MPrphH9.jpg

Description of which gun went to which target:
    Rock Island Armory 1911-22: upper right corner
    GSG 1911-22 (w/$500 upgrades): upper left corner
    Beretta Neos 6": Middle
    S/W 22A-1: lower right
    S/W M/P Compact: lower left

The longer version below.
    I have been neglecting my .22LR guns b/c of other calibers lately.
    Just yesterday I had a chance to shoot my Beretta Neos against my Bersa Thunder and promptly put the Bersa up for sale b/c I knew I was done with it b/c the Neos was much more fun.
    I tool my other semis with me tonight with some new targets that someone here told me about: I love them = I can actually see where things are going, mostly.
    They cost $.40/ea and I bought a hundred of them and used only 2 in an hour (should have used 3).

I used only Remington Golden Bullets from the big bucket:
    36 grain
    Hollow point
    1280 FPS
    Not a hiccup, except with the RIA (FTL once in two different mags). There were 3 mags and I was warned by the seller that the two mags that said "Kimber" could be an issue (the one that didn't say "Kimber" was not a problem. I believe the Kimber mags were bought separately.
    I'll have to test other ammo to find out if it is the Kimber mags (with any ammo) or I need to use other ammo that isn't a hollow point to see if that solves the problem.
    As long as the "non-Kimber" mag works fine, I'll be OK with that.

I had a target that I used at 30', but I shot between the bullseyes in the white after testing each gun on the bullseyes themselves, which was too busy for public consumption. Should have taken a pic of it before I ran through all the guns in just the white to see better.

Stats on above 20' results:
    Red = All did x7 except the S/W M/P Compact (x4 or x5)
    Red and light grey = RIA x10; Berettta Neos x9 or 10; S/W 22A-1 x10;
    Red and light grey and dark grey = only ones that were that this wild was: GSG and Smith Compact

Smith is the weakest: say goodbye (I'll wait until after surgery to list it in a couple of weeks, hopefully)
    3 tied: RIA, Neos, and Smith 22A-1

These were the winners from 30' away:
    Red = RIA x4; Beretta Neos x4
    Red and light grey = S/W 22A-1 x9; Beretta Neos x8; GSG 1911 x8;
    Red and light grey and dark grey = GSG 1911 x10; RIA x9; Beretta Neos x9; S/W 22A-1 x9

Wild in-the-white shots = S/W M/P Compact x2; RIA x1; Beretta Neos x1; S/W 22A-1 x1
    No wild white shots = GSG 1911

Those are the stats, what does just looking at the targets tell you about which groups were better?
    Well, the S/W Compact is the weakest of the lot: say goodbye.

If I had to sell one now, the one to trim back: the Smith goes goodbye.
    It was the lightest also (negative for my enjoyment).

Which were the brands at the top of both the 20' and 30':
    RIA, Neos, and Smith A-1

The Smith Compact is on the bottom of the list in both 20' and 30'.
    GSG (most expensive and with the upgrades) was above the Smith Compact, but below the other 3.

I am surprised the GSG with all its upgrades didn't easily beat out the other "out-of-the-box" brands.
    Lesson learned. I understand it could be me and my inconsistency.
    After I do this all over again to make sure it's just not me, I will verify the results and if the Smith Compact is on the bottom again:
    it will be sold.
    The next one in line?
    I would be hard pressed to sell the GSG with all those upgrades.
    Perhaps, if I buy a Mark 4 and/or a Buck Mark everything else gets sold.
    And, what about the Beretta Target, or the Browning Target?
    Sounds as if the Smith 41 would make me sell all. It would be fun to put it through this test of mine.
    Another time we'll do this with the revolvers to see who doesn't make the cut.
    Fun, fun, fun!!!

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    First, if you want to see how well you shoot a particular 22lr handgun then make as many things consistent as you can. In short, shoot a more consistent quality load than Remington golden bullets. They're fine though for just horsing around. Second, a ruger mkII, III, or IV would make you want get rid of your current 22 stable. The M&P is a good training tool though if you EDC a striker. I shot my ruger MKII competition target slabside last weekend for the first time in almost probably 10 months. I was hitting 6" steel plate at 50yds with ease standing unsupported

