• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I had quite the experience this am.
    Thought I had sold my Colt Mustang Pocketlite .380 to a collector.
    When we meet he pointed out some "smudging/marks" on top of the slide, which I never even paid any attention to.
    I would have taken pics of it so as not to have wasted my time or someone else's.
    This is what I added to my ad:

Full disclosure: There are some "smudges" on top of the slide.
    I took it to the range and they said it was not rust.
    They said some of the metals used in late 80s were like that and it was normal.
    Below is a pic of it.
    I don't know whether a very light sanding would remove the "smudges" or not.
    I don't know whether these are "carry" marks" from the little time I might have carried it (don't remember, it was 30 yrs. ago.
    I have learned in life to leave well enough alone unless you know what you are doing.

I was really surprised.
    He said I hadn't shown any pics of that, and I had not simply b/c I was so used to them (always been there that I remember) and they didn't register with me.
    I didn't know whether he was just trying to find fault to renegotiate the price or what? (which is what I suspected from the time he picked up the gun and began his comments).
    I told him that I realized that as a collector he would have wanted it in perfect condition and I should have looked at my gun with a more critical eye.
    He said, "No," but that would be reflected in the price.
    He offered $400.
    I declined and drove away apologizing for wasting his time and told him I would immediately take pics of the top of the slide.

I have declined other offers and an interesting trade for a CZ: lesson learned.
    Anyone who knows me (and here noone really does, of course), knows I would always disclose any fault and would never try to trick/swindle/deceive anyone over a money transaction: not in my DNA.
    I have been told I am honest "to a fault" which doesn't make me a good salesman, but fortunately, I have a real job. :laugh:

bCp8iYs.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Looks like from a holster.

A good bead blaster could probably make that look brand new.

I have matte SS semi's from the same era and they are extremely easy to scuff, mar and scratch.

1. That is what I have been told by others, which is why I never gave it a thought, and a collector would know that: I think he was playing me for a lower price, but I have trust issues. :dunno:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    What was your original asking price? Imo looking to buy a gun from the 80s you should expect a little wear. Hell, a gun a couple years old will usually have holster wear if it’s been carried a lot.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    And here I thought you got into a shootout, or at least an argument. Sounds like a pretty normal no-sale, to me at least.

I've walked away from a few, and had others walk away, because it just didn't appear to be the deal I was expecting/hoping. Until you lay eyes/hands on something, you just don't know for sure.

Thanks, but no thanks, shake hands, and go about your day.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If I was buying as a collector, it would be a firearm that has never been fired outside of the factory. The fact that yours was shot some would cause me to understand that there may be a blemish here and there.

For me, once it's shot, it's used, I'm not treating it as a collectible and I'm going to continue to shoot it and have fun!

Same way I'd be doing smoky burnouts with an old muscle car!

Disclosure: I don't own anything that is not getting used.:) I have no room in my life or dwelling to have "stuff" sitting around in some dark corner.

You will find another buyer.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Well....I don't mean to be critical BUT....

If I made a deal based on the previous pics and your comments about limited use, I probably would have been surprised to see the wear on the top of the slide. I likely would have berated myself for not asking and bought it anyway and chalked it up as buying lesson...your buyer had a different view.

Both you and the buyer lost a little time; nothing was intentional. I call no harm - no foul. Move on and work on the CZ trade!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, I can't really fault either of you. Sometimes, it just doesn't work out.

What you have didn't align with what he though you had. He tried to still make a deal. You didn't want to. All of which is fair play IMHO.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What was your original asking price? Imo looking to buy a gun from the 80s you should expect a little wear. Hell, a gun a couple years old will usually have holster wear if it’s been carried a lot.

1. $500 (and I said no to the usual $450 offers), and lost out on a CZ Compact trade that looked interesting, but I really need the cash anyway.

And here I thought you got into a shootout, or at least an argument. Sounds like a pretty normal no-sale, to me at least.
    I've walked away from a few, and had others walk away, because it just didn't appear to be the deal I was expecting/hoping. Until you lay eyes/hands on something, you just don't know for sure.
    Thanks, but no thanks, shake hands, and go about your day.

2. I can't fathom getting into an argument: I would just say, "This is not the gun for you," and drive away.
    3. My first time of someone not being happy with what I presented.

If I was buying as a collector, it would be a firearm that has never been fired outside of the factory. The fact that yours was shot some would cause me to understand that there may be a blemish here and there.
    For me, once it's shot, it's used, I'm not treating it as a collectible and I'm going to continue to shoot it and have fun!
    Same way I'd be doing smoky burnouts with an old muscle car!
    Disclosure: I don't own anything that is not getting used.:) I have no room in my life or dwelling to have "stuff" sitting around in some dark corner.
    You will find another buyer.

4. I feel the same way about things I buy. When I was into antique cars, I always just wanted a "driver" version. I had an old '48 Studebaker that has alot of putty in it, but I loved that car!
    5. Not even a bit worried about selling it. I told the wife: if it doesn't sell, I take the ad out and try in another year. :dunno:
    6. For $400 I would just keep it, but since I have the Glock 42, I made up my mind to sell it. I was trying to get out of the .380 caliber, but the Glock and this gun ruined it. Sold the SW MP Bodyguard with the lovely long double-action pull b/c the Glock was so much better.
    7. If I ever get a 9mm that is the samish size as the Glock .380, I'll finally be able to get out of the .380 caliber (the Sig 365 could be the one after the bugs get all worked out).

If I made a deal based on the previous pics and your comments about limited use, I probably would have been surprised to see the wear on the top of the slide. I likely would have berated myself for not asking and bought it anyway and chalked it up as buying lesson...your buyer had a different view.

8. No, not at all, I posted as to invite comments from the more experienced.
    9. If I was a buyer and expected "perfection" I would have walked away myself, but since I presented it as a limited-shooter I did not look at it with a critical enough eye.
    10. He even mentioned he wasn't looking for perfect when I apologized that as him being a collector, he would want perfection.
    11. Indeed, a lesson learned, but it got me out of the house, at least, but I was sooo glad to get back home. Yesterday 1st outing after surgery (9 days) was only 1.5 hours, but today's was about 3 hrs. Getting in and out of the car is the hardest part :crying: (have a small Corolla). :fogey:

Both you and the buyer lost a little time; nothing was intentional. I call no harm - no foul. Move on and work on the CZ trade!

12. I did save that email on the off-chance the sale would not materialize (had an older man want a gun and we talked at length one evening (fascinating man) and the next day after church I was supposed to drive it to him, but his wife said, "NO." Evidently he had a gun addiction going on, ha!)
    13. I did already email someone else who wanted to buy it today, but they were wanting my "best" price, and I told them that was the price (actually told him that was the posted price but if it made a difference I'd sell it to him for $475. I'm sure he would have come back with $450, and I have already turned that offer down a couple of times, probably from flippers, not that that offends me. :laugh:

Yeah, I can't really fault either of you. Sometimes, it just doesn't work out.

14. I feel bad about wasting his time since he drove from Kokomo down to Westfield (we met at the police station there).
    15. Lesson learned: I will look with a more critical eye and take more critical pics.

What you have didn't align with what he though you had. He tried to still make a deal. You didn't want to. All of which is fair play IMHO.

16. It was that reason (he still made an offer) that I think he always intended to wait till we got together to counter on some "malady" with the gun.
    17. He originally offered $450 in his email, and I thanked him for a fair offer but declined. He then agreed to my $500 and we had a pleasant conversation last night about meeting today am and talking about guns. My radar did not go up, and I have trust issues, therefore, a good radar. :laugh:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

I would generally agree with this. Sounds like he was disappointed but not rude. You both were gentlemen and no harm no foul.

A while back I met a seller to conclude a deal on a somewhat hard to find S&W revolver. The agreed price was at the high end but still within the typical range. When we met I found a couple flaws not mentioned previously nor visible in the photos including some rough spots on the grips and a very small but detectable ding in the cylinder. Price was just over a grand and I came very close to asking for a discount. I don't like it when people do that to me though and I let it go.

Conversely I have gladly reduced the price or added something to the deal when a flaw, wear or something else is pointed out to me of which I had not been aware.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I would generally agree with this. Sounds like he was disappointed but not rude. You both were gentlemen and no harm no foul.

A while back I met a seller to conclude a deal on a somewhat hard to find S&W revolver. The agreed price was at the high end but still within the typical range. When we met I found a couple flaws not mentioned previously nor visible in the photos including some rough spots on the grips and a very small but detectable ding in the cylinder. Price was just over a grand and I came very close to asking for a discount. I don't like it when people do that to me though and I let it go.

Conversely I have gladly reduced the price or added something to the deal when a flaw, wear or something else is pointed out to me of which I had not been aware.

I know you are good to deal with. It seems like all the Evansville area folks are good to go!:)

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Yeah, the 1980's at Colt were not their best years. The slide does look like it has a lot of corrosion, which speaks to the quality of the stainless. Also, the 80's Colts were known for galling problems...also speaks to the quality of the stainless.

I don't think your buyer was out of line in his counter-offer.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    CZ compact ...... drool.

1. I'll take that to mean I am to have an open attitude about the CZ Compact. :thumbsup:

2. If I went to buy a gun and and it was not as described: I'd be upset.
    3. Everything is relative to price, so I would counter. It really depends on the market and since I usually buy on the low end of the market, so there would probably be no sale.

I know you are good to deal with. It seems like all the Evansville area folks are good to go!:)

4. I have examined this incident and take it to heart examining what I could have done differently to never ever meet someone who is disappointed in the product I'm presenting. In all my years and different hobbies nothing like this has happened. I will make sure nothing like this happens again.

Yeah, the 1980's at Colt were not their best years. The slide does look like it has a lot of corrosion, which speaks to the quality of the stainless. Also, the 80's Colts were known for galling problems...also speaks to the quality of the stainless.
    I don't think your buyer was out of line in his counter-offer.

5. If I am asking too much, I need to do research to make sure I'm not out of line with my price.
    6. I am out of my league with 30ish yr. old Colt pricing, and only went to a couple of sites like Grab-a-Gun or Bud's to see what the prices were, and priced below what I was seeing.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    (Heavy Sigh)...
    Once again, I am going to suggest you purchase a copy of S.J.Fjestad's Blue Book of Gun Values.
    Pay particular attention to the PPGS firearm grading section.
    It will help you be able to describe,price,and defend your
    Pricing and Descriptions.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    (Heavy Sigh)...
    Once again, I am going to suggest you purchase a copy of S.J.Fjestad's Blue Book of Gun Values.
    Pay particular attention to the PPGS firearm grading section.
    It will help you be able to describe,price,and defend your
    Pricing and Descriptions.

He could probably find good grading articles and advice online.
    My opinion is the blue book is always behind on real world pricing, which is found in completed auctions on gunbroker.
    I always look at completed auctions on gunbroker that are recent to get an idea of what a firearm is worth.

1980's were horrible for Colt, I believe the Union employees were on strike, a lot of sub-standard guns were released by Colt.
    And it seems they routinely suffer from Quality Control issues. There are a lot of die hard Colt fans, I'm not one of them.

Top Bottom