• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    My two cents (probably not worth that) is that these types of holsters have an overly complex draw procedure that, IMHO, would be very difficult to execute in a stressful defensive situation, especially in a body contact situation. YMMV

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    They have 5 different sizes that handle a 1000 guns, which I like that approach so much better than a specific holster for only a few guns.
    One holster will fit not only my main CC, but 3 others that could be in the rotation, depending on whether going with revolver, semi-auto and etc.
    Even on my my larger framed will fit into the one I would get.
    If I wanted to go down as small as the Glock 42 for a CC, or up to a larger CC to a FNS-9, or Ruger P89 would I have to get different holsters.
    Since the 42 is addressed well in my DeSanti Superfly pocket holster I don't need to go down that road, and if I ever got to the point where I felt the need for more than 5 shots (semi-autos hold 8 & 11) I'd simply have to get a bigger holster to house it (15-17 rounds).

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My two cents (probably not worth that) is that these types of holsters have an overly complex draw procedure that, IMHO, would be very difficult to execute in a stressful defensive situation, especially in a body contact situation. YMMV

1. Valid point, and thanks for your observation.
    2. The vid of the "lift flap and draw" looks simple enough, but if a person was already up on you it would be extremely problematic.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For most people, I'd say to avoid it. It's a bad design that's got all the disadvantages of a deep conceal holster without actually being deep conceal, is a lousy fighting holster, and anything that's "universal" means it fits nothing correctly and lots of things so-so.

For someone who's much more interested in flipping carry guns constantly rather than being serious about defensive use, it's perfect.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Can you draw while seated? Can you draw while carrying a small child or shielding a loved one?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    For most people, I'd say to avoid it. It's a bad design that's got all the disadvantages of a deep conceal holster without actually being deep conceal, is a lousy fighting holster, and anything that's "universal" means it fits nothing correctly and lots of things so-so.

For someone who's much more interested in flipping carry guns constantly rather than being serious about defensive use, it's perfect.

I have a question, Mr. BBI. This is not completely thread jacking as it relates to CCW and the potential for an AD with an improper holster.

I have always believed, that as a civilian, you are more likely to shot yourself/have an AD than you are to shoot an assailant. Is there supporting data for my hypothesis? Obviously most ADs are not in the data set. I looked at FBI data a few years and it seemed to hold true but the data was very difficult to parse.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have a question, Mr. BBI. This is not completely thread jacking as it relates to CCW and the potential for an AD with an improper holster.

I have always believed, that as a civilian, you are more likely to shot yourself/have an AD than you are to shoot an assailant. Is there supporting data for my hypothesis? Obviously most ADs are not in the data set. I looked at FBI data a few years and it seemed to hold true but the data was very difficult to parse.

I kept track of unintended discharges that resulted in injury or death for a year and got over 80 confirmed. The good news is *most* were not life threatening (people shoot their off hand and lower legs a lot). There's seldom more than 15 justified homicides and maybe twice that many "good shoots" that aren't fatal county wide each year.

The most common is shooting themselves in the off hand after reversing the clearing process. They are going to break down their striker fired gun so they rack the slide *then* drop the magazine, then pull the trigger to strip the slide off and their off hand is still in front of the muzzle from racking the slide. A combination of complacency and rushing. Also, do the same thing but point it at "the floor" which is actually their foot then pull the trigger.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    "Urban carry" in the search box here turns up a few threads already. Seems the general consensus is no.

1. Sorry: I should have done a search first. :ugh:

2. In other words, the practice does not live up to the claims: lesson learned before with other holsters I've ordered.

3. I have had a revolver for my CC since I began this journey last May 2017. I did "flip" the Charter Arms J frame when I upgraded to the S/W 642 J frame (on advice here) and have not upgraded or "flipped" my main CC since.
    4. With no experience with 9mms I did "flip" by "evolving" from smaller 9mms. till I got the Shield 9, which I still have till I find something better: then it gets "flipped."
    5. I have other 9mms that I have bought and sold for my pleasure (range toys), but other than my Shield 9 and Glock 26, I would not trust anything else yet for CC.
    6. It sounds like my eclectic approach irritates you with my buying, shooting, then moving on to something else
    :scratch:.
    7. I'm not going to change and I'm having more fun than I've had in a long time, and with health issues snipping at my heels for years I'm going to grab my fun while I can, which is mostly range fun at this point since I had to sell my last motorcycle b/c of my arthritis.
    8. I will continue my zealous pursuits till I find the most suitable gun in the different categories that I want.
    9. I have not even gone down the CZ route at all and I read that I'm missing out.
    :coffee:
    10. And no, I'm not "serious," I walked away from CC for 35 yrs., therefore, even more proof of my lack of dedication to my self-preservation.
    11. I live a strange life: most of the people I know think I'm absurd and of low intelligence b/c I have an interest in guns (most don't even know to what extent or my CC b/c I keep my mouth shut), and then there is a gun forum where I get criticized for not being more avid/serious. I can't get a break! :dunno:

No.

