• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Alright as some of you know I have been trying to find a 9mm for my daughter to shoot and get some training with. We were out the other day and she handled a SCCY from the display case. The range didn't have one available at the time for her to try. She has mentioned that she likes the way it felt in her hand. Obviously that is part of the battle...and she says its "cute" :ugh:

So what has others experience been with the SCCY CPX2?

Is it a decent gun for a new handgun shooter or should I be steering her away from it?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    my wife doesn't have the experience I do but she loves hers. She has long fingers and not much arm strength buts can handle the long pull.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Cheap enough for a truck gun and if you train with it as a first gun, anything else will be a pleasure to shoot.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I still have one in the safe. It was one of my first handguns. I shot it quite a bit. It runs fine. I like the large(r) 3 dot sights. The DAO is long and heavy but the gun is accurate once you learn the trigger. The grip is kind of long front to back but if it fits her hand, well... For the money they are good to go. If you are close to Spencer you can try mine over at Precision Gun Range sometime.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Another possible suggestion. See if you can find an EAA Pavona Witness. They come in lots of colors and aare a bit larger than the SCCY. It's a CZ variant. The trigger is decent. A larger pistol should help her get more time comfortably behind the gun.

EAA-Panova-NASGW.jpg

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I have one. It is a decent little gun. Like someone else said it is dual action, the trigger is heavy and long. It shoots well enough.

I like it. CameraMonkey’s wife has one as well. She tried mine and liked it.

If you are near Indy and want to try it, let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So what I keep hearing the biggest concern with the SCCY is a long heavy trigger pull. That being the case does anyone know if there's a replacement trigger for it?
    She really liked the waybit felt in her hand. She has mentioned it in comparison to a hand full of other guns the last couple days. If she can manage the trigger it might be a good first gun. She wants something to train with but also to then carry. She is a firm believer in training with what you will carry (may have picked that up from me). Since it will be the only 9mm in the safe whatever I get her will have to potentially carry double duty as range gun and carry gun

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So what I keep hearing the biggest concern with the SCCY is a long heavy trigger pull. That being the case does anyone know if there's a replacement trigger for it?
    She really liked the waybit felt in her hand. She has mentioned it in comparison to a hand full of other guns the last couple days. If she can manage the trigger it might be a good first gun. She wants something to train with but also to then carry. She is a firm believer in training with what you will carry (may have picked that up from me). Since it will be the only 9mm in the safe whatever I get her will have to potentially carry double duty as range gun and carry gun

No. No trigger can fix this "ill". the "fault" is in the overall design of the gun.

Unlike a traditional striker gun where the mechanism uses stored energy from the slide to capture a mass under load, only waiting for a trigger to release it (SA) this gun makes you push that weight up the hill every time, much like a revolver. There is simply no way around it except to choose another gun.

Dont discount it until she has tried it on the range. I dont mind it and I run a 3.5lb trigger. Its just different.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    If you're looking for guns in that price range I'd look at the taurus pt 111 g2, the new g2c, s&w sd9ve, the eaa as someone else had mentioned.

If you can't find one to rent the gun store may let you dry fire it. If she still likes it buy it.

If its the color a lot of places are cerakoting guns also. I let my wife pick her gun with little help from me and I had the slidr cerakoted pink for her. This costs around $75.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    No. No trigger can fix this "ill". the "fault" is in the overall design of the gun.

Unlike a traditional striker gun where the mechanism uses stored energy from the slide to capture a mass under load, only waiting for a trigger to release it (SA) this gun makes you push that weight up the hill every time, much like a revolver. There is simply no way around it except to choose another gun.

Dont discount it until she has tried it on the range. I dont mind it and I run a 3.5lb trigger. Its just different.

Right on. I am hoping she and I can go shoot one this week while I'm on vacation

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If you're looking for guns in that price range I'd look at the taurus pt 111 g2, the new g2c, s&w sd9ve, the eaa as someone else had mentioned.

If you can't find one to rent the gun store may let you dry fire it. If she still likes it buy it.

If its the color a lot of places are cerakoting guns also. I let my wife pick her gun with little help from me and I had the slidr cerakoted pink for her. This costs around $75.

We've looked at an EAA but she really didn't like it. She said it felt like it was easy to line up the sights but she said it was just too much in her hand and felt unbalanced to her.
    As for the S&W sd9ve, is that the old sigma series gun? If so have they improved over the years? I don't know if she has looked at the Taurus pt111 g2 off top my head. I know ahe has looked at few other Taurus's. I admitted to her I'm not much of a Taurus fan. I had one and traded it off after a couple months due to rounds nose diving in the mag and stove piping. My brother had a millennium that broke 2 firing pins and it spent more time at Taurus than he had it. Have they improved over the years?

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    We've looked at an EAA but she really didn't like it. She said it felt like it was easy to line up the sights but she said it was just too much in her hand and felt unbalanced to her.
    As for the S&W sd9ve, is that the old sigma series gun? If so have they improved over the years? I don't know if she has looked at the Taurus pt111 g2 off top my head. I know ahe has looked at few other Taurus's. I admitted to her I'm not much of a Taurus fan. I had one and traded it off after a couple months due to rounds nose diving in the mag and stove piping. My brother had a millennium that broke 2 firing pins and it spent more time at Taurus than he had it. Have they improved over the years?

I haven't owned one in awhile. But my father in law has had good luck with his 709 slim and 1911.

As for the s9ve. Yes it is the old sigma series but they have made some changes and the trigger is better. They also make an apex trigger. When I was working in gun stores and someone couldn't afford a $500 gun I'd steer them in the direction of the sd9ve and taurus pt 111. Since then they have also released a g2c which I have never handled. I'd also put the PPX in there hands but walther doesn't make that one anymore. We sold a lot of sccys too. I'm biased because I hate double action triggers. But if thats what she wants go for it. No gun is perfect for everyone. Rural King also has some good deals on a m&p compact 2.0 right now too.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    There is a replacement spring for the trigger you can get for the Sccy. The other option I have seen online is to stretch the spring, it is supposed to make the trigger pull not be so heavy. Still just as long though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    There is a replacement spring for the trigger you can get for the Sccy. The other option I have seen online is to stretch the spring, it is supposed to make the trigger pull not be so heavy. Still just as long though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I would think stretching the spring would make the trigger pull harder.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I could be wrong on the direction for the spring. I read about this last summer right after I bought my Sccy. I found the video,

[video=youtube;q8m-VxolfgI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8m-VxolfgI[/video]

The upgraded trigger kit can be gotten from https://gallowayprecision.com/sccy/cpx/short-stroke-trigger-kit-for-sccy-cpx-pistols/, so you don't have to do anything that may be less than recommended.

Galloway has a recoil spring set as well.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I could be wrong on the direction for the spring. I read about this last summer right after I bought my Sccy. I found the video,

[video=youtube;q8m-VxolfgI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8m-VxolfgI[/video]

The upgraded trigger kit can be gotten from https://gallowayprecision.com/sccy/cpx/short-stroke-trigger-kit-for-sccy-cpx-pistols/, so you don't have to do anything that may be less than recommended.

Galloway has a recoil spring set as well.

Nice. That could be handy parts to make a nice upgrade. Been thinking DAO may not be so bad to learn with as it may force her to stay focused on the sights and to be smooth & steady on the trigger squeeze

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    I have both the sd9ve and the cpx2. And my daughter has the Taurus. The Taurus is a nice shooter, but has trouble with some longer cartridges.

I personally love shooting my sd9. It eats everything, and I have shot steel matches with it with good results, but it is a bit in the larger side for cc.

The Cpx2 is the easiest to conceal. I pocket carry it with a Jerico style kydex trigger guard on a lanyard. Shoots well, but snappy. Not something I would want to put 200 rounds through in one session.

Just my experience. Ymmv.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have both the sd9ve and the cpx2. And my daughter has the Taurus. The Taurus is a nice shooter, but has trouble with some longer cartridges.

I personally love shooting my sd9. It eats everything, and I have shot steel matches with it with good results, but it is a bit in the larger side for cc.

The Cpx2 is the easiest to conceal. I pocket carry it with a Jerico style kydex trigger guard on a lanyard. Shoots well, but snappy. Not something I would want to put 200 rounds through in one session.

Just my experience. Ymmv.

Have you done anything to it? (lighter springs, etc) I dont find it snappy at all. And the wife doesnt mind it either.

Top Bottom