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Once you're back on your feet after surgery, we can meet up down here and go to the outdoor range where you can sit down at a bench and use a rest to better find the inherent accuracy of your pistols.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    First, if you want to see how well you shoot a particular 22lr handgun then make as many things consistent as you can. In short, shoot a more consistent quality load than Remington golden bullets. They're fine though for just horsing around. Second, a ruger mkII, III, or IV would make you want get rid of your current 22 stable. The M&P is a good training tool though if you EDC a striker. I shot my ruger MKII competition target slabside last weekend for the first time in almost probably 10 months. I was hitting 6" steel plate at 50yds with ease standing unsupported

1. I have many different kinds of .22LR ammo. I was just using that b/c my Bersa Thunder 22 that is finicky about ammo, did fine with it, and this was just plinking around, so I will do as you say using a different brand, probably some CCI.
    2. I hear you about the Ruger Mark 4, that and the Browning Buck Mark keep being mentioned, and the Smith 41 as above them both, but noone says anything about the Beretta Target pistol?
    3. I cannot fathom shooting 150', b/c I can't even see the 50' at the range. :ugh: When I look down the barrel of my gun, the front sights and rear sights aren't even in focus for me, so forget about down the range.
    4. It's a good thing I don't take myself seriously b/c showing a target at 20' must be getting alot of laughs!

Once you're back on your feet after surgery, we can meet up down here and go to the outdoor range where you can sit down at a bench and use a rest to better find the inherent accuracy of your pistols.

5. That sounds fantastic, but almost a waste with most of what I have.
    6. I'd like to get a good Buck Mark and/or a Ruger 4 for such a foray. :draw:
    7. I intend to take my walker with a seat on it to the range as soon as I can for my "exercise." :laugh: If they allow.
    I suppose people to the range in a wheelchair, but I don't remember seeing any just to be honest, and a walker would be less cumbersome. :dunno:
    8. I so appreciate your generosity of time and patience and would love to take you up on it.
    9. I know a couple of other people have offered to do the same in the past, I should have wrote their names down. You I remember since you were the first that I ever got with (about .45 acp 1911s).
    10. I didn't mention your name, but you were the one who gave me the tip on the targets: :thumbsup:. I'm paranoid about mentioning a name after some remarks, but since you posted if for me I knew I could give you a "shout-out!"
    11. It could be that the others who mentioned some range time was not the .22LR but another type of gun.
    12. I hope someone reads this that has the Smith 41, but I have read someone posting that their ??? type of gun was must as good (a variation of the Buck Mark or the Mark 4: I'd have to read a couple of threads to find out where it is).

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013

4. It's a good thing I don't take myself seriously b/c showing a target at 20' must be getting alot of laughs!

Not from me. The club/range I belong to has the pistol targets set at 7 yards, so 20' is the distance that I normally see people shoot at.

Thanks for the review! I consider all info as useful, and appreciate anyone that takes the time to post something.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The limited information I’ve seen on the Beretta Target has been ho-hum at best. My memory says it’s an expensive pistol that isn’t noticeably better than the Rugers, but I may be clouding that with other things now. I recall looking at them and at reviews and deciding they weren’t worth the cost relative to other options.

I’ve got a MkIV Target and a MkIII 22/45 Lite w/ a red dot that I’d be willing to let you try as well.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I’ve got a MkIV Target and a MkIII 22/45 Lite w/ a red dot that I’d be willing to let you try as well.

You get the OP to shoot that red dot and it may just change his world.

I don't have one on a pistol, but do have one on my 15-22. That thing will make you think you can really shoot.

My brother had just an optic (low mag scope) about 25 years ago on his Ruger Mk (not sure what gen it was) bull barrel and that was a game changer then.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The limited information I’ve seen on the Beretta Target has been ho-hum at best. My memory says it’s an expensive pistol that isn’t noticeably better than the Rugers, but I may be clouding that with other things now. I recall looking at them and at reviews and deciding they weren’t worth the cost relative to other options.

