• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aschacht

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Hello to all the members of INGO. I'm kind of a newbie to the fire arms world. I have started myself out with a walther p22 as my personal carry. Thinking about up grading but don't know what to get. Anyone have any personal inputs. I am open to suggestions.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So, I have never shot the P22, but what do you not like about it? Start with answering that question and we can move on to others.

Edit update: I see after looking it up that it is a 22LR, so obviously caliber change is needed for the EDC). Are you carrying it as your EDC? Sounds like you stated that, but confirming.

Have any ideas on size, concealment needs, etc?

Last edited:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    It would also be beneficial to know what you are thinking of upgrading to? A nicer 22? 9, 40 or 45?

As a new shooter I’d think they’d find it beneficial to go with 9mm. It’s an acceptable self defense caliber but has lighter recoil. That will help keep you from developing bad habits of anticipation. It’s also cheaper to shoot which means it’s more affordable to train a lot.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    As a new shooter I’d think they’d find it beneficial to go with 9mm. It’s an acceptable self defense caliber but has lighter recoil. That will help keep you from developing bad habits of anticipation. It’s also cheaper to shoot which means it’s more affordable to train a lot.

True, but without more information we are guessing.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Welcome! :thumbsup:

I was where you were 14 months ago when I began my journey last May 2017.
    I had a background with some gun familiarity in my 20s and 30s with the smaller calibers: 22LR, .25, .32, and with a few .38 specials.
    Like you, I have a Walther P22Q, but I have several .22LRs but none for self-defense purposes and are strictly range toys.

I recommend a small 5 shot "J" frame .38 special revolver, unless you can carry a 6 shot (bigger frame).
    I use the S/W 642 hammerless .38 special snubbie "J" frame 5 shot.
    That is my primary CC, but I'm old and the most of the younger guys grew up on the 9mm.
    I have a few of them, the S/W M/P Shield 9mm beat out a dozen other 9mm at the range, and I have the Glock 26 9mm, as well.
    I tried out many to get to those and you will have to figure out what fits best for you, as well.

I also have a .380 in the Glock 43 and an old Colt Mustang .380, and I had the S/W M/P Bodyguard .380 that I enjoyed.
    The .380 is a smaller caliber (but better than the .22LR for personal defense), and I only use it for when I need the smallest for concealment.

You will find a wealth of material and advice here on this site, and the guys have been quite helpful and patient with me.
    I have 8 pages of threads here journaling my progress.
    I hope you are smarter than me and can do it in less. :laugh:

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I’m going to start by saying, don’t ever trust what doddg has to say! While I won’t ever put down what another member has to say, he’s Not the one to trust on Carry matters. Decide what you actually want to use as a defense gun (22lr ain’t the best choice) Go to a range that has several guns that you may be interested in and rent/shoot them. Ask other members here if they may meet you at a range for you shoot their guns. Most are pretty accommodating to help/ let You shoot their gun to help you out. Get some training (I can’t emphasize this enough) with some quality instructors on this forum. Hopes this may help in your quest.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Welcome! :thumbsup:

I was where you were 14 months ago when I began my journey last May 2017.
    I had a background with some gun familiarity in my 20s and 30s with the smaller calibers: 22LR, .25, .32, and with a few .38 specials.
    Like you, I have a Walther P22Q, but I have several .22LRs but none for self-defense purposes and are strictly range toys.

I recommend a small 5 shot "J" frame .38 special revolver, unless you can carry a 6 shot (bigger frame).
    I use the S/W 642 hammerless .38 special snubbie "J" frame 5 shot.
    That is my primary CC, but I'm old and the most of the younger guys grew up on the 9mm.
    I have a few of them, the S/W M/P Shield 9mm beat out a dozen other 9mm at the range, and I have the Glock 26 9mm, as well.
    I tried out many to get to those and you will have to figure out what fits best for you, as well.

I also have a .380 in the Glock 43 and an old Colt Mustang .380, and I had the S/W M/P Bodyguard .380 that I enjoyed.
    The .380 is a smaller caliber (but better than the .22LR for personal defense), and I only use it for when I need the smallest for concealment.

You will find a wealth of material and advice here on this site, and the guys have been quite helpful and patient with me.
    I have 8 pages of threads here journaling my progress.
    I hope you are smarter than me and can do it in less. :laugh:

Not trying to jump on your toes, as I enjoy reading your reports and reviews, however the G 43 is 9mm, not .380. The .380 is the G42. I just didn’t want the OP to be confused!

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    If you can get free on the 27th stop by Parabellum in Avon and see what the guys that actually practice/train use, and how well the gear works. Coach's next Carry Gun Match starts at 6PM there. There's usually an INGO member there shooting a 5 shot 38 but most of the people are using 9MMs. Also a good place to see what gear (holsters, belts) seems to work well for most people. Doddg why don't you sign up and see how your revolver fares against the autos. Again I'll quote BBIs, "you don't know what you don't know". Unless you've actually tested your gear and yourself you will never learn what you don't know.
    My guess would be that 90% of the people carrying guns for self defense have never drawn and fired at so much as a piece of paper. This match is the place to separate what you think you know from what you can actually do.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Aschacht

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Yes my p22 is my every day carry. And what I don't like about it is that I don't feel like it would be enough stopping power. The thing I like about it the most is how cheap the ammo is. So when I do upgrade I don't want a caliber that is going to be that much more expensive but have the reassuring stopping power.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Yes my p22 is my every day carry. And what I don't like about it is that I don't feel like it would be enough stopping power. The thing I like about it the most is how cheap the ammo is. So when I do upgrade I don't want a caliber that is going to be that much more expensive but have the reassuring stopping power.

