• what moa dot size?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    well the shooting gods smiled on shootersix, he won second place in his 3 month bowling pin match even after his red dot sight was off by 3.5 inches for 2 weeks, so what will that mean? the means I jump up to the next class! yeah right?...well you're wrong, I jumped up last year, (we shoot 1-3 month session, then 2-2 month sessions) I won second place in the second session with 31 wins, then went up a class, and won 5 times (yes I went from 31 wins to 5)

so I was able to drop back down this year, and in the 3 month session, I came in second, according to the person who counted the wins, I was so far ahead I could have skipped the last week, and still got 2nd place

so that brings me to my question ive got a ruger 22/45 decked out with all volquartsen parts in the grip (2.25# pull) and volquartsen parts in the bolt, but the factory 5.5 in heavy barrel, ive got a tactical solutions pac lite barrel 6 inch threaded that I plan on using for my suppressor (in about 5 years when my stamp comes back), I had a red dot sight on it, its a cheap 40 dollar aim sports "modern warfare" model
    https://www.cdnnsports.com/aim-sports-warfare-edition-reflex-sight.html#.Wz41T-SouUk
    (don't laugh, the skull covers the bottom of the bowling pin perfectly!,) but when I was shooting it in a steel challenge (the tac sol barrel) match it broke under the recoil (the reticule jammed to the very top right hand corner of the sight) the pac lite recoils a lot more than the 5.5 in factory barrel. so I went back to the factory barrel with the modern warfare sight (I had the same sight on both barrels)

so ive come to the conclusion that a better quality red dot should help, since I have a hard time finding the dot on the smaller window sights on a pistol (ive got a vortex viper on my 10/22 I don't have a problem with) I need something with a bigger window, so ive decided on a cmore railway (and midway usa says "happy birthday shootersix" and is giving me a 5% discount) I can get one for 236.92 shipped and no sales tax!

BUT I need your advice, I cant decide between a 6moa or an 8moa dot?

I shoot pins 3 times a month 10 months a year, and steel 1 time a month all year all outside, and steel is done my noon, and pins start in daylight, and end after dark sometimes.

so ingo what size should I get?

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    Only YOUR eyes know what you need.
    PROPOINT used to make a dot with 4 adjustable dot sizes and 11 brightness settings.
    Don't know if they still do- might be an e-bay item?

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    You will not notice much difference at distances you are shooting those matches. Below is a table that shows the dot size at various distances. At the distances you will be shooting, you see there is minimal difference in the size of the dot. Choose the dot you like for other properties, like window size. Most sights don't have both dot sizes available, so get the other features you want and get whatever dot size that sight has available.

Distance
    in yards
    Dot SizeDot Size
    1006" (6MOA)8" (8MOA)
    503"4"
    251.5"2"
    10.6".8"

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t rimfire matches shot from low ready?
    With a little regular practice you should be able to raise your pistol and have the dot indexed on the target without searching for it much. I shoot limited in USPSA and being able to have my iron sights aligned instantly after a draw or movement shaves a lot of time off the clock. Put a little time in on dry fire practice and you’ll be able to get whatever sized dot on target quickly by feel.
    I have a Viper on my 22/45 and want to get a C-more for my 10/22:)

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Vortex 6moa is sooo much better than a 3moa RD I ran last year. I also heard at the last steel match that C-mores can internals can be swapped out for different sizes. I don't know anything about C-mores though.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    as ive gotten older i'm starting to like larger dots. i shot for years with a tasco propoint tube dot on my open gun. i recently starting shooting steel matches, i have a tru-glo tactical reflex type dot on my rifle. red/green 4 dot sizes 3MOA, 5MOA, 3MOA w circle and 5MOA w/circle. my old eyes pick up the big dot/circle faster than any of the others.
    i like the tru-glo enough i just ordered one for my new ruger 22/45 tactical. :yesway:

:cheers:

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Back when I was shooting a lot of USPSA and other, it wasn't unheard of for shooters to run 15 and 20moa dots. For speed shooting, I still like the bigger dot. Currently running a 10moa c-more on my Ruger steel pistol.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I decided on a 8moa dot, it's due to be delivered today july 12th (according to midway usa, it was supposed to be delivered yesterday!)

so at work today I have my tactical solutions matte blue pac lite barrel, with the ruger picatinny rail already mounted, and as soon as the cmore arrives I'm going to mount it, bore sight it, and at 4 I'm leaving work, heading home, changing out of my work uniform, heading to the range to dial it in, and shooting it tonight in the pin shoot!

last sunday after our steel match I looked at a friends 8moa dot and its a great size for our bowling pin match! even with our "stubby" start pin!.

if you shoot an optic (either a red dot, or a laser) you have to start on the "stubby" its the top 1/4 of a bowling pin.

Top Bottom