12. Thanks for your vote.

You need to get unique holsters for your guns or you will be compromising.
    Can you draw while seated? Can you draw while carrying a small child or shielding a loved one?

13. Since I carry only with a pocket holster or ankle, I thought this might be a step-up, giving me a little more options.
    14. There are reasons I cannot carry an OWB or IWB.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't need to defend BBI but I doubt he was criticizing your flipping guns as a hobby. My guess it is when it comes to the firearm you are going to carry for personal protection of yourself and possibly others that he might have a little concern.

Owning a carry gun for a year and saying that I haven't flipped it but will when something better comes along, to me, isn't a long enough time for a carry gun. I have had two guns I carry for personal protection in my life. And my ratio in years of number 1 to number 2 has been about 30:3. And I kinda wish I didn't make the change 3 years ago.

Sure, I have fun buying and selling firearms, like you but when it comes to my carry piece, I don't change. I practice with it and practice with it so that it is so familiar to me I could work it blindfolded including stripping it down and putting it back together.

Full disclosure: I am thinking of buying a do all pistol that I can carry, take classes and shoot IDPA. Then I would be even that much more familiar with it and would only take 1 gun to the range for practice. Just kinda mulling that idea around in my mind.:)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don't need to defend BBI but I doubt he was criticizing your flipping guns as a hobby. My guess it is when it comes to the firearm you are going to carry for personal protection of yourself and possibly others that he might have a little concern.

1. I doubt that he minds a little push-back from me since I'm an open book and I do listen and learn from others here and invite input.

Owning a carry gun for a year and saying that I haven't flipped it but will when something better comes along, to me, isn't a long enough time for a carry gun. I have had two guns I carry for personal protection in my life. And my ratio in years of number 1 to number 2 has been about 30:3. And I kinda wish I didn't make the change 3 years ago.

2. My personality is such that I rush into whatever I'm doing full-bore and I'm sure that bugs the more serious-minded that proceed more cautiously. In my case, I feel my age and the clock ticking, but I've always been like that anyway. :laugh:
    3. I am not looking to flip my main CC gun (revolver), but I am experimenting with a possible semi-auto as an alternative/back-up (though I have trust issues based on my experience), and that is what galls some, I'm sure: my willy-nilly approach.
    4. I've tried to follow advice, even bought certain guns b/c they were recommended to me, but they didn't "suit" me (but others like the Glock 26 and 42 were awesome, as well as the Shield 9mm).

Sure, I have fun buying and selling firearms, like you but when it comes to my carry piece, I don't change. I practice with it and practice with it so that it is so familiar to me I could work it blindfolded including stripping it down and putting it back together.

5. That is why I have always used a revolver, like when I had a .38 special CC back in my early 30s, so it would be "familiar" for emergency use.

Full disclosure: I am thinking of buying a do all pistol that I can carry, take classes and shoot IDPA. Then I would be even that much more familiar with it and would only take 1 gun to the range for practice. Just kinda mulling that idea around in my mind.:)

6. I get that! Good luck in your search! :thumbsup:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    There’s an ancient Chinese proverb that this holster company should use as their slogan: “A fool and his money are soon parted”. The only problem it solves is you can continue flipping guns and still have a “holster”, and it doesn’t really SOLVE that problem anymore than a Walmart sack would. That said, enjoy your new wonderbang fitzall.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

This. With the understanding I didn't read the entire response, I understand people get into guns for different reasons. Some people are serious about defensive use, some pretend to be but are fooling themselves (or spouses) and really just want to play with a bunch of toys, and some are quite honest they just want to play with guns. Somebody out there probably makes little shoe box dioramas and poses their collection. Whatevs.

My advice to someone who's serious would be different than someone who just wants to take a bunch of stuff to the range and make noise. A universal holster of lousy design is fine for the second guy. Why bother investing in quality gear when you're going to constantly flip? Get your Uncle Mike's Universal Sausage Sack and carry on.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you can carry this way, what is keeping you from a good kydex owb? Just wondering

1. I must have deep conceal: no hint that I have a gun on me which eliminates anything but a pocket holster or an ankle holster.
    2. I don't wear shirttail out to cover up a gun on the belt whether it's in or out.
    3. I don't wear jackets inside or sweaters.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    There’s an ancient Chinese proverb that this holster company should use as their slogan: “A fool and his money are soon parted”. The only problem it solves is you can continue flipping guns and still have a “holster”, and it doesn’t really SOLVE that problem anymore than a Walmart sack would. That said, enjoy your new wonderbang fitzall.

1. I don't have one; I was just asking feedback from those that had experience with them. :coffee:
    2. Unlike a gun which I can simply buy it, try it, and sell it w/o loss if I don't like it b/c I can buy/sell below market value. :)

Top Bottom