• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    "Newbie" question:
    Are any of these program fine, or is there any that should be steered clear from b/c of word-of-mouth negatives?
    And, in the positive, any one of them stands to the forefront?

Four major self-defense insurance programs are now available to the millions of Americans who carry concealed.
    What are some of the self-defense insurance organizations offering plans for responsible armed citizens?

1. United States Concealed Carry Association (USCCA)

2. Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network (ACLDN)

3. U.S. Law Shield

4. NRA Carry Guard

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Yep, read this one ( Protecting Yourself After You Protect Yourself | RECOIL ) previously and thought it was pretty good.

Will definitely check out the others you posted. Probably something I need to look into more.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The major differences I have seen are whether the money needed for legal council, bail, ect is paid up front or reimbursed after the case is done.

The Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network will pay upfront. I'm not sure about the others.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The major differences I have seen are whether the money needed for legal council, bail, ect is paid up front or reimbursed after the case is done.

The Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network will pay upfront. I'm not sure about the others.

Isn't that one limited by the amount of $ in the fund at the time as opposed to policy limits? Could kind of suck if they have a big payout right before you need it. Though I guess any of the other companies could go bankrupt, though not sure of the legal aspect and what reserves these kinds of insurance companies need to have.

Edit: According to the RecoilWeb article:

[h=3]ARMED CITIZENS LEGAL DEFENSE NETWORK[/h] ACLDN is the least expensive and the third option that allows you to pick your own attorney, providing money up front/as you go.
    Your total coverage is capped at half of what’s available in their fund. As of this article, the fund is up to $1.2 million, which means your maximum coverage is $600K. Also, your case must be approved by their board before you’re covered. If the facts of your case are questionable to ACLDN and it’s not clear that it was a justified use of self defense, you may not be covered.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    ARMED CITIZENS LEGAL DEFENSE NETWORK

ACLDN is the least expensive and the third option that allows you to pick your own attorney, providing money up front/as you go.
    Your total coverage is capped at half of what’s available in their fund. As of this article, the fund is up to $1.2 million, which means your maximum coverage is $600K. Also, your case must be approved by their board before you’re covered. If the facts of your case are questionable to ACLDN and it’s not clear that it was a justified use of self defense, you may not be covered.

I consider this the equivalent of a no-smokers/obese health plan. They maintain low prices and lower claims by covering those wrongly prosecuted. If you are up on the legalities and don't do stupid things like shoot people running away, initiating conflicts, etc., then you can benefit from your good behavior. Along those lines, they send you educational materials to help you keep up on the law surrounding firearms and to help document that you are getting such education if you do go to court. Despite the doubt that the underlined section creates, I've never heard of ACLDN not covering reasonable cases.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I consider this the equivalent of a no-smokers/obese health plan. They maintain low prices and lower claims by covering those wrongly prosecuted. If you are up on the legalities and don't do stupid things like shoot people running away, initiating conflicts, etc., then you can benefit from your good behavior. Along those lines, they send you educational materials to help you keep up on the law surrounding firearms and to help document that you are getting such education if you do go to court. Despite the doubt that the underlined section creates, I've never heard of ACLDN not covering reasonable cases.

I get it, but if they spend 600 K on the guy that needed a defense the week before you, then instantly your potential maximum coverage is reduced. Just something to be cognizant of.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    USCCA is my preferred insurer, if it is good enough for Guy Relford (who is my attorney of choice) it is good enough for me.
    When I finally make the decision (write the check), USCCA is where I will land. It’s actual insuranc, as opposed to a small pool of money to be shared by whomever is unfortunate enough to need it. As stated in the video, a murder/manslaughter case gone to trial can be six figures, easy, and a pool of $1.change million isn’t enough breathing room for me. With my luck, the day before I need it, 2 other blokes just used 90% of the fund, and there isn’t enough left to cover my bail.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'd like to see some consumer reviews on successful results.
    Google Branca, I believe some of the cases he’s been involved with are public. He stated in the video, he’s been an expert wit in several cases that were no billed, or won outright if they went to trial I believe.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I need to finish watching John Lovell's video. I currently have US Law Shield, and for the price it's what I'll be keeping for the foreseeable future unless something changes. I'm not opposed to switching if I was persuaded one was much better though. A buddy of mine told me he is covered via his NRA membership but to be honest I don't know anything about that.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Google Branca, I believe some of the cases he’s been involved with are public. He stated in the video, he’s been an expert wit in several cases that were no billed, or won outright if they went to trial I believe.

With all due respect, I aint googling nothing.

If someone wants to sell me insurance there should be links to the consumer reports of their work. :twocents:

:dunno:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    A buddy of mine told me he is covered via his NRA membership but to be honest I don't know anything about that.

He may be very mistaken. The NRA has one of the programs to cover you in the case of a self-defense shooting (NRA Carry Guard), but that is separate from NRA memberships. Simply being an NRA member does not provide the type of coverage being discussed in this thread.

Top Bottom