• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Bought the CZ Omega 75 B this afternoon from a member in Columbus area.
    He took me to a local small range where I could shoot his Shield .40 (loved the Shields) and don't know what the big deal on recoil is (I hear Glock had more punch).
    The first target here was at 17 yrs./ 51 feet and I put 2 magazines through it.

uA6Gt8U.jpg

The next targets were back home testing the CZ 75 Omega B against the FNS and the Shield and even the Ruger P89 just for fun.
    Short version: The CZ won overall in the red: 5 to 3 to the FNS
    The FNS won overall in the red +grey: 14 to 13 to CZ
    The CZ won overall in the red +grey +black 29 to 19 FNS
    verdict: close, with CZ winning the closest shots over the FNS

30 feet
    j7G4spC.jpg

20 feet (I misspelled Shield: yes I feel stupid, but I was so tired and in pain, so please have mercy :laugh: Then I saw where I misspelled Ruger: I need my pain meds. :rofl:
    Vp1kbvW.jpg

Last edited:

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    So how does the Omega trigger compare to the vanilla or decocker CZ triggers?
    I have enough trouble even finding CZ pistols 'in the wild', let alone getting to shoot one.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    So how does the Omega trigger compare to the vanilla or decocker CZ triggers?
    I have enough trouble even finding CZ pistols 'in the wild', let alone getting to shoot one.

It's my preference. I like the reset and the clean break. They do take some time to break in, out of the box the is some grit in the take up stage

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It was an MP 2.0 compact not a shield, but it was fun shooting with you. The shields are smaller

1. We did not take a pic after using your SW MP Compact 2.0 40 caliber over top of the target with the two magazines of CZ in the 1st smaller target that you provided at 17 yrds/51 ft. whereas the other two targets were mine at 30' and 20'.
    2. The Shield used here with my "5 in 1" targets refers to my S/W M/P Shield 9mm that I bought off a member here last summer that I bought the two FNS from recently.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    1. We did not take a pic after using your SW MP Compact 2.0 40 caliber over top of the target with the two magazines of CZ in the 1st smaller target that you provided at 17 yrds/51 ft. whereas the other two targets were mine at 30' and 20'.
    2. The Shield used here with my "5 in 1" targets refers to my S/W M/P Shield 9mm that I bought off a member here last summer that I bought the two FNS from recently.

Ahh got ya

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So, what did you think about the CZ?

1. I rarely am impressed with a new gun b/c of all the hype that usually proceeds it, and the nuance are usually lost on me (a reflection on me, I know).
    2. When I fired the following guns, I was impressed, though:
    a. Glock 26
    b. Shield 9mm
    c. Shield 45acp
    d. Beretta 92
    e. Kimber 1911
    f. Kimber 9m
    g. FNS, but not sure at first it did anything, but I'm growing attached to it
    h. Ruger P89

3. There many guns I shot or bought that I immediately had no interest in, but I'll not list them (Glock 43 was one, Sig RS290 and other, the Ruger 1911 .45acp, but I'll stop).
    4. I liked the thicker grip on the Beretta 92, but it did remind me of that.
    5. I'm going to buy those $10 "grip covers" that I've seen: the gun store where I shoot was out of the proper size: that will thicken it up a tad.
    6. I was impressed with the accuracy, after I get used to it I think it will beat out my FNS and Shield
    7. Trigger? I never feel much difference between them. As you can see I fired the CZ and the FNS back to back 3/CZ and 2/FNS on the 30'.
    8. On the 20' I shot the CZ, FNS, Shield and Ruger P89 back to back and don't have any memories either way. I know that is a reflection on me, but that is the level I'm at.
    9. Now, Ggreen's S/W Compact 2.0 40 caliber felt fantastic in the hand, like all of the Shields I have or had.
    It felt like my Shield 9mm and Shield 45 caliber, but Ggreen's was a Compact, so it has a different name but it felt like a Shield to me b/c of my limited experience.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It was an MP 2.0 compact not a shield, but it was fun shooting with you. The shields are smaller

1. It was quite a treat to buy a gun and try it out at the same time, and have you show the the nuances about the decocker and the take down.
    2. I was so wiped out, I could barely get out of the car, since I went directly to my range to pit it against my other 9mms.
    3. My wife was laughing at me at supper time b/c I could barely move I was so worn out, and I only stayed an hour at the range but the driving and getting in and out of the car literally 12 times today was all the P. T. I needed for the day! :dunno:

2. And, for anyone reading this: I paid him 1st thing and did not withhold payment until the test was done, as if the gun was on trial.
    3. I know when I sell a gun, I want my money w/i 1 minute of the buyer touching it. :laugh:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    If you come shoot with me again I'll walk you through trigger feel. I think once you learn what your feeling and how to master your pull you will start seeing groups that touch.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you come shoot with me again I'll walk you through trigger feel. I think once you learn what your feeling and how to master your pull you will start seeing groups that touch.

1. I know I need training.
    2. I have 3.5 weeks before life gets complicated with school starting up.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    1. I know I need training.
    2. I have 3.5 weeks before life gets complicated with school starting up.

Training is always good, but I don't think you need as much as it comes across. Your found the x pretty easily. I suffer the same issue tho, following up too fast. I tend to rush the trigger and the only thing I've found that allows me down is paying attention to the trigger. Feeling the reset, squeezing to the break and realising slowly to the reset again. I've been dry firing, a lot, to try and slow my pull down. I really found the issue shooting on a timer, just seem to get ahead of myself. All of your initial shots were in the red or close, that's not bad for the first time behind a new pistol and at 50 feet.

Training is good, but it is a lot more effective when you look at it as something fun rather than a necessity. I want to do a Revere's Rider's pistol event. The carbine course was a lot of fun and have a lot of training that I've been taking to the range. Winter courses for me tho, way to hot in July lol

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Training is always good, but I don't think you need as much as it comes across. Your found the x pretty easily. I suffer the same issue tho, following up too fast. I tend to rush the trigger and the only thing I've found that allows me down is paying attention to the trigger. Feeling the reset, squeezing to the break and realising slowly to the reset again. I've been dry firing, a lot, to try and slow my pull down. I really found the issue shooting on a timer, just seem to get ahead of myself. All of your initial shots were in the red or close, that's not bad for the first time behind a new pistol and at 50 feet.
    Training is good, but it is a lot more effective when you look at it as something fun rather than a necessity. I want to do a Revere's Rider's pistol event. The carbine course was a lot of fun and have a lot of training that I've been taking to the range. Winter courses for me tho, way to hot in July lol

1. Thanks for the encouragement! :thumbsup:
    2. I always try to pass myself off as worse than I really am, that way I get to surprise people. :laugh:
    3. I found that when dealing online with people (having been in a car club for 8 yrs) it is disturbing how some will talk to others, but there is always the very civil crowd that lurks around but doesn't say much b/c of the critics.
    4. Me, I just have fun regardless.
    5. I will look forward to a range time, and it would be cool it we could get gmcttr in the mix as well.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana

I agree. Training is a blast (pun intended). Just like people who say you don't know what you don't know. Which is true, but you don't know how much fun training can be when you've never done it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I agree. Training is a blast (pun intended). Just like people who say you don't know what you don't know. Which is true, but you don't know how much fun training can be when you've never done it.

1. Good point! I have been so focused on my "restrictions" and pain (that I don't talk about much, but getting better) and concerned at not being able to fully enjoy the experience.
    2. Whatever I do, I try do well and whole-heartedly, with vigor and always having fun, and have been too overly focused and concerned on what I can't/won't be able to do.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I hope to sneak off to another range round with my "new" CZ 75 B Omega after out-patient P.T. (if they don't kill me first). :laugh:
    I hope I will improve my accuracy.
    I will concentrate on my trigger pull like Ggreen suggested. (he saw me shoot a couple of magazines at a range in Columbus, IN yesterday).

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I hope to sneak off to another range round with my "new" CZ 75 B Omega after out-patient P.T. (if they don't kill me first). :laugh:
    I hope I will improve my accuracy.
    I will concentrate on my trigger pull like Ggreen suggested. (he saw me shoot a couple of magazines at a range in Columbus, IN yesterday).

