• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I am as surprised as you.
    I didn't know Dan Wesson even made .22LR revolvers till I read about it here a week or two ago.
    I didn't give it too much thought till a member here talked about picking one up at the Indy 1500 Gun and Knife Show.
    I just happen to stumble on to one on Craigslist (I check here and there at least once daily) and one was for trade/make offer.
    He had acquired 8 guns in a trade/sale and had a couple he didn't want: this was one.
    It was described as having holster wear and some thin bluing from wear.
    Tight cylinder, though.

I thought this might be my chance since I wasn't going to pay for a stainless steel primo one for $1500. :dunno:
    I emailed him telling him I didn't know much about them and since the condition was "worn" (my words not his) I made him an offer.
    I talked to someone today that knows all about guns and processed it with him and he had nothing but good things to say about the Dan Wesson 22LR.

I would tell you what he said it was worth, like my offer, but I got criticized for talking to much about money (which to me is the fun part :rockwoot:), I won't say what the figures were unless you ask.
    (I don't know whether the person being critical is an outlier, or he speaks for the majority, but I'm trying to learn the culture here)

I sent him my email Sunday evening and he never got back with me by noon, so I sent another email telling him I'd talked with someone who knew more about it and I upped my offer.
    He called this evening apologizing b/c he'd been out of town.
    He explained to me how/why he'd acquired this gun and did the math on what he needed to get for it to "break even" on his overall deal.
    He had not even seen my 2nd offer yet, just the original offer, and when he told what he had to have it was nearly identical to what my 2nd offer was.
    I was in.
    I liked the idea of buying a well-used but still lots-of-use left (b/c of quality build): a shooter, not a safe queen. :draw:
    I knew I could sell it for what I paid for it, so I wasn't going to let this opportunity pass.
    Can't wait to see how the famous Wesson trigger is in double and single action (heard it was about 8# double and 4# single), compared to my Ruger GP100 and Taurus 990
    Unfortunately, since I have to be at the hospital tomorrow at 5:30 am for surgery prep, range time will have to wait. :crying:

Don't be afraid to say I paid too much (if anyone asks) or the gun looks like crap: lessons will be learned.
    I do feel more confident about .22LRs than any thing else: in another lifetime I had a bunch of them (back when they were $20-$50 used :ugh: ).

LopekKE.jpg
    Wurqd5Z.jpg

itAGKR4.jpg
    2NGLhoD.jpg

X4owriM.jpg

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    NICE! Any idea when it was made?

I'd love to hear what you paid and what you were told it is worth. PM me if you like.

Best wishes for your surgery.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    NICE! Any idea when it was made?
    I'd love to hear what you paid and what you were told it is worth. PM me if you like.
    Best wishes for your surgery.

1. I love talking about the $$$ aspect of it.
    2. I had originally offered $300 (still feel guilty about it, but I don't like people not putting a price on their gun: like they are fishing, trying to trick you into paying more) :dunno:
    3. I had upped my bid to $400 when I was able to process about it with someone very knowledgeable here on this site.
    4. I ended up paying $435, and had no problem with it, whether I am right or wrong time will tell.
    5. It is what I wanted though: great quality gun not in primo condition, which is reflected in the price and I get to shoot it until I go to the range in Heaven. :laugh:
    6. If it is as reputed: sweet trigger and accurate.
    7. I'll do my test with my famous targets I love (that you gave me the website for :thumbsup:, my friend), and if it doesn't out shoot my Ruger GP100, or Taurus 990, or my older H&R 939 it will be thrown into the trash with the used targets. :rofl:
    8. Ok, that was a little over-the-top, but you get the idea. :laugh:

9. On the date I tried googling it, but got sidetracked: I'll get back on that.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Some hint of the year based on others (my #14824):
    1019x 1979 paperwork in box dezmo
    150xx 1979 Barrel wrapper davenk88
    24716 1979 paperwork in box Jody
    18855 1979 Barrel wrapper GB Auction
    54xx 1979 paperwork in box Kurt D.
    8021 1979 paperwork in box Drumwheel
    15757 1979 paperwork in box Okie1
    25349x 1980 Original Purchaser Slim
    1410x 1984 Original Purchaser jmazeq
    26299 1986 Original Purchaser pecos bill

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I tried to pick that up from him last week! :): Enjoy it! I’m curious what he let It go for. Overall, looks like it’s in good shape and will be a great shooter!

