• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyMck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Borden
    So the compact market is so big these days and I’m a big fan of compacts they are a great size for duty and carry if they have to be I personally am big on glock the most common but with offerings like the Fns, Fn509, beretta px storm, CZs, sig 320 and 229, steyr m9A1 as well as manny more what does everyone think of what’s on the market?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The Glock 19 is still the industry standard of a “full sized” compact pistol. The new M&P 2.0 Compact is making inroads, but it’s still an M&P. The market is flooded with compact guns, some good, some ok, some are total prices of ****. A bone stock G19 is still the standard, despite what others may say.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Any of the S&W J frame snubbies in 38 special followed closely by the Ruger LCR in 38 special. The G19 is a great full size pistol. But it is not a tiny pistol like all the little guns you can only get a two finger grip on.

None of the little pistols, revolver or semi auto are suitable for duty use. They are for desperate last ditch up close stop them NOW use.

If you ever have to use your tiny little gun to defend yourself you will know what I mean. Until that day, you will probably discount my opinion. You will desire a full size pistol in your hand from that day on. If you survive.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have just acquired a CZ compact and really like it. Never been a fan of the compacts due to being stuck in the .45ACP world for so long and nothing fit my hand well. This CZ seems to be just what I needed.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So the compact market is so big these days and I’m a big fan of compacts they are a great size for duty and carry if they have to be I personally am big on glock the most common but with offerings like the Fns, Fn509, beretta px storm, CZs, sig 320 and 229, steyr m9A1 as well as manny more what does everyone think of what’s on the market?

1. Just saw this post and can't wait to read it.
    2. This "quest" is what I have been doing for 13 months, and the input here has been priceless.
    3. It was a growth process with me and I "graduated" from small subcompacts to better tools and it truly was a matter of renting/shooting and finding the best fit.
    4. My favorite guns I rejected at first, but ended up with them.
    5. B/C of my newbie status I will not even mention what I have presently, or what I had and moved on, differing to the more experienced here, and I can't wait to read what they saw also.
    6. I will indulge and say that S/W M/P Shield or Compacts in all calibers were my favorites although I got rid of .40 and .45 calibers, and the Glock 26 I found to be delightful even though to the experienced here it is probably "dated."
    7. I'm so outdated that my default CC is a simple J frame (S/W 642 hammerless; a utlity tool, nothing "romantic."

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Any of the S&W J frame snubbies in 38 special followed closely by the Ruger LCR in 38 special. The G19 is a great full size pistol. But it is not a tiny pistol like all the little guns you can only get a two finger grip on.
    None of the little pistols, revolver or semi auto are suitable for duty use. They are for desperate last ditch up close stop them NOW use.
    If you ever have to use your tiny little gun to defend yourself you will know what I mean. Until that day, you will probably discount my opinion. You will desire a full size pistol in your hand from that day on. If you survive.

1. I'm beginning to see that the more I read and process: very sound advice for people like me who simply want as little as possible (b/c of deep concealment).

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Glock 19 is my favorite pistol. I'd give a CZ p10c and s&w m&p 2.0 compact a look also.

Sig 320, Sig is having so many issues with there striker fired guns I'd stay away.

I don't have much experience with an FNS I handled a 509 compared to a FNS and I liked the FNS better.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    There are many qualities options in the plastic/striker fired category. For those who prefer a hammer fired option I would recommend the CZ PCR. It has an alloy frame, is about G19 size and has a decocker. It's big enough to be a good shooter at reasonable ranges and light enough to carry comfortably all day.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Excellent point. Most compacts/subcompacts that are designed to be small, light and easy to carry are great for giving a person something better than just a sharp stick to defend themselves with. And, with practice and quality training they can do the job just fine...to a certain point. I am not an expert but have been around long enough to know that the compact/subcompacts have limitations especially at longer distances or when a target is on the move (which is challenging with a full size pistol).

But if any of us expected to get in a gunfight I would bet we would all choose a rifle.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Excellent point. Most compacts/subcompacts that are designed to be small, light and easy to carry are great for giving a person something better than just a sharp stick to defend themselves with. And, with practice and quality training they can do the job just fine...to a certain point. I am not an expert but have been around long enough to know that the compact/subcompacts have limitations especially at longer distances or when a target is on the move (which is challenging with a full size pistol).

But if any of us expected to get in a gunfight I would bet we would all choose a rifle.

Very true. But, for most people carrying a rifle is impractical in daily life. The thing about a gun is first deciding what it's job is going to be. There aren't many that are really good at everything. Usually you have to sacrifice one quality to get another. Sub-compacts are belly guns. They aren't designed to be anything but that. Yes, you can gain enough proficiency with one to be confident at 7 yards and beyond but IME there aren't too many people who invest that kind of time and effort into it. I'm not arguing against sub-compacts as a daily carry I am just saying that people need to realize what they have and what they don't. You have to know what is, for you and your shooting level, realistic expectations with it and what is not. It could very well save your life some day.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I carry a slightly modified (Galloway spring kit and guide rod) Beretta Nano every day. It's a solid little pistol and a great shooter up to about 20 feet. What I love most about it is you'll never know it's there unless I need to show it to you.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Define compact?

Seems like he hasn't yet provided a definition. It could be somewhat subjective I suppose.

For me, I'm not sure what would define a compact. Maybe my Shield since it's small but too big in my opinion to stuff in a pocket or wear on an ankle. But then again S&W 2.0 Compact is only 1/4" smaller than their full size pistol and they call it a compact. To me G19's and the 2.0 Compact aren't really all that "compact".

Or I could throw all that away and say yes they are. There are full size; G17, compact; G19 and sub-compact; G43 and that's just the way it is.:)

I would consider J-Frames and the like to be sub-compact though.

DustyMck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Borden
    I personally carry a smith and Wesson shield but I was referring to around the 4” barrel standard that most company’s use for the broad “compact” even though I definitely wouldn’t consider them the best carry options for size

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Seems like he hasn't yet provided a definition. It could be somewhat subjective I suppose.

For me, I'm not sure what would define a compact. Maybe my Shield since it's small but too big in my opinion to stuff in a pocket or wear on an ankle. But then again S&W 2.0 Compact is only 1/4" smaller than their full size pistol and they call it a compact. To me G19's and the 2.0 Compact aren't really all that "compact".

Or I could throw all that away and say yes they are. There are full size; G17, compact; G19 and sub-compact; G43 and that's just the way it is.:)

I would consider J-Frames and the like to be sub-compact though.
    I have noticed on here before that a lot of the younger people consider the G19 class as a full size. They think of the subcompacts and micros as "compact". That is why I thought we needed that cleared up.

Top Bottom