• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'm looking for alternative for some cheaper trigger time/trainer option, already have a Ruger 22/45 so looking for something close to my carry handgun. The options are Advantage arms .22 conversion or an M&P 22 compact, what do you think you be best?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I really like my MP22 compact. It chugs and chugs right along. And the feel of it is "close enough" to the Shield to be a useful trainer. I don't think it fits in my Shield holster, however. But for square range only use (like at Parabellum where they allow drawing from a holster) a standard MP holster works OK. Don't count on there being any retention.

jimmothy86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have an M&P compact and I absolutely ****ing love it, were I able to afford it, I'd buy a second one.

I bought it for the same reason, my carry piece is an xdm in 40, and I didn't feel safe carrying it before I got the M&P because I'd go to the range and at 10 yards I couldn't even get every round on an 8x11 sheet of paper, so I didn't feel safe because I couldn't handle it, I felt that way because of the risk me actually pulling it and using it in public posed to other people. I've only had it a few months now, but because I am able to hit the range almost weekly without breaking the bank, when I shoot my 40 I'm getting every round not just on paper, but in a 6" grouping, I'm no marksman yet, but I at last feel safe actually carrying now because I'm reasonably confident that I'd actually hit what I was aiming at

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have both. Have had a couple of AA kits (one for a 26/27 and one for a 19). I sold the one for the 26, but kept the one for my 19. I have multiple 19's, so I can give it its own dedicated frame while at the range. I also have a ton of magazines for the AA kit as I found some good deals on them several years ago. I have quite a few that are still in plastic, if and when the many I regularly use ever need to be replaced.

I just recently purchased the M&P Compact 22.

What is your goal? If you want the exact trigger feel, etc of the Glock, using the same holsters, etc then of course the AA kit is it. I will say you may experience a failure or 2 more with the AA kit than you would with the M&P 22 (so far in my relatively brief experience with the M&P it has been flawless). Not a big issue and not a lot of failures on the AA kit, and the chance to practice a tap & rack, etc (I use the remington golden bullet as it is one of the specifically recommended ammos for the AA kit). I also have my AA kit slide setup with a set of Amerglo sights that mimic my Trijicon HD's that I have on my carry guns. The Ameriglo front sight on the M&P 22 has a dead tritium vial so I got them relatively cheap.

If close enough in size and trigger is ok, then get the M&P and just want to tune yourself up a bit during each range trip. The M&P is an internal hammer gun, so it is not a striker fired (FYI).

I really like the M&P Compact 22 and purchased it as I have mostly shifted over to M&P Compact 2.0 for carry, and will likely be purchasing a Shield 2.0 in the near future.

So, comes down to what your goals are with it, IMO.

Top Bottom