Determining age is kind of a guessing game on these. Can’t just call Dan Wesson like you do S&W. The DW registry has reported serials from ‘79-‘86, without necessarily being in chronological order. DW moves from Monson to Palmer in ‘83. Given you have a Monson frame, best I can narrow it down to ‘79-‘83.

http://www.danwessonforum.com/wp-content/files/DanWessonSerialNumbers.pdf

At the time, he wasn’t willing to sell it out right and I didn’t have a trade he wanted. In a turn of luck, I found a 6” model out in CO. The 6” matches the 357 better for my intended use. It should be here end of the week. I’m curious how the rimfire trigger will compare to the centerfire tigger.

Best wishes in the surgery.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I tried to pick that up from him last week! :): Enjoy it! I’m curious what he let It go for. Overall, looks like it’s in good shape and will be a great shooter!
    Determining age is kind of a guessing game on these. Can’t just call Dan Wesson like you do S&W. The DW registry has reported serials from ‘79-‘86, without necessarily being in chronological order. DW moves from Monson to Palmer in ‘83. Given you have a Monson frame, best I can narrow it down to ‘79-‘83.
    http://www.danwessonforum.com/wp-content/files/DanWessonSerialNumbers.pdf
    At the time, he wasn’t willing to sell it out right and I didn’t have a trade he wanted. In a turn of luck, I found a 6” model out in CO. The 6” matches the 357 better for my intended use. It should be here end of the week. I’m curious how the rimfire trigger will compare to the centerfire tigger.
    Best wishes in the surgery.

1. Unbelievable! Yes, he was looking for a trade, but he must have changed his mind and decided to grab the money and run. :laugh:
    2. Previously, someone asked and I revealed all: $435.
    3. I would love to know what the guy who picked his up at the 1500 paid for his: I'm betting $600.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Show a little love for it. Rub some oil on it, and shine it up a mite ! ;)
    (.... and good luck with your surgery tomorrow)

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. Unbelievable! Yes, he was looking for a trade, but he must have changed his mind and decided to grab the money and run. :laugh:
    2. Previously, someone asked and I revealed all: $435.
    3. I would love to know what the guy who picked his up at the 1500 paid for his: I'm betting $600.

Not a bad price, prices are all over the place for the 22 versions. I’ve seen them from low 400s to 1200, depending on condition and accessories. I paid a bit more for the 6” I ordered. You are spot on for the price I paid for the 6” 357 version.

If you didn’t get the tools, you can get them from EWK. From what I’ve learned, keeping the barrel tight and the right gap between the cylinder and barrel is essential to maintaining the DW’s accuracy.

Dan Wesson Wrenches : EWK Arms

You’ll want the wrench and the 22 pilot.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    As many pistols as you trade for, why not spend the 42 bucks or so for "38th edition Blue Book of Gun Values"? By S.P.Fjestad.
    I bet you'd get a lot of use out of it and enjoy it.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    As many pistols as you trade for, why not spend the 42 bucks or so for "38th edition Blue Book of Gun Values"? By S.P.Fjestad.

1. Maybe for $36.50 so he could get at least 90% of his money back. Little more if it comes with a bookmark or two.:rockwoot:
    2. What other pricing book are available that might fill the need for a lesser price? :D
    3. Any chance we might find a lightly used one?:):
    4. It's not a hardback is it? He is more of Toyota Corolla guy than a Lexus guy.:rolleyes:

Sorry, buddy, just trying to fill in your absence. All in good fun. :ingo:

I do hope that your surgery goes well, the recovery is swift and plenty of range time is in your near future! :draw:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. Maybe for $36.50 so he could get at least 90% of his money back. Little more if it comes with a bookmark or two.:rockwoot:
    2. What other pricing book are available that might fill the need for a lesser price? :D
    4. It's not a hardback is it? He is more of Toyota Corolla guy than a Lexus guy.:rolleyes:

I do hope that your surgery goes well, the recovery is swift and plenty of range time is in your near future! :draw:

nailed it... /thread

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just as some more information for while you recover.

