• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've been thinking about getting a .45acp. But I'm kinda torn between a G**** or a 1911. This will be a range piece and not a carry gun.

Here's my thinkin'. I've only shot a few G****s and wasn't thrilled with them. I hit where I was aiming but the grip angle always seems to throw me off. When I bring it up, the front sight is way above the rear. I've heard that you can use that to your advantage in getting a sight picture. So I've been thinking about trying to overcome this.

My wife has a 1911 in 9mm. It's a sweet shooter. Accurate and easy to work. But I don't have one yet. I know the price will be a few hundred over the G****, so I'll have to figure that into the equation.

I guess my eventual plan will be to have a pistol in 9, 40 and 45. That way when the next ammo shortage happens, I'll have more options.

I currently carry 9mm's in the XDm and XDs varieties. I'm not interested in any other models right now so lets keep it on G**** vs 1911.

And go.....

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I’m a Glock guy but if I were in the market for a .45 it would be a 1911. .45 caliber Glocks are like hanging on to a rolling pin.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    1911. But not a cheap one. From what I have seen here, you'll pay a 'smith enough $$ to fix a cheap 1911 that you should have just bought a better 1911.

I kinda wish I didnt sell my Kimber to fund my AR-9. I may consider buying a Ruger 1911. They seem to be reasonably priced and reasonably made.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    1911. But not a cheap one. From what I have seen here, you'll pay a 'smith enough $$ to fix a cheap 1911 that you should have just bought a better 1911.

I kinda wish I didnt sell my Kimber to fund my AR-9. I may consider buying a Ruger 1911. They seem to be reasonably priced and reasonably made.

Selling a Kimber is always the right decision.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I picked up a used Springfield Champion for my first 1911. Definitely can't complain. Accurate as i am, reliable, and i paid $550 with a total of 3 mags. Ran roughly 500 rounds thru so far and not a single hiccup. That being said i haven't had any issues with my Glocks and reliability and accuracy are great also. All comes down to what fits and suits you best.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Selling a Kimber is always the right decision.

I liked mine. It ran like a top, and was pretty. I got a killer deal on it from a buddy. I'd buy it back again if the guy I sold it to wanted to get rid of it again for about what I sold it for. They are overpriced, thats for sure.

I could drive tacks with that thing. I just couldnt justify having a safe queen.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    This one listed in the Ingo classy's started out a bit salty (IMHO) but he is getting more reasonable with his price now.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ers/455199-ruger-sr1911-stainless-45auto.html

The price quoted now is a good price for that gun. I have to second this recommendation, as my first 1911 was the Ruger SR1911 and I loved it. When I bought mine, $600 was the new price, but not long after it was raised to $650 and it has seldom come down since. Right now they're going for ~$675 or so online. This would be a great buy for the price, or you could save up for a Dan Wesson Heritage. Higher price, but higher quality. For a first 1911 though, that Ruger is hard to beat :yesway:

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    The price quoted now is a good price for that gun. I have to second this recommendation, as my first 1911 was the Ruger SR1911 and I loved it. When I bought mine, $600 was the new price, but not long after it was raised to $650 and it has seldom come down since. Right now they're going for ~$675 or so online. This would be a great buy for the price, or you could save up for a Dan Wesson Heritage. Higher price, but higher quality. For a first 1911 though, that Ruger is hard to beat :yesway:

Yup, they've for sure went up a bit....
    https://gunwatcher.com/ruger-sr1911--for-sale-in-stock/guns-best-price-link

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/Ruger SR1911 ?view=list

Not sure of the overall quality, but the Remingtons have been on sale at different places lately......:dunno:

Chr15topher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    New Albany
    If it were me, and money didn’t matter, I’d choose a 1911 any day of the week. You can not beat that trigger pull, metal on metal feel when racking the slide, customization, accuracy, and beauty.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I'm with the majority here, go for the 1911. The Glock will be the inexpensive choice, but a gun is a long-term investment for most of us (except doddg!!!).

Buy once, cry once for sure.

You already mentioned that you don't shoot the Glock as well as you do other guns, so why mess with it? Having different sets of aiming angles seems to me would get confusing as you switch between guns.

This is nothing against Glocks (OK, maybe it is!!! :): ), but the 1911 is a precision instrument that has lasted the test of time.

1911. No contest. No question.

Top Bottom