• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Just traded for a new Ruger American 45 acp. Gun is heavy and big, but fits my hand perfectly. I took it to the range and it shot very well. It is my first 45 in
    about twenty years, I really like the 45 acp, just drifted away from it. It has no external safety, and a take down lever to remove the slide for cleaning. It came
    with a 7 round and 10 round extended magazine. The three dot sights are big and easy to get on target. It has a Medium and large grip inserts and a rail for
    attachments. I think it is a great gun for the money.
    Ruger 45.1.JPG
    Ruger 45.2.JPG
    Ruger 45.6.JPG

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Nice, congrats!!
    I liked ruger SR9 series (and similar), and always thought the American line looked bulky - I bet it'll be a solid gun and serve you well. It must be pretty thin if the extended mag is 10 rds, right?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sounds perfect! Enjoy!
    I love it when I discover an "older" gun that isn't on the "popular" list but is made like a tank and provides much pleasure. :thumbsup:

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Yes bulky is a very appropriate description of this gun. I really wanted the Ruger SR45 but can never find one when I am ready to trade. This gun is seriously bulky, but like I said it fit my hand great and is a good shooter. I doubt I will carry it, but as a nightstand gun it should serve me well. I really like the 45acp, can't remember why I drifted away from it, but I am back now.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yes bulky is a very appropriate description of this gun. I really wanted the Ruger SR45 but can never find one when I am ready to trade. This gun is seriously bulky, but like I said it fit my hand great and is a good shooter. I doubt I will carry it, but as a nightstand gun it should serve me well. I really like the 45acp, can't remember why I drifted away from it, but I am back now.

1. I like "bricks," and my Ruger P89SD is one: love it! :rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    The Boss got her one in 9, she loves that gun! Yeah, its big and bulky but it seems to really tame the recoil. She uses the small grip insert, I've tried it with the med and large ones. Put a light on the rail and now it sits in her nightstand.

Aschacht

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Don't know much about hand guns so I thought I would ask. You said it doesn't have any external safety? So does that mean there is another way to put safety on?

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Don't know much about hand guns so I thought I would ask. You said it doesn't have any external safety? So does that mean there is another way to put safety on?

Many striker fired pistols either only come with no manual safety (such as Glock) or have variants that do (M&P for example has variants that do have an external/manual safety and those that don't). If a pistol doesn't have an external, manual safety then there is no way to enable the safety.

That doesn't mean that the gun doesn't have internal safety mechanisms to keep it from firing on a drop, and only when the trigger is pulled, etc, only that there is no manual safety that can be enabled by the shooter. Here's some illustrations, explanation from a Glock pistol point of view: https://us.glock.com/technology/safe-action

You might want to take a beginner's course then a gun handling course. Some examples here: INTRO TO FIREARMS | Parabellum Firearms & Indoor Range & here: GUN HANDLING 101 | Parabellum Firearms & Indoor Range

Last edited:

mistersmith

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    NWI
    I have the 45 acp Ruger American that is one of my favorites to shoot. My gun is at Ruger right now because the recoil spring came off of the guide rod. Jammed the gun up tight. Once I got it un jammed I sent it to Ruger for them to look at, Hopefully I will get it back soon.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Sorry about your gun malfunctioning, hopefully you will get it back fast and it will be fixed. I hate when anything new needs to be sent back to the factory, really should of been done right the first time.

Sdleach08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2018
    Greenwood
    How is the recoil? The design was somehow designed for low recoil. I have the compact in 9mm and it does feel good in my hand, but it is heavy.

Top Bottom