What's the word on the Taurus G2c? Good, bad or ugly (or all 3)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    After reading up on these, I figured I would take a chance on one.

Compact, 12+1, economical laser available, terrible warranty. What's not to like? (Oh, that last part I guess.)

Is there a simple fix for the reportedly horrible trigger? Any other hacks to think about?

Obviously not a range gun, but what's the consensus on carrying this as a backup?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My father-in-law has one w/ the laser. The trigger leaves a lot to be desired but so far, it's been reliable. We've put about 250 rounds through it with no issues.

I think the chances of something going wrong with it are greater than say an S&W, Ruger, XD series etc.

As a back-up, capacity, to me, isn't an issue. I think you'd be better off with a Shield or XDs.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I’ve been thinking about getting one as well. Seems like they are decent guns for the money, but if you do have issues don’t be in a hurry to get it back.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I have one with a stainless steel slide and I like it very much.
    The only problem I've had was the trigger safety hanging up when you try to pull it so I super glued it in the off position and it works great now. It has no practical purpose anyway.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I really want to like Taurus, but that last examples I've had experience with have been execrable.

Small sample size, not saying all Taur-i are bad.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    A friend just sent me a pic of a Taurus Millennium in .45 with a cartridge stuck in the chamber...asking me if I'd take a look at it.
    This should be fun.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Mine was fine. No issues until the rear sight fell off. Retorqed set screw and it was g2g. It was completely reliable for the year I had it.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    A friend just sent me a pic of a Taurus Millennium in .45 with a cartridge stuck in the chamber...asking me if I'd take a look at it.
    This should be fun.

My PT145 was in the class action settlement/recall and had constant issues with cartridges getting stuck. It was a cheap gun that I bought used for carrying around the yard mostly but ended up sitting in the house because it wasn't reliable. I sent it in under the settlement kind of hoping they would fix it and return it since the replacement is a 9mm. They decided to replace it. The G2C that they are sending me was shipped yesterday so I'll see how it is when I get it tomorrow.

Not sure I want a 9mm as I have never even shot one, but that is the only gun they were sending out as a replacement for anything that is being replaced.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    well if you read the manual they've dropped the lifetime warranty, and replaced it with a 1 year to the original purchaser only! we just got in a 85 revolver that says the same thing!

guess they've got to do something to offset the cost of it being so cheap

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    well if you read the manual they've dropped the lifetime warranty, and replaced it with a 1 year to the original purchaser only! we just got in a 85 revolver that says the same thing!

guess they've got to do something to offset the cost of it being so cheap

I also noticed the manual has a warning that it may fire if dropped...which was the whole reason for the class action settlement on all of the guns that were in that. I hadn't caught the lifetime warranty change. I'm still not sure if I want to keep it, trade it or sell it. I had already picked up a Springfield XDs .45 at Christmas that basically replaced it.

Challenger76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2020
    South Bend
    I'm looking to trade my Walther pk380 for the Taurus G2c because years ago I had a Taurus millennium and it was very reliable. So what's the better gun? My Walther pk380 or the Taurus G2c? In other words would this be a good trade?

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Wow, resurrected a thread that was 2 years old!:) That said, I have a G2C and love it. Zero issues and it has at least 1500 rounds through it.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I'm looking to trade my Walther pk380 for the Taurus G2c because years ago I had a Taurus millennium and it was very reliable. So what's the better gun? My Walther pk380 or the Taurus G2c? In other words would this be a good trade?

I've heard about and handled but never fired the PK380. I have but don't carry the G2c. Between the two, I'd take the taurus all day. the Umarex walthers get no respect on the walther forums and it's not hard to see why not. They're designed by interns and built by temps. The G2c has ergonomics issues (trigger) but almost everything I've read about it that at least it goes bang every time.

There are fixes for the trigger now. The trigger dingus safety spring is just part of the dingus... there's a V cut between the side your finger pushes and the side that pushes back. If you take it apart and cut the V a bit higher, the dingus is softer and doesn't catch/hang up before taking slack on the trigger. It still stands quite proud of the trigger itself so that's only half the problem. Good enough for my trigger-calloused fingers but my wife still hates it. There's also a company that makes a quite economical replacement trigger: https://gallowayprecision.com/asmund-trigger-for-taurus-g2c-pt111-g2-pistols If I shot it more, I'd jump on it.

Challenger76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2020
    South Bend
    I've heard about and handled but never fired the PK380. I have but don't carry the G2c. Between the two, I'd take the taurus all day. the Umarex walthers get no respect on the walther forums and it's not hard to see why not. They're designed by interns and built by temps. The G2c has ergonomics issues (trigger) but almost everything I've read about it that at least it goes bang every time.

There are fixes for the trigger now. The trigger dingus safety spring is just part of the dingus... there's a V cut between the side your finger pushes and the side that pushes back. If you take it apart and cut the V a bit higher, the dingus is softer and doesn't catch/hang up before taking slack on the trigger. It still stands quite proud of the trigger itself so that's only half the problem. Good enough for my trigger-calloused fingers but my wife still hates it. There's also a company that makes a quite economical replacement trigger: https://gallowayprecision.com/asmund-trigger-for-taurus-g2c-pt111-g2-pistols If I shot it more, I'd jump on it.

Yeah I really want a Taurus G2c. This Walther is solid but I want the Taurus

Top Bottom