• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    My current EDC is a Glock 30 and I love it, but... every year I am allowed a "blue lable" Glock @ LE prices(too cheap to NOT buy).
    Am considering going to a G-20(10mm).
    Would it really be higher performance or just hype?
    Input and experience appreciated.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I can't speak for the 20, but I'm happy with my 40 MOS. It's the only Glock I own. Shibumiseeker on this board is a really knowledgeable guy when it comes to 10mm.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Depends on what you want it for.

For personal defense? Mostly hype. A G30 will get the job done just fine. As will a good 9mm or .40 pistol.

For a great woods gun in black bear/mountain lion country? Distinct advantage to the G20 due to capacity and good hardcast ammo that is appropriate for defense against most threats, both 2 legged and 4 legged.

A bonus for the G20 is that it can shoot .40 S&W ammo without modification. If doing that makes you cringe, aftermarket .40 barrels are readily available. No swapping of extractors/ejectors/mags is necessary.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    If it's strictly about power, the Glock 20 wins hands down. The 45 is more than adequate for self defense. Then again so is the 9mm and 40.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Dont own a 10mm but have given it some thought. What holds me back is the ammo is more expensive than most readily available 45acp. Thought about the 10mm since it is deer legal in Indiana now, but then again do i really need another caliber to stock up on.

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    My current EDC is a Glock 30 and I love it, but... every year I am allowed a "blue lable" Glock @ LE prices(too cheap to NOT buy).

What's your definition of higher performance? If you're looking for more foot pounds of energy then YES!!!!! As there is no competition between 45acp and 10mm loaded to true 10mm velocities. 10mm is not for everybody especially people who are recoil sensitive, but if you're looking for a powerful handcannon it can be a lot of fun.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

I have a Glock 20, 29, and 40.
    I love the 10mm round because it's very versatile in it's various loadings.

For EDC I found the Model 20 was kind of big.
    I have carried a Model 29 a lot through the years and like it.

The 29 combined with some Underwood ammo is a potent pistol, but not too hard to manage.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I parted with a G20 a few years ago because it was just too much gun for any kind of carry work, and I could only afford one pistol. For a 2nd or 3rd pistol (after a .22 pistol that EVERYONE should have), I'd highly recommend the G20/21. Or better, the G40/41. IMO, the 10mm really needs the 6" barrel. It's nearly another 100lb-ft in most cases, sometimes more.

If you want to be able to find ammo almost anywhere at reasonable-ish pricing, stick with .45. The ballistic advantage of the 10mm is cold comfort if you aren't willing to mail order ammo or reload.

I'd do either a 4.5" .45 like teh G21 or G30 or do the G40MOS.

I'm holding out hope someday that my 10mm itch will get scratched by a Dan Wesson Bruin. :ingo:

Rmodglin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Love both the calibers but 10mm imo is the most fun. Lots of different ammo out there for it. The lighter grain loads like the Underwood Penetrator 130gr 1700fps are mild on recoil compared to the heavy grain loads. Blast to shoot. 0528180816.jpg

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel

My G30 is in 45acp & 10mm auto and I have G20sf with extra KKM 6" barrel.

You can have both 10mm & 45 in your G30. Cost me $175 for stormlake(now owned by Remington) G30 conversion barrel to 10mm. Add 3 mags @$25ea.

which are very nice because you can get 10 rounds of 10mm and the 10mm mags fit like 9 round 45acp glock mag. which is very nice for carry.

Only one modification is required on your G30 to get 10mm to work- extractor has small tab, file down approx. .005" to allow it to close "grab" 10mm case AND

works with fat 45acp. too. Also, 10mm required stronger recoil spring which I bought Wolff (www.gunsprings.com) it's 21# which is not captured(has 3 pieces)

You can't go wrong with either 10mm or 45. Currently setup I have G30 with factory barrel Wolff spring & Crimson Trace CMR-201 laser.

G20sf has night sights and offers 15 rounds which I don't carry but could. I just feel 10 rounds of 45 acp or 10mm in my G30 is fine carry or nightstand.

It's nice to get discount so go ahead and buy the G20 and you can go with either. I will say the 6" KKM barrel gets velocity up but I'm limited by the sights and

don't get the accuracy I thought for use in hunting but I have revolvers with scopes that I can hunt with.

Good luck.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Accuracy wise G30 with 45 or 10 mm both shoots great for me. very accurate even @ 25 yds.

If you can shoot a G30 you are At 10 yards very tight groups with either and I enjoy both.

recoil seems same. with 10mm using 180gr fmj Sig ammo rated at 1250 fps have no trouble.

Did have trouble with 10mm double tap ammo, case smiles so I stopped using it in both guns.

G20sf is very fun but I can Shoot as accurately with the G30 but I don't plan to get rid of my G20sf.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    I have a 10mm g 40 mos we use for hog hunting, and I can tell you it hits HARD. I was just musing the point that as the crooks and bad guys get tuffer maybe I should too...
    My g30 is probably the most accurate sweetest shooting glock I got, so I'll just stay with it.
    Decided on g34 gen5 mos...one of my boys shoots USPSA/run and gun stuff- he'll get the good out of it.
    Thanks for your input!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Am considering going to a G-20(10mm). Would it really be higher performance or just hype? Input and experience appreciated.

A lot depends on your intended use for the pistol...
    Since you already have a Glock 30, you're well versed in .45 acp ammo, it's variable weights, etc.
    If you're considering getting a 10mm...just keep in mind that ammo performance runs anywhere from around .40 S&W numbers all the way up to nearing .44 magnum numbers...it all depends on what you buy...research is needed before you spend a lot of $$ on ammo only to find that it doesn't 'exactly' meet one's needs whereas ammo from a different manufacture would have been a better choice.
    I ended up acquiring an older G21 and converting it to .460 Rowland for camping / hiking purposes...it required a different barrel (one where the barrel was fully-supported and the chamber could be reamed to .460 casing specs...Lone Wolf handled it just fine) and a 23# recoil spring...and, WOW! It's good enough for anything east of the Rockies!
    Welcome to Littlestone Ammunition - Committed To Quality. Dedicated To Accuracy. has a nice variety of ammo and a great reloading program if you don't do it yourself?
    Best in your decision...

Top Bottom