I think a 9mm would be a good choice. You might want to go to a range that rents guns and try a shield. They are fairly easy to shoot and are also reasonable, and you should have no problem finding a holster.

Aschacht

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Another question I have about my walther p22 is that I normally buy Remington gold bullet for target practice. But I noticed that occasionally I get a jam on the ejecting case. Would that be a ammo problem or a gun problem?

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Another question I have about my walther p22 is that I normally buy Remington gold bullet for target practice. But I noticed that occasionally I get a jam on the ejecting case. Would that be a ammo problem or a gun problem?
    22lr can be ammo picky. For 22lr handguns I use high velocity ammo (CCI mini mags) which seems to work great for me.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’m going to start by saying, don’t ever trust what doddg has to say! While I won’t ever put down what another member has to say, he’s Not the one to trust on Carry matters. Decide what you actually want to use as a defense gun (22lr ain’t the best choice) Go to a range that has several guns that you may be interested in and rent/shoot them. Ask other members here if they may meet you at a range for you shoot their guns. Most are pretty accommodating to help/ let You shoot their gun to help you out. Get some training (I can’t emphasize this enough) with some quality instructors on this forum. Hopes this may help in your quest.

1. Never had anyone in my life use the words, "not trust" and my name in the same sentence. :dunno:
    2. I recommended a .38 special revolver: "I recommend a small 5 shot "J" frame .38 special revolver." Fairly basic and obvious recommendation. :coffee:
    3. Next, I mentioned the 9mm. A much more popular and basic recommendation. :popcorn:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you can get free on the 27th stop by Parabellum in Avon and see what the guys that actually practice/train use, and how well the gear works. Coach's next Carry Gun Match starts at 6PM there. There's usually an INGO member there shooting a 5 shot 38 but most of the people are using 9MMs. Also a good place to see what gear (holsters, belts) seems to work well for most people. Doddg why don't you sign up and see how your revolver fares against the autos. Again I'll quote BBIs, "you don't know what you don't know". Unless you've actually tested your gear and yourself you will never learn what you don't know.
    My guess would be that 90% of the people carrying guns for self defense have never drawn and fired at so much as a piece of paper. This match is the place to separate what you think you know from what you can actually do.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

1. Thanks so much, NTH3: that would be perfect! :thumbsup:
    2. But, right now I'm a very few days home from a total hip replacement and I won't be driving by the 27th (I do want to beat the 6 weeks they are telling me).
    I'm doing good to go for an 7-8 minute walk right now with the walker.
    When I shed the walker and can drive I would love to do something like that, especially when I'm on vacation.
    3. My Smith 642 doesn't do well in accuracy against any other .38 special I've had (Charter Arms, Taurus 85, Ruger Security Special), so I would not use it to prove anything.
    But it would be fun to see how my Glock 26, FNS or Ruger P89 would do. It would be fun to just watch others go through the paces, though!
    4. I am painfully aware that I only know what I read and nothing from personal experience, so it would be yet another humbling experience in my journey here.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

Considering 22lr is around .04-.09 cents a round anything you move up into will have a substantial ammunition price increase. 9mm target ammo averaging 18-20 cents per round and probably the cheapest option that I would trust in an everday carry. Although good defense ammo is much more expensive than target ammo. In a carry gun the last thing I think about is cost of ammunition. Above all else is whether the ammo is effective, I have found that 357sig and hot 40sw to be an excellent compromise on power. Next thing to consider is how will you carry? I carry concealed, but outside the waistband. This carry requires wardrobe selection, generally longer cut shirts, but allows me to comfortably carry a full size glock 22 (40sw) or more comfortably a glock 32 (compact double stack 357sig) or an mp 2.0 compact (in 40sw). 9mm is cheaper, and has some very hot and effective self defense rounds available I just like the extra powder behind 357sig. There are reliable pistols available in any caliber you could want, I'd definitely get the 22lr out of your edc rotation and put something on your belt that will make a difference. I've had a friend get hit in the side of the head with a 22 and the bullet rode the outside of his skull and had to be popped out from under his skin. Another guy I knew shot himself in the neck with a 22 rifle, he drove himself the 30minutes home and asked his parents what to do. Sure 22lr will kill someone, but it is extremely selective. Like using a 223 to hunt a moose, you're probably going to make them madder and put yourself in more danger.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    So when I do upgrade I don't want a caliber that is going to be that much more expensive but have the reassuring stopping power.
    Then your search is over before it began. As far as “stopping power”, you’re better of buying a big truck with a huge sturdy bumper. Cheap and potentially life saving equipment should NEVER be used in the same paragraph.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    2. I recommended a .38 special revolver: "I recommend a small 5 shot "J" frame .38 special revolver." Fairly basic and obvious recommendation. :coffee:
    Why? They are more difficult to shoot for beginners, the sights, in general suck, the recoil on some is no fun with full power loads, shall I continue? The J-frame is an excellent gun, I own several, but it’s not really a beginners/newbie gun.

Top Bottom