• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I’ve been scratching my head on this all summer. Had enough of sucking in public (FNS) so I want to get this right.

Here’s what I have:
    Colt Competition in 45ACP (early production if that matters)
    Novak LoMount Carry black fixed rear sight (swapped in after the adjustable fell apart)
    .180” front night sight
    Full length guide rod
    Wolff regular power spring
    Wilson 8 round mags

It won’t group worth a crap and if I established a center point for its “pattern”, I’d say it’s 6” low at 6 o’clock.

I’ve tried 2 different loads, tried changing my grip, and cleaned the daylights out of the barrel. No change.

I don’t think it’s me because I can take one of my other 1911s and make a reasonable group with the same ammo. I’ve gone over the sights with calipers and they’re good as far as I can tell.

A few thoughts I have are 1) the 1911 I shoot better has night sights front and rear, maybe a sight picture thing? and 2) before the adjustable sight flew apart, I recall it was cranked pretty far up.

ebfa703e1735a0767fc38ecce907d287.jpg

The offender is stainless.

2c47d90a94e98c0b9fe392802ebdb9d5.jpg

4” round target, 6 rounds at 15 yards. Colt on the right. Other 1911 for reference on the left.

What are your thoughts, INGO gurus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Is both of those groups for a 1911 at 15 yards suck an option? Your sights seem set very low on the Colt, plus the Competition Pistol has the NM barrel and its hard to get much better than that unless something major is wrong with the pistol fit wise. Put the pistol into battery and push down on the barrel hood to ensure it does not move and is the bushing fit up correctly as well?

yI0VSlqh.jpg

25 yards , as reference to the groups sucking comment

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Have a Colt Rail Gun that 100 rounds in a target looked like I was using a shotgun. Allen put a new barrel in it and it started shooting like a target gun. All the Colt's before the Rail gun would do 2"-3" at 25 yards. Most times you get a Tuesday -Friday gun but sometimes you get a Monday gun. Put a new barrel and bushing in it and move on.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree with others. Was it on point before you changed the sights out.
    Get a base line for how low/lft/right you are art a given distance. Dawson precision has a very nice calculator on how to figure out the proper height you need on the sights.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    Next chance I get, I’ll fire it off a rest. That should give some definitive answers.

CM, I did find Dawson’s site when I was learning about sights and I would need a .116” tall front sight to “correct” this.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Next chance I get, I’ll fire it off a rest. That should give some definitive answers.

CM, I did find Dawson’s site when I was learning about sights and I would need a .116” tall front sight to “correct” this.

That calculator set me straight more than once. I built one that was hitting stupid low. Did as you are going to off a rest at 7 yards and did the math. Bingo.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    LOL, OP has problems with accuracy of 1911 then Dean shows target from a TS orange. Not fair
    But yeah OP, I think your front sight is way too tall. Shoot several 5 shot groups off a rest and see if you can at least get it to group. If it groups low then at least you know it's just sights

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    LOL, OP has problems with accuracy of 1911 then Dean shows target from a TS orange. Not fair
    But yeah OP, I think your front sight is way too tall. Shoot several 5 shot groups off a rest and see if you can at least get it to group. If it groups low then at least you know it's just sights

Hey hey hey it's an SAO trigger system too!! And no where in the OP is trigger pull weight or just overall badassness mentioned so they are a total non issue

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I’ve been scratching my head on this all summer. Had enough of sucking in public (FNS) so I want to get this right.

Here’s what I have:
    Colt Competition in 45ACP (early production if that matters)
    Novak LoMount Carry black fixed rear sight (swapped in after the adjustable fell apart)
    .180” front night sight
    Full length guide rod
    Wolff regular power spring
    Wilson 8 round mags

It won’t group worth a crap and if I established a center point for its “pattern”, I’d say it’s 6” low at 6 o’clock.

I’ve tried 2 different loads, tried changing my grip, and cleaned the daylights out of the barrel. No change.

I don’t think it’s me because I can take one of my other 1911s and make a reasonable group with the same ammo. I’ve gone over the sights with calipers and they’re good as far as I can tell.

A few thoughts I have are 1) the 1911 I shoot better has night sights front and rear, maybe a sight picture thing? and 2) before the adjustable sight flew apart, I recall it was cranked pretty far up.

ebfa703e1735a0767fc38ecce907d287.jpg

The offender is stainless.

2c47d90a94e98c0b9fe392802ebdb9d5.jpg

4” round target, 6 rounds at 15 yards. Colt on the right. Other 1911 for reference on the left.

What are your thoughts, INGO gurus?

No offense, but you ain't gonna come home from Camp Perry with any hardware with groups like that, for sure. It's really hard to determine a sight setting with large groups like that at 15 yards, IMHO. I like to start out shooting at 25 yards to sight in. I like to shoot unsupported so I get the same recoil impulse and therefore group that I will get when normally shooting the pistol. If you need to rest the pistol, though, by all means do so, but remember that your bench sight setting might be quite a bit different than your normal standing, unsupported sight setting. Although your sight setting may be different from another shooter, you still might want to get a know pistolero to shoot a few groups with your guns. If you are already a pistolero with the 1911, then you probably are already considering some accurizing for the two pistols. After that, you'll know whether or not you need a taller front sight (if it is indeed shooting too low). Good luck! Before I got real old and worthless, I shot this target at 50 feet (similar to your 15 yards). That's ten rounds fired in the classic standing, one-handed 1911 stance with a .45 ACP chambered 1911. It was shot with reloads. Admittedly it was one of my better targets, but shows almost what the gun and ammo was capable. This pistol was accurized, but your pistol should be able to shoot pretty close to this at that distance.
    f7GrxxW.jpg

Last edited:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    If this is the one I did the front checkering on, when I test fired it. It was not accurate for me either.
    My opinion it has barrel issues

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Looking at the group, my guess is that the problem is with the barrel or link not locking up consistently. Possibly also an inaccurately gauged chamber?

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    If this is the one I did the front checkering on, when I test fired it. It was not accurate for me either.
    My opinion it has barrel issues

It is. I was in denial that Colt had quality issues, but now I’ve joined the masses. Time to start saving my pennies again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is. I was in denial that Colt had quality issues, but now I’ve joined the masses. Time to start saving my pennies again.

I refrained from commenting on the fact it was a Colt. Feelings and all.....:)

Have Allen fit up a decent barrel in it.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon

Sadly the last few I have shot have been disappointing.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009

I recently purchased the 70 series Colt comp. and its a VERY SOLID piece, accurate fit and finish is really good.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I believe I bought this one in 2016 shortly after they came out. If they do sequential serial numbers, it’s in the 200s. Hopefully they’ve improved.

Top Bottom