• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Picked up another one of these in 38 special, it's a little large for the smaller cylinder and has small cut outs at the edge of the cylinder to fit the case rims. Parked next to the same revolver in 32-20 which does not require the cut outs, it's available in a variety of barrel lengths. Both revolvers have about the same single action pull as the Colts underneath but not the double action feature which made the Colt version such a seller in it's day. Both shoot well, better than the originals, and use easier to find ammo. They make good lightweight companion guns to those with lever action rifles in the same caliber. It is also offered in 327 magnum.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I have one in 38 spl. with a 3-1/2" barrel. I wear it in a cross draw rig as a companion to my 4-3/4" SAA in 45 Colt. They are nice guns.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    While I wouldn't know you on sight, have any of you tried cowboy action shooting? It is a blast and you get to put these great guns to use. I am a member of SASS and NCOWS and I get to play twice a month.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I've always read that the lockworks on the original Lightnings and Thunderers were a bit fragile and prone to breakage. I wonder if modern metallurgy would make them sturdier? Or if Uberti could design a more modern lockwork for them?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    While I wouldn't know you on sight, have any of you tried cowboy action shooting? It is a blast and you get to put these great guns to use. I am a member of SASS and NCOWS and I get to play twice a month.

Always thought it would be fun to try, where do you shoot around Martinsville?.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've always read that the lockworks on the original Lightnings and Thunderers were a bit fragile and prone to breakage. I wonder if modern metallurgy would make them sturdier? Or if Uberti could design a more modern lockwork for them?

They would need to rework the internals, the Lightning has flat springs, some of which look like two shepherd's hooks stuck together. I think AGarbers is right, they were made SA only for the SASS market.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Always thought it would be fun to try, where do you shoot around Martinsville?.

There is an NCOWS match the fourth Saturday of every month, just a few miles east of Martinsville. Home
    There is a SASS match the third Saturday of every month, and one on the fifth Saturday in the months that have them, near Carbon. http://pineridgeregulators.com/

I don't remember where you said you lived in a past post. There is also a SASS match in Evansville on the fourth Saturday as well as other all over the state. https://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=Indiana

I am a member of the NCOWS and SASS clubs listed above. You are welcome to come and see what it's all about, or even play cowboy.

In SASS the targets are close and fast. In NCOWS the targets are a little farther away with a little slower pace. Both are a blast. SASS also has a Wild Bunch match that centers on guns used in the movie of the same name, which includes 1911s, Winchester 97 shotguns, and a .40 or larger period correct rifle.

Top Bottom