• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyMck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Borden
    I’ve been noticing 9mm is taking over with it’s new more powerful loads even competing with .40. Most people down right don’t want 40s are 40 cal handguns going down in value.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I think so
    and I'm going to buy a lot of them;)

I'm not sure of the reasons but these things seem to run in cycles. I like .40's and I don't think they are going to disappear but the 9 is the new hotness right now.

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    I think so
    and I'm going to buy a lot of them;)

I'm not sure of the reasons but these things seem to run in cycles. I like .40's and I don't think they are going to disappear but the 9 is the new hotness right now.
    I'm with you on this one, I like .40 and if people want to sell them cheap, I will buy them all day long

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Daaaannnggg coming in hot!

LoL. Short answer is no they are not going down in value. Down in demand compared to 9mm yes, down in value not necessarily. Lots of guys out there shooting them still, lots of us still carrying them. I rarely see a glock 23 sell for less than a glock 19. Beretta 96's hang in there with their smaller 92 brothers. If anything, I sell 40sw faster than comparable 9mm because the market is saturated with cheap new wonder 9's. The 40 has a steady following and some really gnarly loads that make it a ton of fun to shoot. I regularly get bulk fmj for 20 cents a round making it pretty competitive with 9mm for those who shop around.

I truly believe the reason you see so many underpriced 40's is from the leo trade in market. Lots of clapped out glock 22's and sigs floating around for cheap, but a comparable 9mm as clapped out would carry a nearly identical price.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Daaaannnggg coming in hot!

LoL. Short answer is no they are not going down in value. Down in demand compared to 9mm yes, down in value not necessarily. Lots of guys out there shooting them still, lots of us still carrying them. I rarely see a glock 23 sell for less than a glock 19. Beretta 96's hang in there with their smaller 92 brothers. If anything, I sell 40sw faster than comparable 9mm because the market is saturated with cheap new wonder 9's. The 40 has a steady following and some really gnarly loads that make it a ton of fun to shoot. I regularly get bulk fmj for 20 cents a round making it pretty competitive with 9mm for those who shop around.

I truly believe the reason you see so many underpriced 40's is from the leo trade in market. Lots of clapped out glock 22's and sigs floating around for cheap, but a comparable 9mm as clapped out would carry a nearly identical price.

A local gun shop stopped taking any 40's in trade recently, he's got too many used ones in the case to sell.
    I go in once in awhile to see what the prices have gotten down to. They are dropping but not to the bargain basement yet.

jimmothy86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Took my xdm 40 to a couple gun shows, had the full kit with it still, freshly cleaned, had less than 500rds through it since I got it new. Best offer I got was $250 and only as a trade

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Yeah, not much demand for them right now. I might pick up a P239 if I see a good one at a good price. Don't need it but... you know.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    A local gun shop stopped taking any 40's in trade recently, he's got too many used ones in the case to sell.
    I go in once in awhile to see what the prices have gotten down to. They are dropping but not to the bargain basement yet.

I haven't seen good used gun prices in a shop in years, most of the lgs' around me have a very stale used gun inventory. I don't think most shops have the time to keep up with armslist/broker/and local forums to effectively move their used inventory. A local shop has to be lower than armslist by at least 7 percent to make it even tempting. The mass leo shift from 40sw to 9mm will fill up the shelves with used pistols for a long time, it may make it hard for a shop to move them, not necessarily an individual. It'll flatten out, within 3 months of the new rifle laws for Indiana deer most local shops wouldn't take in slug guns or 270's, but it went back to normal within a year.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've been seeing them go pretty cheap recently. I dropped out of 40 a few years back before the bottom started to fall out. Not because of $ but because I just shoot 9mm better, especially in the smaller guns.

I've seen a couple of nice examples in the classifieds recently that went cheaper than a similar 19 or 17 would have.

That said, I know what the OP meant, but I'd say the "value" factor has gone up, as the price has gone down. Some pretty good value to be had out there when the function they serve is still outstanding, just fallen out of demand and folks' preference lately.

Last edited:

DustyMck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Borden
    I'm a big fan of 40s and their stopping power plus their current price makes them pretty attractive but on a college budget 9mm is still just cheaper to shoot at the range and easier to sell for around what you paid or more if you did well.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    With police dropping them the market is becoming saturated. I've been told that glock will not be making gen 5 40 pistols because majority of the guns returned are 40 and the high pressure the 40 has is causing stress on the guns.

I am in the market for a glock 23. I really only need a frame, but having a 357 sig barrel is intriguing to me.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    38-40 and 41 Colts are still pricey, so not everything that's old and 40 caliber is declining.;)

Top Bottom