I did some digging through Gunbroker and just this weekend someone paid $556 for one of these with a 357 barrel shroud instead of the 22 shroud, than you did for this one. Looked like the GunBroker one was a stainless frame with a blued shroud. It has less visible wear due to the stainless, but the shroud appears to be in similar shape.

I’d say you did fine. I haven’t figured out how to tell when an item sold, to judge changes in market, but there aren’t many under $500 on the first page of completed GB auctions.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...2. What other pricing book are available that might fill the need for a lesser price?...

I bought the "2017 Standard Catalog of Firearms: The Collector's Price & Reference Guide" and would not recommend it. The pricing seems considerably lower than any "sold for" prices I've found on the firearms I've looked up.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Not a bad price, prices are all over the place for the 22 versions. I’ve seen them from low 400s to 1200, depending on condition and accessories. I paid a bit more for the 6” I ordered. You are spot on for the price I paid for the 6” 357 version.

1. A .357 in a Dan Wesson would be sweet.

If you didn’t get the tools, you can get them from EWK. From what I’ve learned, keeping the barrel tight and the right gap between the cylinder and barrel is essential to maintaining the DW’s accuracy.

2. Thanks for the heads-up! :thumbsup:
    3. That makes since: I saw how you could have/buy different barrel lengths, nice touch.

4. Didn't know that would be applicable since things differ in different parts of the country.
    5. Selling, not an issue: I simply sell under market pricing.
    6. Buying, the same, except that didn't work with a unique older piece like a Dan Wesson .22LR.
    7. I will check into it though.
    8. That's what I did when I started selling off my left over comics that had been sitting in the closet for 25 yrs." Complete series of Star Trek and Star Wars, Magnus: The Robot Fighter, Solar: Man of Atom and etc., to make sure I didn't sell too cheap (which I did anyway b/c I just wanted rid of them).

...searching recent completed gunbroker auctions is free.

9. I need to learn about that: good advice!

10. Loved it! :laugh:

11. Exactly what I was thinking about my post-op recovery time: they want me up on my feet, well, I can do that at the range! :ar15:

nailed it... /thread

12. :wow: = that's how I feel about it, but by now everyone should know I'm highly excitable (I enjoy everything more than most: I'm just so grateful for anything and everything!).

Just as some more information for while you recover.
    I did some digging through Gunbroker and just this weekend someone paid $556 for one of these with a 357 barrel shroud instead of the 22 shroud, than you did for this one. Looked like the GunBroker one was a stainless frame with a blued shroud. It has less visible wear due to the stainless, but the shroud appears to be in similar shape.

13. Lessons to be learned! :coffee:

I’d say you did fine. I haven’t figured out how to tell when an item sold, to judge changes in market, but there aren’t many under $500 on the first page of completed GB auctions.

14. Wherever I went on Gunbroker I saw the same (nothing selling in my famed $300+/- range.

I bought the "2017 Standard Catalog of Firearms: The Collector's Price & Reference Guide" and would not recommend it. The pricing seems considerably lower than any "sold for" prices I've found on the firearms I've looked up.

15. Appreciate you sharing your personal experience! :thumbsup:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. I went to the site. Is miine considered a small frame?

Dan Wesson .22 Caliber Pilot Small Frame Wrench

.22 Caliber pilot, this caliber is used with the small frame wrench.
    $2.00

This is all I need?
    Seems to good to be true?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. WoW! I can't believe that is a small frame: it seems as big (except for barrel length) as my Ruger GP100 and Taurus 990, and they certainly don't feel like small frames.
    2. The 94 Taurus (think that was the number) was smaller, which is why I got a 990 when I could.
    3. Thanks! So much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom