• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'm 5'10" and fluctuate 128 lbs to 150 lbs depending on training cycle. A well designed kydex holster from JM Custom is the most comfortable I've tried (that includes the leather/kydex contraptions). I've had kydex that sucked before. You have to find a good one that works for you.

Does look busy... Not that model but the Stingray for a P30SK. I'm a thinner guy so I had to go with a leather-kydex for comfort. The kydex-to-skin-poke was not working...

Anyway, here is my :twocents: http://www.mdjcustomholsters.com/ but they show site down until June 25th. :dunno:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I'm 5'10" and fluctuate 128 lbs to 150 lbs depending on training cycle. A well designed kydex holster from JM Custom is the most comfortable I've tried (that includes the leather/kydex contraptions). I've had kydex that sucked before. You have to find a good one that works for you.

I was 150 when I was 13....

You are quite correct. I'll bet I have a couple dozen misc holsters that I didn't like over the decades that just ended up in a box. Even extra six shooter rigs but that's another story!

I had never heard of Clinger before and, as was pointed out, it looks busy which leads to excess edges and the like.

I know the Milt Sparks agrees with me. I am not young and, to me, holsters are leather. :) Just kidding; kydex is great. I was a slow convert but it has many advantages.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Does look busy... Not that model but the Stingray for a P30SK. I'm a thinner guy so I had to go with a leather-kydex for comfort. The kydex-to-skin-poke was not working...

Anyway, here is my :twocents: http://www.mdjcustomholsters.com/ but they show site down until June 25th. :dunno:

Im also looking at holsters for my HK p30sk. JM just lists vp9sk. If I'm still looking after the 25th I'll revisit the mdj website. Can you post pic? Thanks!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Only disadvantage I've found with kydex is the low (relatively) temperature at which it can/will distort. There's been guys that have left kydex holsters in their car and had them distort.

I was 150 when I was 13....

You are quite correct. I'll bet I have a couple dozen misc holsters that I didn't like over the decades that just ended up in a box. Even extra six shooter rigs but that's another story!

I had never heard of Clinger before and, as was pointed out, it looks busy which leads to excess edges and the like.

I know the Milt Sparks agrees with me. I am not young and, to me, holsters are leather. :) Just kidding; kydex is great. I was a slow convert but it has many advantages.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Only disadvantage I've found with kydex is the low (relatively) temperature at which it can/will distort. There's been guys that have left kydex holsters in their car and had them distort.

I have never seen that happen in my kydex experience.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have a couple of the Clingers. Carried a G42 at a wedding and reception with a tucked in polo shirt with no issues. The G19 Clinger will be concealed as long as I keep my shirt untucked. I'm about 5'7", currently, at about 160 lbs so have a problem concealing large handguns. It's the length of the grip that causes the issues. For the $$ they are pretty good holsters.
    Since moving to a RMR on my G19 I now go with a Bravo Concealment IWB. I refuse to go with AIWB for several important reasons, for ME, so don't even consider them nor the hybrids.

Bob

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I haven't had it personally happen, but have read reports. Mostly, people leaving them in their car in direct sunlight when it was 90+ deg. outside with no gun in the holster. Let the holster cool with no gun in it, and gun no longer fits in the holster.

Normal working temp of kydex is 275-300.....I could see getting some deformation in a super hot car in the sun. Hasn't happened to me personally, but I worry about it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've been leaving my G19 in my Raven Concealment under the seat the past few days when I go into a couple of "buildings" where I'm NOT allowed to have weapons. The interior temp of my vehicle has to be well over 100 lately and not a bit of change in fit. I have it on my hip now while sitting at my desk.
    I have had a couple of cheaper Kydex holsters that did distort in the heat and one that cracked in the cold.
    I'm still of the belief that you get what you pay for.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I left my original Blade-Tech belt holster in the garage on a shelf for over a year (I was injured and could not go to the range). When I was planning my first trip back to the range, the holster had partially collapsed in the heat of the summer and would no longer accept the gun (1911). I sent it back to Blade-Tech and they re-molded it for me.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have no experience with that particular model, but don't see any red flags and would be interested in how it works out for you. Clinger is a reasonable quality product at a reasonable price point, IMO. I use them for guns I need a belt holster for in order to qualify but don't normally belt carry (Shield, LCR)

Also, on the subject of Kydex: Not all Kydex is equal, and not all "Kydex" is actually Kydex. Quality can vary quite a bit, as can heat resistance, longevity, flexibility, etc.

mbkintner

Up the Irons
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Behind You
    I have a V2 Clinger. Shipping was quick and the holster is well made and comfortable. My only problem has been that it tends to make my pants migrate clockwise at the waste.

Top Bottom