Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have had several .22LR revolvers.
    I am down to 4 now.
    And, I have several .22LR semi-autos (in fact, I picked up a Ruger Mark 4 off Areoflyer09 just yesterday (name used with permission).

A Ruger SP100 is new to me (gotten in a trade with a longtime member here).
    I have a Ruger GP100 (larger frame, like my Taurus 990).

One time I put all the revolvers through their paces b/c I wanted to eliminate 1 or even 2 in my efforts to "trim."
    I noticed that my Ruger SP100 had FTF 1 or 2 rounds in the 8 round cylinder, but I had no such results with the other revolvers.

I didn't think too much of it and thought perhaps my ammo was the culprit (using couple of different types).

Yesterday, I was using Remington Golden bullets from the big bucket: 1400 FPS, 36 grain HP.
    I've not had any problems using this ammo in anything (pick it up for $75/bucket: 5 or 6 cents/round).
    I have bought this at a local gun store, and a couple I got from individuals and I don't know which is which, but that shouldn't matter since only this gun is FTF.
    I was shooting 3 of the revolvers (SP, GP and Taurus 990) and my Walther P22QD (for sale now b/c of CZ addiction :laugh:) and my Shield Compact.
    I had no problem with FTF from anything, revolver or semi-auto, except for the Ruger SP100.
    It fired all 8 rounds sometimes, but as I ran more rounds through it, it began to FTF anywhere from 2-3 rounds (maybe 4).
    I would keep double-action firing to engage them a second time and it did most of the time (might have done 2nd strike fire every time, not remember).

Is there a light-strike issue going on?
    Do I need to do more research seeing if all the FTF will fire on the 2nd strike, and that will be a different diagnosis?
    Since it is the only gun having issues, I don't see the issue being the ammo.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I would do some more testing. It could be light strikes. Clean the gun well and then test. See if you you get ignition with it being clean, keep track of rounds and note when it starts exhibiting FTF.

Though you aren't having problems with the Golden bullets in your other guns, it could still be the ammo. .22's can be finicky with ammo. I gave up on Golden bullets a long time ago as I had issues with them in my Weatherby .22 rifle. And that rifle never had issues.

The other test I would do is after you do the above and start to get the FTF, without cleaning it, run some different ammo. Maybe get some CCI in some flavor or a couple of boxes of Wolf and Aguila. If you get 100% ignition with other brands, stick to them with the Ruger and use the Goldens in your .22's that seem to ignite them better.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I dunno, could still be ammo. 22 is just so dang finnicky. You might go out tomorrow and shoot all day no problem.

Never had a .22 i could call 100% reliable with the exception of an old bolt action.

Of course, it could be a light strike issue im no gunsmith, heck maybe its just crazy dirty and the rounds arent seating properly?

Im sure someone will be around who knows stuff about things soon

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I dunno, could still be ammo. 22 is just so dang finnicky. You might go out tomorrow and shoot all day no problem.

Never had a .22 i could call 100% reliable with the exception of an old bolt action.

Of course, it could be a light strike issue im no gunsmith, heck maybe its just crazy dirty and the rounds arent seating properly?

Heck, you know stuff, you live in Bloomington!:):

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I would do some more testing. It could be light strikes. Clean the gun well and then test. See if you you get ignition with it being clean, keep track of rounds and note when it starts exhibiting FTF.

1. Will do.

Though you aren't having problems with the Golden bullets in your other guns, it could still be the ammo. .22's can be finicky with ammo. I gave up on Golden bullets a long time ago as I had issues with them in my Weatherby .22 rifle. And that rifle never had issues.

2. Always work for me, and I have many .22LRs that I shoot.

The other test I would do is after you do the above and start to get the FTF, without cleaning it, run some different ammo. Maybe get some CCI in some flavor or a couple of boxes of Wolf and Aguila. If you get 100% ignition with other brands, stick to them with the Ruger and use the Goldens in your .22's that seem to ignite them better.

3. Will do, plenty of different types.

4. Right, but just 1 gun having the issue limits the ammo being the issuer, in my inexperience.

5. Gun doesn't look dirty, but I'll give it a clean before the next range session.

Not being familiar with that gun does it have a spur hammer...???

6. I hate for you to spit out your coffee, but I googled that and got no relief. I read about hammers and spurs, but got no confirmation of the Ruger having one but in my reading mine must be a hammer spur by reading the description. I provided pics for your viewing pleasure.
    7. Are you done laughing? :D I hope you didn't hurt yourself! :lmfao:

IpQZ8lN.jpg
    n67QEMO.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Spur is that part sticking out that you grab hold of with your thumb to cock it single action style.

1. That's what I gleaned from reading and pics, but since there was no pics of "non-spur" hammers I wasn't sure.
    2. It would seem that any revolver should have one, to my thinking, except for CC where you want less hammer than normal.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Does it print on the rounds that do not go bang.[/QUOTE]

1. I think so, but I can't be definitive about it: I was in a hurry at the end of a range session and was wiped from the day and only gave a quick look.
    2. When I get back to the range, which might not be until Monday I will start taking copious notes now that I'm alerted that it's not just the ammo when it did it 3 or 4 rounds out of 8 in one cylinder.
    3. Sorry. I should have done another range session before asking, but I've been up since 3:30 am not being able to sleep, and I was looking for things to do. :laugh:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. I think so, but I can't be definitive about it: I was in a hurry at the end of a range session and was wiped from the day and only gave a quick look.
    2. When I get back to the range, which might not be until Monday I will start taking copious notes now that I'm alerted that it's not just the ammo when it did it 3 or 4 rounds out of 8 in one cylinder.
    3. Sorry. I should have done another range session before asking, but I've been up since 3:30 am not being able to sleep, and I was looking for things to do. :laugh:

On a round that does not fire (wait a bit to see if you have a hangfire or not), once you have waited a few moments with the gun pointed down range, unload that round and take a pic of the rim end of the cartridge and post it up. We're looking to see if it has an indent on the rim of the cartridge to see if the pin hit it at all. Also, might be of interest to see a pic of the firing pin area/hole of the frame with the cylinder open of course.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    On a round that does not fire (wait a bit to see if you have a hangfire or not), once you have waited a few moments with the gun pointed down range, unload that round and take a pic of the rim end of the cartridge and post it up. We're looking to see if it has an indent on the rim of the cartridge to see if the pin hit it at all. Also, might be of interest to see a pic of the firing pin area/hole of the frame with the cylinder open of course.

1. Understood: it's what exactly I intended to do, and I will get pics of what the whole cylinder looks like when spent, perhaps marking the ones that didn't fire.
    2. The hangfire warning is something I just read about this week.
    3. Thanks for your interest.
    4. If it is a "light-fire" thing, I can't wait to see what the remedy it, someone suggested to me in a pm that it could just be a spring (or two).

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. Understood: it's what exactly I intended to do, and I will get pics of what the whole cylinder looks like when spent, perhaps marking the ones that didn't fire.
    2. The hangfire warning is something I just read about this week.
    3. Thanks for your interest.
    4. If it is a "light-fire" thing, I can't wait to see what the remedy it, someone suggested to me in a pm that it could just be a spring (or two).

Could be a spring, could be stacking tolerance issues (the ammo rim is not as thick as some others and the gun may have spacing/firing pin, etc that is close to spec but not 100%), could be crud up in the firing pin area.

In the end, Ruger will take care of you. Their customer service is considered top notch.

I assume when you did this:
    I would keep double-action firing to engage them a second time and it did most of the time (might have done 2nd strike fire every time, not remember).
    you were either working your way back around the cylinder by DA firing completely back to that round or you opened the cylinder and indexed it back to where that same round would be next up? Again, just confirming.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Could be a spring, could be stacking tolerance issues (the ammo rim is not as thick as some others and the gun may have spacing/firing pin, etc that is close to spec but not 100%), could be crud up in the firing pin area.
    In the end, Ruger will take care of you. Their customer service is considered top notch.
    I assume when you did this:
    you were either working your way back around the cylinder by DA firing completely back to that round or you opened the cylinder and indexed it back to where that same round would be next up? Again, just confirming.

1. I just kept firing to see it they would, but not sure which round # I was on to know if they all fired on the 2nd "pass."
    2. I think they did, if I remember, but since I was still in denial about it I didn't slow down and take notes on the shells to verify everything before I fired them again, checking to see if the shell had been struck.
    3. I was in a hurry to get home. I was really there to test my Walther P22QD and Shield Compact (both .22LR semi-autos) again before I sold the Walther.
    4. The two guns are neck and neck but the Shield is just a hair better in my hand, and I have a history with it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    1. That's what I gleaned from reading and pics, but since there was no pics of "non-spur" hammers I wasn't sure.
    2. It would seem that any revolver should have one, to my thinking, except for CC where you want less hammer than normal.

Some revolvers have no hammer spur like the Taurus 85CH. And some people cut off the hammer spur to lighten the hammer somewhat and they plan on only shooting it DA.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well, it looks like I'll be able to go to the range today and I will keep copious notes and I'm taking 4 brands of ammo, all good stuff.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Quick test to see if it is the spring. Your GP is .22? If so switch the spring assemblies and see if the problem remains with the SP or goes 6to the GP. All you do is remove the grips, cock the hammer (unloaded gun), stick a pin in the hole of the spring assembly, lower the hammer and remove the assembly.

They make spring kits for these and too light of spring will give issues. And .22 springs are heavier than centerfire springs.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just got back from the range and I'll be writing a report, but short version is:
    4 different kinds of ammo and the Ruger SP100 .22LR FTF 1-3 rounds in a cylinder, so I know it's the gun.

Right now my wife is talking grilling, don't even know whether she's talking about late lunch or early supper.
    Later.

Top Bottom