• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosbar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Just outside Indy
    I'm thinking of having some work done on my S&W 586.

Has anyone had Highsmith's do any trigger work to their revolvers? How does their work compare to S&W's Performance Center? Are their prices reasonable?

Bosbar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Just outside Indy
    OK, I looked up Sandy Burr Ranch.
    Seems like he knows what he's doing and has a good rep. but, 2 hr. drive up, 2hr. drive back, when the gun is finished, 2 hr. drive up, 2 hr. drive back.
    I don't know anything about Highsmiths either but, could Sandy Burr be that much better to drive 8 hrs.?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Cannot speak to the mentioned parties, but I will say that INGOer BossHoss is a master class (maybe now GM?) USPSA revolver shooter on top of being a S&W gunsmith. I would consult him with any revolver questions before venturing other directions. :twocents:

profilepic7639_5.gif

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I would probably stick with someone who knows the platform you want worked on. Highsmith does everything gun smithing wise. They don't specialize in trigger jobs on a s&w like other places will.

Highsmith is a good shop. I've bought from them a few times.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    OK, I looked up Sandy Burr Ranch.
    Seems like he knows what he's doing and has a good rep. but, 2 hr. drive up, 2hr. drive back, when the gun is finished, 2 hr. drive up, 2 hr. drive back.
    I don't know anything about Highsmiths either but, could Sandy Burr be that much better to drive 8 hrs.?

I don't know if Denny is an eight hour drive better than Highsmiths but I do know that he is worth an eight hour drive.

If you are consider sending it in for a SW Performance Center action job; just ship it to Sand Burr.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Is Denny Reichard at Sand Burr Gun Ranch worth the extra driving? Is the Pope Catholic? Denny is one of the finest S&W gunsmiths in the USA with a national reputation. Go ask Masad Ayoob who he would take a S&W revolver to for action work? What do you want to do? Some amateur or you engage in DIY and screw up your revolver? Besides, you go to Sand Burr, shoot the breeze with Denny and bring more guns and spend some time shooting steel on his ranges. You will not find a better smithy than Denny; all my S&W revolvers have had Denny do his magic on the actions and they all shoot like a dream!

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    IMO a spring kit will satisfy some people. Some want more and better. I specialize in S&W revolvers and cater toward the competition shooters but do a lot of carry guns and some general repair. Sadly from what I've seen in the shop most trigger jobs are a spring change and maybe stoning the rebound slide. I would guess that 95% of these guns have no work on the cylinder stop and I feel that is more important than stoning the rebound slide in getting a smooth trigger.
    NEVER seen any action work from the Performance Center that was worth what they charge.
    Denny does good work and I have had several of his guns come through the shop when the owners were ready to take it to the next level(mostly competition shooters).
    You may be happy with just a spring change but when you want better look up a person that specializes in S&W revolvers.

Thanks bwframe for the kind words and yes I made GM 2 or 3 years ago.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Bosshoss knows what he is talking about, especially about the Performance Center. Sad but true. I will not tell my story about that...

Anybody contemplating a proper trigger job on a S&W revolver should be cognizant of the fact that the gunsmith is merely accelerating normal wear of the internal mating surfaces. The owner can perform much of this wear and smoothing by thousands of dry fire cycles. Dry firing also strengthens the trigger finger and can prevent having to do anything to the internals. I am a believer in stock springs for reliable service in all environmental conditions along with a smoothing of internal contact surfaces. Just installing lighter springs can actually change the timing of the revolver.

My advice is to dry fire your revolver a couple thousand times before turning it in for a trigger job. It makes the gunsmiths job a lot easier because it points out the wear spots.

I love my 586.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom