• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I went back packing in the Deam Wilderness this past weekend. As usual, I carried my Shield 9mm in one of the pack side pockets, and the spare mag in the belt pouch. I also had a zip-lock bag with peanut m&ms in the same pouch.

It was wicked-hot Friday and early Saturday, and then the sky opened up late Saturday and we got drenched. I thought I was mostly OK and kept my pistol and cell phone dry during the rain. But, when I got home and was unpacking, I realized that a couple of m&ms got out of the zip lock and melted from the heat and/or rain and had coated my spare magazine with chocolate and bits of colorful candy coating. Good thing I didn't need it, and it reminds me why I never keep anything in the same pocket as my gun.

I guess I'll use the excuse to clean all my mags.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Stuff happens, at least it did not end up in a survival situation where you had to disassemble your mag for bits and pieces to stay alive.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    M&M flavored freedom seeds.... mmmm.

On a better note, how was the Deam? I'm hoping to take the kids there this fall when things cool down a good bit.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I like the test idea. See if the gun/mag works as it is. The same as it would have been in the field, had you needed it.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Take it to the range and shoot it with the dirty mag as a test. See how it does.

Dang, that's a really great idea. But I already scraped off all the gunk. I was immediately sorry that I didn't get a picture first, and I totally didn't think about saving it to do a test.

I could have made an awesome video. It would start with a close-up in slo-mo of me gripping the gun tightly, slamming the mag in, chocolate and candy coating bits flying off in lazy slo-mo fashion. Then it would pan to my face, and with my teeth gritted in a tactical sneer, I would hold my gun in a text-book stance, and seemingly effortlessly pop off all 7 rounds. A separate camera, zoomed in on the gun, shows it functioning flawlessly, spitting out bits of burned powder and chocolate candy as it sends the rounds to the target. A third camera is zoomed in on the target, and you see all 7 rounds punch the paper, in a group the size of a McDonalds hash brown. Then the camera zooms in yet closer, and you see a little piece of green candy coating on the frayed edge of one of the bullet holes right before it goes stylishly out of focus and the Metal music in the background hits a crescendo......

It could've been great. Except I'd have to hire someone who could actually achieve that grouping.

And, in all seriousness, I do wish I'd have seen Tactically Fat's post before I scraped off the chocolate. I wish I would have tested it at the range and been able to report back on that.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Many a year ago back in Cincinnati I had ordered my wife to start carrying owing to a serial of killer of women operating in the area (he was eventually caught). This was years before Ohio had concealed carry reform.

I decided her best choice was my Model 40 Smith hammerless. She put it in her purse where it managed to make the acquaintance of a packet of Taco Bell taco sauce. Took the blue right off of it. I got her a Colt Agent or Cobra (I forget which, I loaned it to my brother decades ago) with some kind of a phosphate finish.

Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

MJohnsonRT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2018
    Clarksville
    BigBoxa I don't know you but I want to thank you... Reading this post reminded me that I had a bag of peanut m&ms in my desk drawer at work... So here I am popping peanut m&ms reading about guns... american dream baby

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom