• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    It's taken me almost 4 years to fully endorse and jump both feet into the idea and adjustment of MRDS on handguns. But over the course of time, I've finally been objective and understand fully the benefits it offers...obviously, for me and my purposes. Everyone else's opinions and experiences might be different. I've got a handful of other handguns that don't have them, but am toying with the idea of sending them off to get milled. Most of us that have semi-auto AR style rifles run red dots or some kind of optics, right? To me, it makes complete sense to do the same with my carry/handgun options as well.

Who else has similar opinions? Opposite opinions? I'm always interested in increasing my knowledge base and love to hear other experiences.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Personally, I would need a lot of practice with them because I spend way too long trying to find the dot on a couple that I've looked at in stores. It just isn't as intuitive for me as it is on a shouldered firearm. Then again, I've seen people doing the exact same thing with some of my rifles with electronic optics (looked like they were trying to shoot a plane down before I stopped them and helped them figure out how to use it).

That's my reason at this time. I don't think anything of others who use them successfully.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I put on the Vortex unita on my Ruger MkIII. Not a carry gun, but it seemed like a great trial gun. I love it! It took a couple of mags to adjust completely, but it’s delightful once you’ve made that adjustment.

Solscud007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    Personally, I would need a lot of practice with them because I spend way too long trying to find the dot on a couple that I've looked at in stores. It just isn't as intuitive for me as it is on a shouldered firearm. Then again, I've seen people doing the exact same thing with some of my rifles with electronic optics (looked like they were trying to shoot a plane down before I stopped them and helped them figure out how to use it).

That's my reason at this time. I don't think anything of others who use them successfully.

There is a way to get used to Red dots on handguns. And that is to have cowitnessing irons. I started shooting handguns with red dots by using an M&P CORE with a JPoint red dot. It cowitnessed the factory sights. Rather than hunt for the dot, I bring the pistol up and quickly/roughly align the irons and boom the red dot is there. It is like a cheat sheet. This is also helps you to reacquire the red dot after the recoil/muzzle climb impulse.

Then I switched to a STI Steel Master and did not like the massive height over bore. It has a CMORE sight sitting on top of a frame mount. So the red dot window is really tall and I have no frame of reference. My friend recommended a 90 deg mount. This positions the window directly over the slide. I found this much easier to find the dot with the compromise of the red dot body blocking some of my view. But shooting both eyes open and focusing down range is easier.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    It takes getting used to, for sure. I'm getting better. I use the Trijicon as a big peep. Look through it to find the front sight. This is helping me level the gun quicker which helps me find the dot.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Forgot to say that my Canik doesn't have a rear sight at all when the rds mounting plate is attached.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    When I had a pistol milled for a red dot it quickly revealed to me that I had been presenting the pistol muzzle high without realizing it. The result was that I would not see the dot until the last moment when the pistol was fully extended. I began bringing the pistol up a tad higher than before and leveling the slide sooner so that I could pick up the dot well before full extension. Once I got the hang of it and started to present the pistol like this consistently I found that I was significantly quicker getting the first shot off from the holster. Improvements in accuracy and speed of follow up shots came almost immediately.

The concept absolutely has merit. It isn't necessarily as easily realized as a red dot on a rifle but once it starts working for someone watch out.

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    There is a way to get used to Red dots on handguns. And that is to have cowitnessing irons.
    This. Depending on the gun/sight combo you use; you may find you need/want to use higher suppressor sights even if you don't intend to run a suppressor. And the value of having a good relationship with your 'smith [the best smith you can find being a given] cannot be overstated. If you aren't willing to risk having to shim a cut that's a few thou too deep ask if they'll be willing make and fit some shallower test cuts. Likewise don't start out by having someone with limited experience put your first dot on your favorite gun.

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    I'm in the same boat. I have switched almost entirely to the RDS on my carry setups and nightstand guns.

I did not care for them at all initially. Once I figured out it was a training issue and just how reliable the RMR is I never looked back.

Now I have thousands of rounds through them and I lost count of the amount of classes I have taken using it. Most places like MTac in Munice, IN even have trainers or loaner sim guns you can use in force on force.

There just aren't enough reasons for me not to use them as there are for me to use them. You gain all the same benefits on a pistol as you do with a rifle if you learn to use it properly. Your mileage may vary of course.

If you aren't going to spend time on your draw and presentation this probably isn't for you. With a little practice the dot will always be there when you press out. It takes an investment in time and money though.

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    Just made the jump to an rmr on my duty weapon. For sure takes some practice but 2 months in and I'm loving every minute of it. Alan did the slide work for me and it all turned out great.

Top Bottom