Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Have handled and shot both.

The 509 once broken in is very nice.

M&P 2.0 is pretty decent and is an improvement over the 1.0

M&P 2.0 will be easier to live with in terms of common holsters etc.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Check availability of magazines, holsters, and parts, I think you'll find the 509 falls a little behind, If you look you can find s@w mags form 9.99, don't know if you'll ever do that for the FN's,

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    2 of 2 509s that I've owned had fail to feed problems after 2k rds. My 2.0 has been flawless. I'd go 2.0 all day.
    I've seen you mention this several times before. Did you ever try and diagnose the issue with the 509, or just gave up both times and sold/traded them off?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Help me choose. Please only comment from experience. Pretty much narrowed down between the 2.0 and 509.
    I have both and love both. The M&P will cost less to buy, have better aftermarket support, less expensive mags and more holsters to choose from. That being said, I like the factory trigger in the 509 more and I was able find a holster I like for it from a major brand, it also uses Sig P226 sights so there is that. I spent $160 and put an Apex trigger kit in my M&P because I still didn't care for the factory trigger compared to other guns I like. The M&P is a softer shooter in regards to felt recoil. Not that the 509 is unbearable, but it is noticeably snappier and was not only noticed by myself but a friend as well without me mentioning it before he shot it.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've seen you mention this several times before. Did you ever try and diagnose the issue with the 509, or just gave up both times and sold/traded them off?

They required thorough cleaning and would room another 100 or so before acting goofy again. Ive been told recoil springs would fix them, but I have no time for finicky plastic guns. Especially when a Glock will run 3k plus without a cleaning and the mp is nearing 1k without a fail. I did like them, enough to buy a second one, but the consistency in the fails =no go for a carry pistol.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I can't speak for the 509, but I have a 2.0 that I like. I'm also digging the CZ p10c. But for me I like the glock 19 better.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I have shot and I do like the 509, but it never really made me feel like I just had to have one.

I do highly recommend the M&P 2.0 compact. I have owned just about every iteration of the M&P, and I have to say that S&W finally perfected the design.

SzVUgSo.jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've got 3 M&P Compact 2.0's now. Still have my Glocks (been Glock only for about 20 years or so up until late last year when the 2.0 released), but the M&P Compact 2.0 has replaced the Glock 19 as far as carry for me. I still carry my 43 when I need to go small, as I haven't really checked out the Shields, etc in that space.

DustyMck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Borden
    I’m a big fan of the shield great shooter but between the 509 and 2.0 I’d pick the 2.0 just because The more broad track record and available parts.

Top Bottom