Recommendations on a .22 LR non-revolver pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimmothy86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    looking at a Ruger SR22, Beretta NEOS, and Walther P22, was wondering others opinions of them or if there are other suggestions to add to the list!?

Thanks in advance!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    For a full size it's either a Ruger Mk IV or Browning Buckmark. Beretta Neos is nice but cheaper and less aftermarket parts.

Instead of the P22 or SR22 I would recommend the S&W M&P22 Compact. Excellent performance, decent price and feels like a Shield in the hand.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I just picked up an M&P Compact 22 from Brownells earlier this month. Got it for a great price as it was on sale and I applied some of their coupons that were active at the time. I did have to back order it for a bit to get that price.

I've had it out to the range one time so far, and I really like it.

It will likely take the place of my Advantage Arms kit that I was running on my Glock frame for 22 LR.

It kind of depends on your intentions with the gun. Training with a similar gun to your EDC? Or plinking, or target shooting and wanting to put a red dot or some other optic on it, etc. Answers to those questions would change the answers potentially.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Got to agree. Ruger Mark IV of some sort. I have the mark iv 22/45 lite and absolutely love it. And ease to clean compared to the earlier models makes it that more of a given.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Ruger mark > browning buckmark > m&p compact = ruger sr22

P22 is junk
    I must agree with this P22 assessment. I had one with the nickel slide several years ago. Neat looking little gun, but not very accurate. I didn't have nearly the success or fun with it that I've had with the SR22. Mine is the TB version and has been nothing short of reliable, very accurate, and a lot of fun. I've fondled the M&P 22 Compact, but the hinged trigger doesn't feel quite right to me, nor did it break as nicely as my SR22. But the price point on either the M&P 22 Compact or the SR22 is really nice right now.

I'm kind of watching for Ruger to release a Mark IV Lite with the stainless/brushed aluminum top. I'm still kind of kicking myself for letting an OD Green Mark IV Lite slip through my fingers last Fall, I liked that color combination a LOT, and haven't seen one in person since.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    S&W 41 if you have the budget for it. Any of the Ruger MK's or a Browning Buckmark. I have MKII and MKIII models. Haven't picked up a MKIV yet.

You'll love the 1 button takedown if you pick up a Mark IV. Thats one of the biggest things that sold me on it, especially after having Mark III

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Got to agree. Ruger Mark IV of some sort. I have the mark iv 22/45 lite and absolutely love it. And ease to clean compared to the earlier models makes it that more of a given.
    Everyone has their favorites but I have too agree with the Ruger Mark lV 22/45 Lite, it's one fine pistol.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My preference is the Ruger MkIII 22/45 Lite. I have a MkIV Target and the take down is much easier but the safety digs into my hand and after 100rds or so it become quite unpleasant. If my wife didn’t enjoy the MkIV so much I would look to swap t for a MkIII Target.

There was a SW Victory in the house and it was highly enjoyed. Reliable, easy takedown but it was nose heavy.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Ruger Mark IV any variant that you feel comfortable with and the same goes for the Browning Buckmark variants. It virtually doesn’t get much better than these two possibilities. IMHO.

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    S&W 41 if you have the budget for it. Any of the Ruger MK's or a Browning Buckmark. I have MKII and MKIII models. Haven't picked up a MKIV yet.

Ditto on the Mark Series. I'm old school. Mark I (1968 SN) for me. Little picky on ammo, but you feed it good high velocity stuff it likes, and its accurate and has no feed issues...

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    I have a 22/45 lite that is a great pistol even better in a MkIV but I use a M&P 22 Compact for training because it's a great pistol and mimics most striker fired pistols where the controls are concerned. Parabellum has a fleet of them they use in their classes and have ran them hard for over a year without issues. If you are looking more for a target type pistol the 22/45 Lite would be my choice but if you are using it for training and just general practice I would go with the Smith 22 compact. Also the M&P is as forgiving where ammo is concerned as any 22 I've ever owned.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Top Bottom