Remember to just squeeze until you feel the wall just before the break, then after the shot slowly release until you feel the trigger reset and start your pull again. I think if you slow down you'll see really nice groups. The reset "click" with the omega trigger is an excellent training aid, glocks also have a very positive reset. Your salvos start out in or near bullseye then start to circle around the target. You start your string where you need to be, but you get in a hurry to run the rest of the magazine out. It is the exact same thing I get caught up in. I find that my best pistol groups are when I'm alone with music bluetoothed into my earmuffs and just focus on hitting the x. I get myself in a rush whether subconsciously trying to show off, trying to beat a timer, exhaustion/fatigue, or just a general lack of focus. When I'm shooting sloppy (most of the time) I have noticed that I rush the squeeze after the reset. I've gotten really good at riding the trigger fairly slow back to reset, but almost instinctually squeeze back and let off another round before I've really taken a second to realign. This mistake causes solid first rounds but leads to a circling around the target like we see on yours. GMCTTR watched me do this at my first steel match, I just rushed the follow ups and caught multiple miss penalties. And when you have an entire squad watching you drown it really magnifies the rush and the mistakes.

I know we talked briefly about rifles. My 22 rifles have helped to make me a more patient shot. I've been leaning on them a lot recently, pneumonia and strep has left me pretty shaky so I've been shooting rifles the past two weeks. Pistols can wear you out fast which also can lead to rushed shots and sloppy mechanics that can become habit. setting a stool up on the line and shooting a semi auto 22 off a bipod is much easier and will still lead to better results with the pistol just based on breathing and trigger control tactics. Of course you can always set up a stool and shoot your pistols from a rest as well to keep from having to invest in a 22 rifle set up.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    2nd Range day with the CZ 75 B Omega.
    Short version: it beat everything today.
    Somehow I lost the pic that had the Shield and Ruger P89 on it, and the other FNS.
    There were 2 targets each for each gun (5 guns x2 = 10 targets)

EW2Z140.jpg

The CZ beat the others in the Red, Grey and Black with 2nd best in wild shots in the white.

Totals:
    Red:
    12 = CZ Omega
    09 = Ruger P89
    08 = Beretta 92
    8 = FNS Longslide
    7 = Shield

Red and Grey:
    25 = CZ

22 = Shield
    20 = Beretta
    20= FNS
    17 = Ruger P89

Red, Grey and Black:
    27 = CZ
    26 = FNS
    24 = Beretta
    19 = Ruger
    15 = Shield

Wild Shots in the White:
    -2 = Ruger P89
    -3 = CZ Omega
    -5 = FNS
    -5 = Shield
    -6 = Beretta 92

Last edited:

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Remember to just squeeze until you feel the wall just before the break, then after the shot slowly release until you feel the trigger reset and start your pull again. I think if you slow down you'll see really nice groups. The reset "click" with the omega trigger is an excellent training aid, glocks also have a very positive reset. Your salvos start out in or near bullseye then start to circle around the target. You start your string where you need to be, but you get in a hurry to run the rest of the magazine out. It is the exact same thing I get caught up in. I find that my best pistol groups are when I'm alone with music bluetoothed into my earmuffs and just focus on hitting the x. I get myself in a rush whether subconsciously trying to show off, trying to beat a timer, exhaustion/fatigue, or just a general lack of focus. When I'm shooting sloppy (most of the time) I have noticed that I rush the squeeze after the reset. I've gotten really good at riding the trigger fairly slow back to reset, but almost instinctually squeeze back and let off another round before I've really taken a second to realign. This mistake causes solid first rounds but leads to a circling around the target like we see on yours. GMCTTR watched me do this at my first steel match, I just rushed the follow ups and caught multiple miss penalties. And when you have an entire squad watching you drown it really magnifies the rush and the mistakes.

I know we talked briefly about rifles. My 22 rifles have helped to make me a more patient shot. I've been leaning on them a lot recently, pneumonia and strep has left me pretty shaky so I've been shooting rifles the past two weeks. Pistols can wear you out fast which also can lead to rushed shots and sloppy mechanics that can become habit. setting a stool up on the line and shooting a semi auto 22 off a bipod is much easier and will still lead to better results with the pistol just based on breathing and trigger control tactics. Of course you can always set up a stool and shoot your pistols from a rest as well to keep from having to invest in a 22 rifle set up.
    Trigger reset can make a yuuge difference in your shooting. The trigger reset means more to me than the trigger pull itself. It looks like you're making progress in becoming a better shooter.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Trigger reset can make a yuuge difference in your shooting. The trigger reset means more to me than the trigger pull itself. It looks like you're making progress in becoming a better shooter.

1. I think once I get with Ggreen (who I bought it off of) and he coaches me more about this "trigger thing," which I know nothing about, I'll get better. :dunno:
    2. It is fun to hit the red at 30' for me; 20' is too easy, but it has it's own fun also. (my standards are low :laugh: ).

Top Bottom