• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I was over at Beech grove looking at Glock 19s and saw they had three models new. One was the Gen 4, second Gen 5, third was a model labeled RTF that looked like it could have a Gen 3 or 4 slide.

I think I really preferred the feeling of the Gen 4 with the finger grooves and no backstrap but the trigger on the RTF model felt lighter and the reset had zero creep.

What is the RTF model, aside from a texture difference? Is it just a Gen 4 with no backstrap option? Is it a special trigger config?

Is the accuracy of the Gen 5 barrel change really that much better? I am leaning toward a Gen 4 or the RTF.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Was the RTF frame grey or black? If it was grey, it could have been a Vickers Gen 3 RTF2.

Otherwise, I'd assume it was a Gen 3 RTF2 Glock 19.

I'm curious, how much was the RTF2 going for?

I have never really messed with the RTF pistols, though if I came across one at a good price, it would be interesting.

Now, a Glock 19 RTF2 with gills... that would be even more interesting, but you don't see them very often.

Last edited:

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    The rtf is a gen 3. They're kind of rare to see new. Glock stopped producing them because people complained about the rought texture. Larry Vickers has done several small runs every year for awhile. Glock did a limited release of them last year as well while we were waiting for the gen 5s.

Vickers Editions
    FDE frame 1500 17s 1500 19s
    Gray frame 2k 19's 1k 17's
    Then he did 2 more but I'm not sure on the numbers. He did an all black and an all FDE.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I hear people say they are rare but I see them all the time. Including the FDE one at beech grove firearms.
    Also the Vickers. Not that rare, they are constantly for sale even on ingo. but I see people think they are worth more than they are and want too much money for them. I think eventualy all the "special" glocks have a certain value to them but if you're buying a glock for collectors value then I'm not even gonna waste my breath trying to convince you otherwise lol.
    Sure Larry Vickers is a legend and anything he puts his name on will sell out simply for that. I know some people including Croy actualy buy the RTF frames because they like the feel of them in their hands and that's cool. Also cool If someone buys it because they like LAV.
    I'm not going to pay the same price for old technology as was I can buy a new gen5 glock for, that is a better pistol with a better barrel and other newer technology I like. I dont collect glocks, I use them. They are self defense tools only for me.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I don't think the RTF models, Vickers or not, having any trigger modifications.

I like the Gen 5 a lot and find I shoot it a bit better than the Gen 4.

All good options.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I hear people say they are rare but I see them all the time. Including the FDE one at beech grove firearms.
    Also the Vickers. Not that rare, they are constantly for sale even on ingo. but I see people think they are worth more than they are and want too much money for them. I think eventualy all the "special" glocks have a certain value to them but if you're buying a glock for collectors value then I'm not even gonna waste my breath trying to convince you otherwise lol.
    Sure Larry Vickers is a legend and anything he puts his name on will sell out simply for that. I know some people including Croy actualy buy the RTF frames because they like the feel of them in their hands and that's cool. Also cool If someone buys it because they like LAV.
    I'm not going to pay the same price for old technology as was I can buy a new gen5 glock for, that is a better pistol with a better barrel and other newer technology I like. I dont collect glocks, I use them. They are self defense tools only for me.

Agreed, I'm not paying more for colored frame (never got into the OD frames, or even FDE, etc), or even really fish gills for that matter. I'd like to have an RTF 19 with fish gills, but not going to pay a real premium for it. I'd like to see Glock do a run of Gen 5's with fish gills, but again, not worth paying a premium for one.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Personally, I liked the feel of the RTF. If I could change one thing on the Gen 5 it would be a slightly more aggressive texture.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I carry a 4 but I love the RTF2's I have a 17 gilled that I use as a host when they did the re-release not too long ago. I wish I'd bought two of them honestly. While a lot of people complain I could carry one I think, it's not that aggressive, i'd be more concerned about my clothes than my skin. I also think the older models had more bite to them but that's just comparing a couple. After shooting an RTF2 and jumping to a gen 4 the gun just doesn't feel the same. I know that seems odd but with sweaty palms outside right now it makes a difference to me. I think I'm talking myself into buying another RTF2...

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana

I do like the feel of the rtf2. I do not care for the fish gills on the slide. But I like the gen 5 even more. So I typically carry my gen 5

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Personally, I liked the feel of the RTF. If I could change one thing on the Gen 5 it would be a slightly more aggressive texture.
    Really? I dont know if I would like it at all if it was anymore aggressive. I got rid of my gen2 shield because it was so aggressive.

One thing I would like to see glock do is interchangeable side panels on the grips. Maybe they could have different textures too. But I'd like.some palm swells.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I was over at Beech grove looking at Glock 19s and saw they had three models new. One was the Gen 4, second Gen 5, third was a model labeled RTF that looked like it could have a Gen 3 or 4 slide.

I think I really preferred the feeling of the Gen 4 with the finger grooves and no backstrap but the trigger on the RTF model felt lighter and the reset had zero creep.

What is the RTF model, aside from a texture difference? Is it just a Gen 4 with no backstrap option? Is it a special trigger config?

Is the accuracy of the Gen 5 barrel change really that much better? I am leaning toward a Gen 4 or the RTF.

I have both the rtf and gen 5 G17's and prefer the gen 5. A lot of people talk about accuracy but in reality there is very few people that can actually shoot a handgun to it's true mechanical accuracy. I recently wanted to change a few things in one of my Glock but realized that I need to master the basics first as any of those mods won't make me a better shot, I see and read about people complaining about accuracy but at the end of the day 98% depends on the person behind the gun and not the other way around.

Top Bottom