• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tackleberry65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    speedway
    Looking for opinions. I have been saving for a new Razorback but just noticed that Kimber has come out with a long slide 10mm for significantly less money. Anyone have any experience with the Kimber? I have no doubt that the Razorback is a better gun, but is the separation between these two worth $500?

CKW

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Looking for opinions. I have been saving for a new Razorback but just noticed that Kimber has come out with a long slide 10mm for significantly less money. Anyone have any experience with the Kimber? I have no doubt that the Razorback is a better gun, but is the separation between these two worth $500?

DW. Hands down the best choice in this one.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have no direct experience with Kimber other than what I have read on the Internet, which has not always been the most positive as of late.

I own a Dan Wesson Silverback, and it is completely amazing in every way. Highly recommended. 5 stars!!!

tackleberry65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    speedway
    Which mags are you running in your Silverback? What bullet weight and profile has worked out well for you?

I have no direct experience with Kimber other than what I have read on the Internet, which has not always been the most positive as of late.

I own a Dan Wesson Silverback, and it is completely amazing in every way. Highly recommended. 5 stars!!!

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Which mags are you running in your Silverback? What bullet weight and profile has worked out well for you?

The two that came from Dan Wesson, and then 3 Wilson and 4 Chip McCormick. All 9 have functioned flawlessly with ZERO failures or issues. Zero.

I mostly shoot 200 gr. SWC's that I load myself, but I also have some 230 gr. RN FMJ's that I also load. I also ran 1,000 rounds of factory 230 gr. ball ammo through her when I first bought her. Can't remember now what I bought. Maybe it was 500 of Fiocchi and 500 of something else??? Trying to remember what I bought now... (I do remember that half were SPP and half were LPP).

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    Well, this probably won't be a popular comment, but I owned a DW Pointman and it simply wouldn't function. Get it feeding and it woldnt extract, get it extracting and it wouldn't eject.
    I really wanted that pistol to run, but it was the "yugo" of guns.
    Tried every mag, part and'smith under the sun and finally dumped the pos.
    Kimberly? Pay yer money and take yer chances....
    I got a 10mil for pig hunting in FL... it's a Glock and never choked. YMMV

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    Have a glock 40 and it’s my favorite to carry out in the field or on the tractor. Have shot a couple Kimbers and thought they were nice but haven’t tried out a DW.

Well, this probably won't be a popular comment, but I owned a DW Pointman and it simply wouldn't function. Get it feeding and it woldnt extract, get it extracting and it wouldn't eject.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

The older DW's were problematic to my knowledge. The newer offerings (they are now owned by CZ I believe) are just stellar.
    Of course every manf. lets a turd get out on occasion. I have had issues with a couple of my favorite marque SA in the past. Always been an easy fix.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    Yrs, they couldn't, but it was always my fault- wrong ammo, wrong mags, wrong oal, break it in some more...
    Dumped it and got a old colt that did run with all the stuff the Wesson wouldn't...years ago...Ive moved on . Good luck with yours- I'd never go back.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Yrs, they couldn't, but it was always my fault- wrong ammo, wrong mags, wrong oal, break it in some more...
    Dumped it and got a old colt that did run with all the stuff the Wesson wouldn't...years ago...Ive moved on . Good luck with yours- I'd never go back.

Understandable, considering what you went through. I would probably be the same way.

My experience is 180 off from yours however and find my DW to be one of the most reliable guns I have ever owned.

To be honest, I have read more comments like yours when referring to Kimber than to DW.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Did I mention that they are now owned by CZ and the quality/customer service are commensurate to that marque.
    We all have our own opinions based on experiences. No knock just saying the DW's of today are truly well made for the price point.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Understandable, considering what you went through. I would probably be the same way.

My experience is 180 off from yours however and find my DW to be one of the most reliable guns I have ever owned.

To be honest, I have read more comments like yours when referring to Kimber than to DW.

Older Kimbers were pretty decent guns. They were sought after. Todays offerings sure are pretty. I do not want to offend any fans of the brand as this is my personal opinion formed from my direct experiences with the Kimber offerings. I have owned them. Have being the key word.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    IIRC the Pointman 45 I had was a beautiful stainless pistol with a cross embossed on the slide.
    You'd better had a close relationship with Jesus if you got in a gunfight with that widowmaker, cause it was gonna choke and get you kilt!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have both Kimbers (sold one of them) and Dan Wessons. I like my Kimber a lot but having said that, the DWs I have are well above the Kimber in value. I'd gladly pay the $500 difference between the two to get the DW build quality.

Top Bottom