• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This is my 9th day post-op, and I am pleased with the daily progress and now have hope I won't be impaired for months (yes, I'm impatient for recovery to be behind me).
    Yesterday I went from the walker to the cane, and today, the car. :rockwoot:
    Since the "program" has one driving 4-6 weeks after surgery, the wife is not happy with me, but I told her those were guidelines. :laugh:
    I couldn't have driven the roadster, but an automatic was a piece of cake (couldn't have done it a few days ago).
    Just drove 9 minutes up Post to get to Indy Gun Bunker (E. Washington/Post Rd.) where I use the range for only $13.25/mo. and since I go when they are not busy: unlimited range time.
    I could only shoot for 1:20, and I was wiped and glad to get home.
    B/C of my arthritis I would always end up leaning up against the wall to load, but I started out that way today.

I rented a Ruger Mark 4 (free for members) even though I couldn't do head-to-head testing since today was Revolver Day, but I had to try it out to see if it was any better than what I have: it wasn't.
    When I got home and checked my records of the other semi-autos it was just there in the mix (it did "as good" but not better than my others).
    But, it could be me today in just not being "sharp." I'll take my other semis with me soon and go through a more scientific test before I dismiss the Mark 4 as a possible "addition" in the future.

Now, for the Dan Wesson .22LR, and I did take other revolvers to pit the Wesson against:
    1. Ruger GP100 (newish)
    2. older H & R 939 (love this gun!)
    3. Taurus Tracker 990

Disappointingly, the Dan Wesson stats didn't get written down: I couldn't believe it!
    My overall from memory is that it was shooting very low and left: need to learn to adjust sights.
    With the "groupings" I'll have to wait to get that info, but I was not impressed with them at all, but I'll hold my judgement until I can write down the stats next time.

The H & R 939 did the best:
    8 rounds w/i 2 inches
    7 rounds w/i 2 inches in an additional test.
    Total: 15 w/i 2 inches
    (And it did NOT fire low and left)

The Taurus Tracker 900 placed 2nd:
    7 rounds w/i 2 inches
    2 rounds w/i 2 inches in an additional test.
    Total: 9 w/i 2 inches
    (fired left and low)

The Ruger GP100 places a close 3rd:
    5 rounds w/i 2 inches
    3 rounds w/i 2 inches in an additional test.
    Total: 8 rounds w/i 2 inches
    (fired low)

In my expanding circles at 30':
    H & R 939 beat the other 2 big time: 3/1st circle; 6/2nd circle; 8/3rd circle (bigger circle includes shots in previous circle) =
    Ruger GP100 : 1/1st circle; 3/2nd circle; 5/3rd circle
    Taurus Tracker 900 : 0/1st circle; 1/2nd circle; 3/3rd circle

Total at 30':
    9 = H &R 939: 1st and 2nd circles
    4 = Ruger GP100: 1st and 2nd circles
    4 = Taurus Tracker 900: 1st and 2nd circles

Total at 30' of 1, 2 and 3 circles:
    17 = H & R
    9 = Ruger
    4 = Tracker

Moral of the story: the old H & R 939 is the best b/c it is old, and old it best. :dunno:
    Since I'm trimming, I wanted to let the HR go, but not when it is shooting better than all other revolvers. :laugh:

Last edited:

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    It never mattered to me if my point of impact was my point of aim when I was initially wringing out a gun.
    I was concerned if it was grouping .
    I can move a group, not a "pattern". YMMV

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Is indy gun Bunker the place right near 465 and 70, but one exit east of 465 of i70?

1. What is the name of a gun shop around E465/I70 (not familiar with it)?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    It never mattered to me if my point of impact was my point of aim when I was initially wringing out a gun.
    I was concerned if it was grouping .
    I can move a group, not a "pattern". YMMV

2. I feel a little ignorant b/c I thought they were the same.
    3. I googled it:
    "In shooting sports, a shot grouping, or simply grouping, is the pattern of projectile impacts on a ... In shotgun shooting, the grouping is also called the pattern. The pattern is the spread of shots from a single shotshell, measured as the smallest circle containing ..."
    4. The above seems to be saying the same as what I perceived so you'll have to clarify.

Doddg- shoot me a PM when you are taking the DW next. I’ll see if I can meet you there. I’ll bring the two DW revolvers and the Mark series.

5. Areoflyer: you have made my day and put a smile on my face! :thumbsup:
    6. Here I am at home a little depressed (normal for impairment after surgery) and chomping at the bit for being able to get out an do something, and you offer exactly something that I would like to do, so now I have 2 people to get with next week. :rockwoot:
    7. After yesterday's outing, of which was very tough but brought happiness, today I am going out to deliver my Mustang to a collector, and I intend to stop by a couple of shops on my way home, and if I can handle it, stop by the range to get some stats on the Wesson that I failed to do yesterday.
    8. But, if I'm going to get with you, I might put the Wesson "on hold" b/c I need to do another run to see if I'm ready to sell the Shield .22LR and the Walther P22QD that I have (since my other .22LRs shoot better, so do I really need to keep a light smaller .22LR?: don't think so).
    9. I will shoot you a PM to find out which day/time is best for you, I'm on vacation and only have to work around P.T. and Home Nursing Care visits (usually M, W & F 9ish am and 5-6 pm).
    10. I'll look forward to it, and think I'll also be much stronger next week.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    If a pistol shoots a 5" group say, low and left at 25yds I can deal with that...Simply move the sights.
    If a pistol shoots a 2' pattern(like a shotgun @ 25yds, dispersed all over the place) a click here or there won't cure it.
    Does that clarify?
    I can move a GROUP by adjusting sights.
    I cannot tighten a PATTERN by adjusting sights.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If a pistol shoots a 5" group say, low and left at 25yds I can deal with that...Simply move the sights.
    If a pistol shoots a 2' pattern(like a shotgun @ 25yds, dispersed all over the place) a click here or there won't cure it.
    Does that clarify?
    I can move a GROUP by adjusting sights.
    I cannot tighten a PATTERN by adjusting sights.

1. Yes, when introducing the concept of a shotgun: I get it.
    2. But, with a pistol, I guess it would be it you took the human factor out and put the gun in a range vice: and it shot all over the place.
    3. But, if it consistently shot a group low or left or low and left: sights would take that out.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have another revolver range report so I put it here instead of starting a new thread.

30 feet.
    iJ6AtNm.jpg

Trying to see if I an eliminate a revolver.
    I want to eliminate the H & R 939 and I picked up a Ruger SP100 in a trade, and it is smaller than my Ruger GP100, so I'm open to it going.
    But, it will depend on the accuracy level to find the weak link.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have another revolver range report so I put it here instead of starting a new thread.

30 feet.

Trying to see if I an eliminate a revolver.
    I want to eliminate the H & R 939 and I picked up a Ruger SP100 in a trade, and it is smaller than my Ruger GP100, so I'm open to it going.
    But, it will depend on the accuracy level to find the weak link.

Which SP101 did you get? Assuming 357 magnum, what barrel length?

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Guessing from his picture, the person and the other revolvers listed are 22s, my guess is it’s a SP101 22LR.

Is there an option other than the 4” barrel for the 22 SP101?

Ah, didn't even really let the size of the holes in the target compared to the other revolvers I know he has sink in. I should have known that. Good call.

Yep, 22 LR double action not overly interesting to me. I did have an SP101 357 magnum many years ago, and have held out some interest on obtaining one again. At the time, I didn't zero in on my preferred carry method, and sold it off. I admit I'm prejudiced, when I think SP101, I think 357 magnum.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Have you played around with different types of ammo to see which shoots what the best? My 22 experience is much more limited that yours though I find most of my 22's somewhat ammo picky.

Seems like my most all around accurate and trouble free is CCI SGB. Great squirrel round too...

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Guessing from his picture, the person and the other revolvers listed are 22s, my guess is it’s a SP101 22LR.

1. Yes = .22LR

Is there an option other than the 4” barrel for the 22 SP101?

2. Caliber: 22 LR - Grips: Black Rubber Engraved Wood - Front Sight: Fiber Optic - Barrel Length: 4.20 - Material: Stainless Steel - Capacity: 8 - Rear Sight: Adjustable - Twist: 1:16 RH - Finish: Satin Stainless - Overall Length: 9.12 - Weight: 30 oz. - Grooves: 6 - Fiber optic front sight and adjustable rear sight.

Have you played around with different types of ammo to see which shoots what the best? My 22 experience is much more limited that yours though I find most of my 22's somewhat ammo picky.

3. Not is revolvers, but in semi-autos there can be pickiness.
    4. Today I was not using my CCI that I save for my semis, but was using either Blazer or Aguila.

Seems like my most all around accurate and trouble free is CCI SGB. Great squirrel round too...

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yep, 22 LR double action not overly interesting to me. I did have an SP101 357 magnum many years ago, and have held out some interest on obtaining one again. At the time, I didn't zero in on my preferred carry method, and sold it off. I admit I'm prejudiced, when I think SP101, I think 357 magnum.

1. When I go to the range I can use 300 rounds. (today was a "short day" and I only used 150 rounds)
    A. 300 x .06+/- (.22LR) = $18
    B. 300 x .20 (9 mm) = $60
    C. This summer I'm trying to go the range M-F.
    D. 1 week's expense in .22LR = $80
    E. 1 week's expense in 9 mm= $300
    F. 1 month's expense in .22LR = $320
    G. 1 month's expense in 9 mm = $1200

Conclusion: I love my .22LRs

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. When I go to the range I can use 300 rounds. (today was a "short day" and I only used 150 rounds)
    A. 300 x .06+/- (.22LR) = $18
    B. 300 x .20 (9 mm) = $60
    C. This summer I'm trying to go the range M-F.
    D. 1 week's expense in .22LR = $80
    E. 1 week's expense in 9 mm= $300
    F. 1 month's expense in .22LR = $320
    G. 1 month's expense in 9 mm = $1200

Conclusion: I love my .22LRs

I love shooting 22LR. Just not in an Sp101 or in a DA revolver. That said if I carried a DA revolver I would also likely have one in 22LR for training purposes same reason I have my AA kit and my S&W M&p 22 compact.

Not is revolvers, but in semi-autos there can be pickiness.
    I believe he is speaking accuracy not function.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom