare it to a DW and the difference is notable. Even the Performance Center Smith’s which are priced close to DW just are not quite to that level of refinement.

:):..........:stickpoke:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I won't badmouth the Colt.
    BUT, Dan Wesson uses all premium parts (often from Baer, Brown, Wilson, EGW, etc), no MIM, fitted by hand (not built from the ground-up by hand, but "semi-custom" approach) and this leads to a very reliable, tough gun. And all this for a decent price - relatively speaking. As opposed to a production-line gun that barely gets minimal hands on, the DW seems to strike the balance between enough custom fitting and still being somewhat affordable. I didn't know a thing about DW 2 years ago, but after scratching the surface, they are one of the most respected and reliable out-of-the-box, semi-custom 1911s in the $1000-$1600 range. Also, I think they only make series 70 guns, none of that series 80 FPB :)

I like Springfields, Rugers, and Colts... but you'd have to fit them with $400-$800 in parts (and labor) to get what you start with on a DW.
    I'm glad to be proven wrong or get more info. Again, I'm not bad-mouthing the others, but for around $1500 it is hard to get higher quality than a DW.

P.S. I know that MIM parts can be durable, but with all else being equal I'll take a machined part. I hope this doesn't turn into a MIM vs other methods discussion.

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The DW CCO is very nice and carries extremely well. I carried mine in a Galco Combat Master leather holster and it carried as well or better then most other guns I've carried. I've gotten away from carrying it and carry a CZ P10c instead, but if you want to carry a 1911 the CCO is a good one for sure :yesway:

Top Bottom