• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    whats the collective opinions/suggestions on a 22LR revolver, preferably 10 rd...
    smith & wesson, ruger ?

i'd like to be able to mount a dot on it as well...
    TIA

:cheers:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    617 10 shot is drilled and tapped for scope base from factory.
    617 is usually a little more expensive than a Ruger but is worth more when you sell it. If you can swing the 617 that is the way to go IMO.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    I really enjoyed the S&W 617 I rented. I’ve heard good things about the GP100 22LR as well. No idea on the red dot on either though.

those are actually the 2 ive kinda settled on...
    i found a used ruger that already has a rail on it.... just havent talked myself into it yet.....

:dunno:

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    617 10 shot is drilled and tapped for scope base from factory.
    617 is usually a little more expensive than a Ruger but is worth more when you sell it. If you can swing the 617 that is the way to go IMO.

i'm not concerned with resale value, the gun will be around long after i'm gone.
    thanks for your input :yesway:

i still shoot a 1911 in USPSA matches that was built in the late 80's/early 90's, i bought it used in '96

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Another vote for the S&W 617. I have a 6" 617 with a dot on it. I shoot it sometimes in Steel Challenge matches. It is also good practice for my other S&W center-fire revolvers. Nothing wrong with the Ruger, I just have a lot more S&W revolvers.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Out of curiosity, how are the Dan Wesson 22s? I’ve come across them while researching the DW I picked up and they seem to be a bit of a rare bird. Not a lot of people talking about them.

I’ve found they tend to run on the expensive side of thing when you find them, but are they worth paying more than what a 617 costs?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I am a S&W fan big time so that would be my choice. However, both the S&W and the Ruger are very well made revolvers and either would serve you well. Neither one are difficult to mount optics on.

Another model to consider is the Ruger SP-101. This is an 8 shot smaller frame but can be had with a 4" barrel.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'd love to have either the S&W or the Ruger but I sure do have a lot of fun with my old beat up 1978 Uberti Cattleman single action.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have the GP100 Ruger SS, and I have shot the 617 Smith at the range: didn't feel anything different, but I probably am not sophisticated enough to appreciate all the trigger nuances that the more experienced can.
    It's big, it's heavy, and I do love it!

I also have the big Taurus .22 (only in a 4") but I've not taken the time yet to compare them at the range, b/c since I'm in trim mode, I might be capable of selling whatever one doesn't "feel" the best, which I assume will be the Smith.
    For me to even talk of selling a .22 revolver is historical. :laugh: Oh, how I've matured in the past year! :rofl:Can't you just tell!!! :lmfao:

Last edited:

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i appreciate the feedback guys :yesway:

yesterday i found a used ruger GP100, as well as a used SP101 both in 22LR.
    went back today and both are gone :(

guess it wasnt meant to be...:dunno:

no way i'm paying full price for a new one....:spend:

maybe i'll just go back to an autoloader, i do like the feel of the ruger 22-45...

decisions, decisions..... down the rabbit hole i go again......:ugh:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Another model to consider is the Ruger SP-101. This is an 8 shot smaller frame but can be had with a 4" barrel.

My recommendation exactly...the 4" SP101 in .22lr is a dream-to-shoot little revolver! I have an older, 6-shot version whereas a buddy has the newer model.

Both are accurate little tack-drivers...lighter weight than the GP100 and the S&W 617...I have smaller hands and the SP101, with a Hogue Rubber Grip, just 'fits' better...IMO!

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i had one of these colt 22's, fitted with a dot, many years ago. it was a sweet little inexpensive ($225) gun when it was new. ive seen a couple at gun shows for $600+ :rolleyes:wish it was still around....:-(

with the price of new 22LR wheelguns, i'm probably gonna end up with a semi auto. probably a ruger 22/45 tactical. im finding out there's quite a bit of aftermarket "support". ive spent the "rainy day" researching and "shopping"
    the gun will primarily be used for steel plate shooting.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    FWIW, I had a S&W Model 63 8-shot 22LR J-frame. It was a real pleasure to shoot... no recoil, plenty accurate, easy to handle. Never ever had a problem with it, and had upgraded the internals a bit with an Apex spring kit (made a HUGE difference in DA smoothness). But holy goodness was it a PITA to clean. It's fine if you're ok with it being "clean enough to function", but I don't ever know for sure when I'll shoot a particular piece again, so I'm pretty meticulous about the cleaning part. For that little wheel gun, I normally spent more time cleaning it than I did shooting it. I think a 617 would have made the cleaning effort more worth it, but I got to the point of rarely shooting the J-frame because I knew it was going take so long to shine it back up.

All this to say that crewchief, you're leaning the way I'll end up going. I've been watching for a Mark IV 22/45 Lite in the right color (really like that OD Green but they don't pop up very often), upgrade to FO sights, and shoot the daylights out of it.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i'm really trying to "justify" (to myself) spending that much money on a 22wheelgun. :nuts: i dont think i'll talk myself into it. :nono:
    even the thought of $400 on a 22/45 kinda makes my ass pucker....

i'm not a collector by any means, my competition guns have had a LOT of rounds put through them, my USPSA open gun has had 10's of 1000's of rounds put though it since it was originally built in the early 90's

a 22LR should be fun to shoot and cheap....

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    i'm really trying to "justify" (to myself) spending that much money on a 22wheelgun. :nuts: i dont think i'll talk myself into it. :nono:
    even the thought of $400 on a 22/45 kinda makes my ass pucker....
    i'm not a collector by any means, my competition guns have had a LOT of rounds put through them, my USPSA open gun has had 10's of 1000's of rounds put though it since it was originally built in the early 90's
    a 22LR should be fun to shoot and cheap...

1. I'm here to tell you they are.
    2. I like them big and heavy, but I have had small and medium size.
    3. Presently have a Shield Compact 22 that I'll probably be selling (like I did my Bersa Thunder today) b/c want heavy. I have a Walther P22QD I'll probably be selling after I play with it for a bit, also: all too light compared to my others.
    4. I love the RIA XT 1911-22, GSG 1911-22, and the Beretta Neos, and and older S/W 22A-1.
    5. I intend to buy a Buck Mark or perhaps more so a Ruger Mark 4 Target (had a Smith Victory early on: sold it).
    6. I have my share of .22LR revolvers I enjoy as well, this evening I even bought a Dan Wesson 6 shot.
    7. I love them and enjoy shooting them!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom