• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Are they any good? Friend of mine, new to firearms asked me about them. Appears he wants his first to be a 1911 and is looking at the Ultra Carry. Any input would be appreciated, as I am of little help as I really don't know a thing about them. I do know he is on a tight budget.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Are they any good? Friend of mine, new to firearms asked me about them. Appears he wants his first to be a 1911 and is looking at the Ultra Carry. Any input would be appreciated, as I am of little help as I really don't know a thing about them. I do know he is on a tight budget.

A "Kimber Ultra"...?????

Oh hell no.

JMHO of course and no harm no foul to those who own and love their Kimbers....:)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm going to say that ANY mass produced gun these days can be "hit or miss" (pardon the pun).
    IF it were me buying another new mass produced 1911 it'd be difficult for me to put anything above Springfield Armory's offerings.
    I'd also look at the Ruger pretty hard as well. I haven't owned a Ruger 1911 myself but I have gone through one a couple of times for a good friend. He's not good at getting a 1911 back together without proving himself an idiot. The Ruger of his is a solid pistol, accurate, and seems to be a well build gun. It's a little rough on the machine finishing in non critical areas but for a budget 1911 it's a good choice from my limited experience with them.
    I've had a couple of the Remingtons. "HAD" being the key word here. These pistols may have given me a singular reason of why Remington has problems keeping the doors open.
    Kimber? I used to be their biggest fan. They seemed to go down hill and I went on a diet. I'm not as big a fan these days.
    Mass production guns are a crap shoot. Most of them will be fine, some will turn out stellar, and others may be guns with issues.
    Have your friend really look his choice over. Fit and finish should be tight with well blended lines. Slide to frame movement should be smooth as silk, slick as snot, and lock up tight on the rear of the slide with no wiggle.
    I like a non-creep trigger with crisp pull, and less than 6lbs out of the box. 1911 triggers are always going to feel fantastic to a first time 1911 buyer.
    IF your friend is going to get his first 1911 I wouldn't recommend an Ultra carry unless he's got a solid grip.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    A "Kimber Ultra"...?????

Oh hell no.

JMHO of course and no harm no foul to those who own and love their Kimbers....:)
    I looked it up i think he is talking about the Ultra Executive Carry, I don't like to make recommendations other than get what you want, do your homework, and make sure what ever it is it fits you. That aside i would recommend a Lightweight Ruger, commander Style 1911.
    I have one it gets carried regardless of season daily.

It's kind of like a little Caesar's pizza, not the fanciest, not the most expensive, but it works.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I looked it up i think he is talking about the Ultra Executive Carry, I don't like to make recommendations other than get what you want, do your homework, and make sure what ever it is it fits you. That aside i would recommend a Lightweight Ruger, commander Style 1911.
    I have one it gets carried regardless of season daily.

It's kind of like a little Caesar's pizza, not the fanciest, not the most expensive, but it works.

Harry pretty well covered this and yes, I am a dyed in the wool Springfield fan regardless of how idiotic their business/political practices are. Plenty of used ones floating around in really good condition. Many are un-fired.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Harry pretty well covered this and yes, I am a dyed in the wool Springfield fan regardless of how idiotic their business/political practices are. Plenty of used ones floating around in really good condition. Many are un-fired.

I told him about Ingo, he lives in Hebron, hopefully, he will pop in and do his home work, the Mouse knows.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    With Springfields decision to screw gun owners of Illinois I wouldn't think of purchasing a new Springfield anything. Used. Absolutely. I agree with the Remington and financial status thing. Colts QC went down hill when they were going to some financial hard times. Ruger seems to make a solid 1911.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    With Springfields decision to screw gun owners of Illinois I wouldn't think of purchasing a new Springfield anything. Used. Absolutely. I agree with the Remington and financial status thing. Colts QC went down hill when they were going to some financial hard times. Ruger seems to make a solid 1911.

Spot on. Colts are as much of a crap shoot as an RIA. I seriously feel the RIA (these days. The new ones) are a better choice if you are just a casual shooter.
    Springer screwed the pooch for sure. But as you say there are so many lightly or never shot pieces floating around that getting a good one is pretty easy.
    The Ruger offerings are decent 1911 entry level pieces.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I had a Remington R1S and really liked it. Sold it with just over 2k trouble free rounds through it, but if I were in the market for a new entry level 1911, I don't know that I'd go Remington. Right now, it seems to be Ruger that's doing the best job serving that market. RIA's are good now, but if he wanted to sell later on, they don't hold value well. You can take advantage of that fact and buy used RIAs but then you run the risk of getting an earlier one unless you know what to look for.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I looked long and hard at the Ultralight Executive. I find it to be a very nice looking weapon. In the end I took a pass, now this doesn't mean I wouldn't revisit this model if and when Remington gets their stuff together.

Top Bottom