• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clownfish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2018
    Austin
    God bless America and this forum. Hi I need some help. I need some help deciding between the lesser of two evils per say, with the sccy cpx-2 9mm, or the hi point c9. My first question is which would you choose for everyday carry. My second is do the holsters that claim to fit these have a good hold or is it just going to be a hit or miss. I would prefer a glock or xdm however my current money situation isn't going to allow for the price of one. I have been telling myself I'll just save up for 3 years and it seems like whenever I get close something happens and we have to get a new car ( happened twice) or whatever. I have 4 kids but are all 16 and up but still rely on me heavily until they get out of college at least. Thanks in advance. :ingo:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    This is going to sound a little rough but....

If finances are tight enough that your budget is under $200 to $300 and 3 more years of saving puts you more or less in the same boat; I would offer that your finances do not permit you to purchase enough ammo to stay sufficiently proficient to use the weapon as a EDC.

Maybe look at something like a Ruger SR 22?

Also, if you are stuck on 9mm regardless, look out for a LE turn in Glock or Smith Wesson M&P.

Bottom line is to train and shoot what you carry or don't carry it.

Clownfish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2018
    Austin
    Ammo for 9mm won't be an issue. I can get 9mm from my father if I can not afford to buy any. But shouldn't have a problem buying a few boxes here and there to shoot. And my local gun store has leo trade ins all the time for 500 dollars

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Took my daughter recently to shoot an SCCY and she really liked it even though the trigger pull is a tad on the heavier side. I've been given good feedback on them especially for their price range

But I also somewhat agree with mcapo if you aren't sure you will be able to afford a quality holster and enough ammo to get very familiar with the gun and plenty of practice then maybe you would be better off waiting and saving more

Clownfish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2018
    Austin
    Thank you for the answer. I also appreciate the concern however I can buy a good holster and ammo for 9mm. I make decent money and I work hard for what I have. 1-200 dollars for ammo and a holster every week is okay 600 dollars at one time is difficult for me. I'm sorry I posted my questions

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thank you for the answer. I also appreciate the concern however I can buy a good holster and ammo for 9mm. I make decent money and I work hard for what I have. 1-200 dollars for ammo and a holster every week is okay 600 dollars at one time is difficult for me. I'm sorry I posted my questions

No reason to be sorry, most of us are more than glad to help. Just for the record, I don't think anyone meant to sound insulting. In your OP you mentioned having some difficulty saving as something always seems to come up, I get that. That being said I think it may have been taken wrongly.
    As I said I have recently taken my daughter to shoot a SCCY as part of a quest to find her first handgun. It seemed to shoot much better than I expected. I would spend my money on it long before ever buying a Hipoint. But that is just my opinion based on what I have seen and heard from others over the years.
    By the way welcome to INgo

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. I've been around for 14 months and have a bucket load of questions and my way of doing things (which get pointed out as "incorrect," and I get "come-down-on-hard" from time to time, also b/c of my ignorance about the gun culture.
    2. Don't worry about it: it's part of the "online" culture. Some just didn't learn to "play well with others in kindergarten." :rofl:
    3. Sometimes it can be tough and sometimes over-the-top, but most times it is reality feedback with much truth in it.
    4. Many times what is in print doesn't communicate well b/c of lack of clarity and others don't know where your coming from or your context.
    5. There is a wealth of information here. Don't be concerned if you get criticized for your choices, b/c you will,: whether it's gun, holster, ammo, your range you shoot at, or training.
    6. There is a learning curve and some that have been around for 100 yrs. don't have the patience for the early-on choices that newbies make, which I was one just 14 months ago, so I sympathize with your plight. :thumbsup:

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    SCCY's are decent guns, with great customer service. Have you considered Mil Surplus, like a Star BM? Very nice guns and can be had for around 250.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Today's SCCY is a heck of a lot better than the SCCY / SKYY of yesteryear.

While it wouldn't be MY first choice for a carry gun, you can certainly do worse. One defensive firearms instructor I know of (Look up Claude Werner) carries a SCCY daily. And he's very very proficient.

Along with the Ruger mentioned above, you may also want to look into the Ruger LC9-S. About the same size as the SCCY; and one that I'd personally pick before the SCCY.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Look at the Ruger Security 9. They can be had new for $300.

This is a great suggestion. While just a bit more, an M&P Compact 2.0 can also be had for very good prices these days as well, if you know where to look.

I have seen and been told that sccys warranty is unbeatable. Which is what got me interested in them

I can't speak to SCCY, but Ruger would stand behind their product as well as anyone in the industry these days if you decide to go with Bigtanker's suggestion, and while Ruger may have a history of issues with a first run of a new gun model, I'd say the Ruger Security 9 should serve you well. Also, while a warranty is great, when you have only 1 gun, when you are using a manufacturer's warranty service, you actually have no gun, so try and choose a model with a history of reliability.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    God bless America and this forum. Hi I need some help. I need some help deciding between the lesser of two evils per say, with the sccy cpx-2 9mm, or the hi point c9. My first question is which would you choose for everyday carry. My second is do the holsters that claim to fit these have a good hold or is it just going to be a hit or miss.

I have a SCCY, good reliable gun for the money. Not the best trigger but you can get used to it. I use a Gould holster number 890 G27 appendix carry for a Glock 27 the SCCY fits it well.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have a couple neighbors and a sister and nephew that own a SCCY. If that is all you can afford, then get one. You would be wise to look at some of the Rugers, and even wiser to check out an M&P Shield. S&W have been selling stuff at incredible deals with big rebates. It is a great time to be in the market for a handgun. It is easy to get offended on INGO. If you want the info for free, you will need to toughen up. Don't lose sleep over it. The other day someone told me this. Yes we all know you’re a statistical impossibility, so keep on keepin on with whatever is cheapest.

Check out Rural King.

Last edited:

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Of those two choices SCCY would be your best bet. HiPoints shoot well but are notorious for having problems and I’ve seen it first hand. What is your maximum budget? A lot of INGO knows prices and could lead you too a great handgun within that range. Also if you can save $200 a week, with only 2 weeks of savings, you could get a Glock, Springfield, Smith & Wesson, etc.

Last edited:

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I will probably get flamed for this, but....if I were you, I would get a Star BM. Check out Southern Gun Company or Classic Firearms (both online). The BM is an all-steel, single-stack, 9mm. Solid firearm. I shot one a few months back. Great fun!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom