• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have never shot one. Handled a few. If I were looking for a metal (heavy) 6 shot snubby this one would be high on my list. The triggers were smooth and the extra weight would tame recoil.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’ve drooled over them more than once. Expensive for its size and use, but the only J-Frame that get even close to the quality was a 640 Pro that was covered in engravings. I’d buy a K6S before much else in its size and I expect I’ll one at some point.

Bosbar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Just outside Indy
    When I was in the market for a new snub nose, I looked at the Kimber K6. Compared it to A S&W 642 PC. I realize one is a 357 mag and one is a 38 but, I was merely looking for a snub nose.

The Kimber K6 was a lot heavier than the 642 and the trigger on the Kimber couldn't hold a candle next to the 642.
    Not to mention, the price of the Kimber was $800.00! Kimber is really proud of their new pistol!

Needless to say, I bought the S&W 642 PC 38 SPL.

EFsggVo.jpg

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    When I was in the market for a new snub nose, I looked at the Kimber K6. Compared it to A S&W 642 PC. I realize one is a 357 mag and one is a 38 but, I was merely looking for a snub nose.

The Kimber K6 was a lot heavier than the 642 and the trigger on the Kimber couldn't hold a candle next to the 642.
    Not to mention, the price of the Kimber was $800.00! Kimber is really proud of their new pistol!

EFsggVo.jpg

Sweet looking revolver!

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

EFsggVo.jpg

To be fair the 642 is an airweight, the K6S is closer to the Model 640 Pro. Comparing apples to apples, the There is around $100 price difference between those two.

The 642 PC was the only airweight with a trigger that felt as smooth as the K6 trigger, to me. I was disappointed in most of the standard 642 & 442 triggers, after hearing so many people who like these J-frames.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No personal experience, and unlikely to get any. I use .38+P in anything under a 3" barrel and can buy two LCRs for the price of one Kimber, and Ruger's customer service and support has a well deserved excellent reputation.

That said, reviews from purchasers have been generally positive. I suspect if I were going to branch out into the high dollar snubby I'd go with the newer Colt though because reasons and voodoo. I'm actually quite unlike to do so, though, because the LCR does everything I want a snubby to do.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    No personal experience, and unlikely to get any. I use .38+P in anything under a 3" barrel and can buy two LCRs for the price of one Kimber, and Ruger's customer service and support has a well deserved excellent reputation.

That said, reviews from purchasers have been generally positive. I suspect if I were going to branch out into the high dollar snubby I'd go with the newer Colt though because reasons and voodoo. I'm actually quite unlike to do so, though, because the LCR does everything I want a snubby to do.

The new Cobras look like nice guns. I like the finish on the Kimber better. But Kimber always seemed to offer form over function.

Bosbar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Just outside Indy
    To be fair the 642 is an airweight, the K6S is closer to the Model 640 Pro. Comparing apples to apples, the There is around $100 price difference between those two.

The 642 PC was the only airweight with a trigger that felt as smooth as the K6 trigger, to me. I was disappointed in most of the standard 642 & 442 triggers, after hearing so many people who like these J-frames.

I only paid $500.00 for my S&W 642 PC, that's about $300.00 less than the Kimber.
    True, the 642 is a 38 spl +p and the Kimber is a 357. I was just comparing snubnoses when I was in the market.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My gun shop guy has been trying to get me to buy the Kimber for quite awhile. It seems really nice. The trigger seems better than some of others. The finish is definitely better as expected. I still struggle with whether to get one or not.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I only paid $500.00 for my S&W 642 PC, that's about $300.00 less than the Kimber.
    True, the 642 is a 38 spl +p and the Kimber is a 357. I was just comparing snubnoses when I was in the market.

It is dependent on what the user wants and the cost/feature balancing point. My point was comparing the cost of the K6S to the 642s isn’t exactly a fair comparison, due to their different market target.

For me, I see a value in the extra $300: more weight, better finish and real sights. I can understand why not everyone would though. Just like I can understand why people like the airweights, even though they aren’t my thing.

For the life of me, I don’t understand why snubbys still use the notch rear sight. The 3-dot sights add very little to the size of the K6S and it’s not like these types of revolvers stop being accurate at 7 yards.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Actually went to a local gun shop last night and was able to actually hold a couple of the K6s and they really do look and feel very nice. After hours of watching many reviews and research I went online and purchased one with night sights.psyko

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A fellow on another forum reported a broken firing pin after extensive dry firing. Probably a good idea to use a snap cap, even if the manual doesn't specifically call for one (and I don't know if it does or not).

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    A K6 with a 3" barrel and night sights would make a hell of a packable trail gun. The 3" barrel does some justice to .357 loads, and loaded with hard cast 180 grain flat nose, is potent medicine for most threats outside of grizzly country.

Top Bottom