1. I agree, b/c of the "silence" on the Beretta Target, and the overwhelming support and recommendation for the Ruger Mark 4 and Browning Buck Marks, I think you are right on target (yes, pun intended :laugh:).
    2. I really really appreciate your offer of the Rugers and look forward to doing it perhaps sometime in Julyish.
    I'm going to write it down in my planner so I don't lose track if I am at my leisure pain-free. :dunno:
    3. I have made up my mind to buy both, but I has almost bought the Ruger 22/45 and the Buck Mark llast week but the prices are not lower than where I can buy them new (that I can't mention) or Rural King when a special (like now on the Micro Bull).
    4. I would have owned them earlier but the value used relative to new wasn't there (unless I knew it was a keeper for the long haul, and then I don't care so much).
    5. I would not buy any of the earlier Marks, (had a Mark 1 in another lifetime) b/c of breakdown (I'm lazy when it comes to my hobbies). :ugh:
    6. Someone put a pic on of a long barreled SS one with wood grips (I think) and I can't quit thinking about it. :crying: Wait, I think that was a Smith 41.
    7. Thanks again for the offer! I'm looking at a fairly crappy summer, and my guns are providing me with pleasure.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    4. I would have owned them earlier but the value used relative to new wasn't there (unless I knew it was a keeper for the long haul, and then I don't care so much).
    5. I would not buy any of the earlier Marks, (had a Mark 1 in another lifetime) b/c of breakdown (I'm lazy when it comes to my hobbies). :ugh:
    6. Someone put a pic on of a long barreled SS one with wood grips (I think) and I can't quit thinking about it. :crying: Wait, I think that was a Smith 41.

Similarly I had stayed away from the earlier Ruger Mk pistols due to the fun with takedown, etc. As stated, my brother had one before I moved to Indiana and I understand it was easy enough once you understood how it worked, but remember seeing the rubber mallet come out and thinking not for me. Most of my shooting with a 22 is to mimic what I am carrying, but would be interesting to check out a new Ruger Mark IV with a red dot or an RMR on it and see what it could do.

Just to get you fired up... no red dot on it, but still should get the 22LR stainless with wood grips thing going that you seem to have.

Ruger-MarkIV-Hunter1.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just to get you fired up... and similarly I had stayed away from the earlier Ruger Mk pistols due to the fun with takedown, etc. As stated, my brother had one before I moved to Indiana and I understand it was easy enough once you understood how it worked, but remember seeing the rubber mallet come out and thinking not for me. Most of my shooting with a 22 is to mimic what I am carrying, but would be interesting to check out a new Ruger Mark IV with a red dot on it and see what it could do.

Ruger-MarkIV-Hunter1.jpg

1. Arrrgggggghhhhhhhhh! :crying: I don't have one! :rockwoot:I want one (for $400 not $600+, ha!)
    2. Actually, if it were, "the one," I would pay it (like my Ruger GP100 revolver .22), but I would have to be sure.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    By the way, when I was going over lists of the "best 22Rs" online last evening :coffee:, believe it or not I kept running into the humble Beretta Neos: I was surprised!
    Of course, I saw a list of guns that I'd never heard of before that must have been "the ultimate" 22 target pistols.
    On another list I saw my S/W 22A-1 listed as "a tier above the rest" (my words to sum up the comparative language).

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If memory serves the 22A shares design aspects with the 422/622 series which shares design aspects with the 41. Of course, I can’t find the information discussing them again (I looked into it when I had a 422) so I could be remembering this I correctly. If I am remerbig it correctly, it has good bones to start with.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. I agree, b/c of the "silence" on the Beretta Target, and the overwhelming support and recommendation for the Ruger Mark 4 and Browning Buck Marks, I think you are right on target (yes, pun intended :laugh:).
    2. I really really appreciate your offer of the Rugers and look forward to doing it perhaps sometime in Julyish.
    I'm going to write it down in my planner so I don't lose track if I am at my leisure pain-free. :dunno:
    3. I have made up my mind to buy both, but I has almost bought the Ruger 22/45 and the Buck Mark llast week but the prices are not lower than where I can buy them new (that I can't mention) or Rural King when a special (like now on the Micro Bull).
    7. Thanks again for the offer! I'm looking at a fairly crappy summer, and my guns are providing me with pleasure.

I think you’ll enjoy the MkIII with the red dot. Took a few mags to adjust, but I love it now.

Mines not set up for precision work, but quick target acquisition. The red dot is a bit too big for precision work on this model, but there are other options if I want precision.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Round 2 of range time with the 5 semi-autos.
    Short version:
    Order of the tightest groups=
    1. Beretta Neos
    2. S/W 22A-1 (very close to the Neos)
    3. R.I.A. XT-22
    4. GSG 1911-22
    5. S/W M/P Compact 22

Position of gun to target:
    upper right = R.I.A. XT-22
    upper left = GSG 1911-22
    middle = Beretta Neos 22
    lower right = S/W 22A-1
    lower left = S/W M/P Compact 22

30'
    yt7qq02.jpg

30'
    CFVAnPM.jpg

20'
    yKZmYGg.jpg

The weakest is the Smith Compact.
    Next comes the GSG 1911-22.

At 20' here are the groups according to rounds in the red:
    Neos = 8 + lt. grey = 10

RIA = 6 + lt. grey = 10

S/W A-1 = 6 + lt. grey = 10

Compact = 3 + lt. grey = 7

GSG =2 + lt. grey = 7

At 30' here are the groups according to rounds in the red adding two different targets together:
    Neos = 12 + lt. grey = 17

S/W A-1 = 11 + lt. grey = 19

RIA = 10 + lt. grey = 17

GSG =4 + lt. grey = 15

Compact = 3 + lt. grey = 10

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    From your other ads. I recently picked up a glock 19 22lr conversion slide from tactical solutions (about $350) and I really enjoy it. I don't think they make one for a 26 or 42 but worth checking into. I ran everything suppressed. It ran bulk remington fairly well, gemtech not as well as I hoped, but CCI mini mags great.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    From your other ads. I recently picked up a glock 19 22lr conversion slide from tactical solutions (about $350) and I really enjoy it. I don't think they make one for a 26 or 42 but worth checking into. I ran everything suppressed. It ran bulk remington fairly well, gemtech not as well as I hoped, but CCI mini mags great.

1. Actually, a couple of guys here (one that knows me well and we've been to the range together), recommended a 22LR conversion kit from Advantage Arms for the Glock 26.
    2. I wasn't going to do it b/c I like a dedicated gun but I was curious and love the wide "feel" of my 26, and it was on sale for $219 (retail $284), so I went for it.
    3. I don't like idea of having to take a gun apart and put it back together, but just replacing the entire slide seemed doable enough since I have to learn to do that anyway to clean and lube.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/category/advantage-arms.do

Advantage Arms .22 Long Rifle Conversion Kit for Gen 1-3 GLOCK 26/27 Models 10 Round Magazine Range Bag Matte Black Finish
    0.0No ReviewsWrite the First Review
    Brand: Advantage Arms UPC: 094308000114 MFR #: AACG26-27G3 Item #: 2-AACG26-27G3
    Our Low Price: $283.70

iipsrv.fcgi

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    let me know if you really want to get rid of that M&P, i'm loving mine, was at the range again last night with it!

1. I was going to put in an ad last night after verifying my testing at the range for the 2nd time, but since I have surgery coming up Tuesday, I'd have to take the ad out Monday evening (like I will my Bersa Thunder 22 in now if it doesn't sell: I keep turning down less than my advertised "firm" price, people must think I jest :dunno:). I will just keep it if it isn't worth taking a 20% loss on it, after all, it's a .22LR, my favorite, and I like it just fine.
    2. So, I thought I'd wait until however long it takes me to be back up on my feet (hip replacement), and that can vary: hoping for 2 weeks (secretly 1 week b/c I will embrace my pain :crying:.
    3. The M/P Compact cost new $340 and with tax =$364, so I'll sell it for $300 when I get around to it (20% loss: acceptable for a gun bought new).
    4. I loved the Compact too, and can't believe I'm trimming it, I might regret it since my other .22LRs are all bigger and I might wish I kept a smaller one, especially since I am selling the Bersa 22.
    5. But, since I'm determined to get a Ruger Target or a Buck Mark, I just can't keep amassing more .22s.: it's not prudent :ugh:, and I have a lovely wife I want to stay in the marriage: after 45 yrs. and I am too old and ugly to find another, and I don't have enough money to be some younger woman's sugar daddy! :rofl:

jimmothy86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well maybe by the time you're healed up, I'll have money again (lol, doctors are pricey) and I'll be healed up, bout to have bariatric surgery on the 27th myself! Good luck with your surgery!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well maybe by the time you're healed up, I'll have money again (lol, doctors are pricey) and I'll be healed up, bout to have bariatric surgery on the 27th myself! Good luck with your surgery!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1. Oh my! That makes my surgery look like a piece of cake b/c you have to adjust your basic habits entirely for a lifetime and I will forget about mine after just a little while after the pain is gone (this won't be my first rodeo :dunno:).
    2. I have friends who have had that done, and you really do have to change your habits forever or after the first rush of weight lose, you can lose ground.
    3. Good luck with your life-altering decision: it's a tough one!

Top Bottom