• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Found one from a retired guy that has "everything" but not much in the .22LR realm, but he has this that he doesn't want to keep it any longer.
    Says he bought it new just for fun but doesn't shoot much anymore and never did shoot .22LRs much: likes the big guns.
    Claims that it has never been shot and it was only made in 1997-1998.

I've done a little research on it and it seems to check out OK.
    I bought a Browning Buckmark off a member here that is older (I think) and is the best shooter I have (top of my list).

My impression is that it is a cut above the Ruger Mark 4 or the Browning Buckmark.
    I'm not of the mind to buy a $900-$1200 .22LR pistol at this time.
    I have so much fun with all my others, I just can't part with them (Smith MP Compact is going to be sold though: no patience with the light small ones anymore.
    I knew when I sold the Walther P22 that the Smith Compact wasn't going to be far behind, being essentially the same genre of gun.

The "Colt" name is calling: got about everything else.
    Price is $500ish.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I handled an older one last weekend. It was a matte stainless, with the Colt name inscribed in the slide in bright silver. It was before the rail was added to them. The shop said it was probably made in the late 60s (no idea if that is accurate). Memory says it was $449.

It was comfortable and I liked most of things about it. It balanced oddly in my hands, a bit more nose heavy than I’d like. Overall, it didn’t feel special enough for me to pay more than the rest of the 22s they had. It was very pretty though. I’ll admit though that the Colt name doesn’t carry any more weight, to me, than S&W, Ruger or most other manufacturers. So I’m personally not willing to pay more for the label.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I handled an older one last weekend. It was a matte stainless, with the Colt name inscribed in the slide in bright silver. It was before the rail was added to them. The shop said it was probably made in the late 60s (no idea if that is accurate). Memory says it was $449.

1. This one is '97-'98.

It was comfortable and I liked most of things about it. It balanced oddly in my hands, a bit more nose heavy than I’d like. Overall, it didn’t feel special enough for me to pay more than the rest of the 22s they had. It was very pretty though. I’ll admit though that the Colt name doesn’t carry any more weight, to me, than S&W, Ruger or most other manufacturers. So I’m personally not willing to pay more for the label.

2. It is a little nose-heavy, from my reading, but, oh, so accurate as well.

Bah.
    Get a Woodsman instead, if you feel the need for a Colt .22.

3. I know where there is a Woodsman for double the money, but the profile is not there for me to pay $1000.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You do know the odds are that if you aren’t out shooting the capability of the Neos, BuckMark, 22A or MkIV, then you probably won’t see more accuracy from the Colt... just saying.

Spending the cash on more ammo would do more for your skill than anything else. I struggle with this myself. New toys are more fun.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You do know the odds are that if you aren’t out shooting the capability of the Neos, BuckMark, 22A or MkIV, then you probably won’t see more accuracy from the Colt... just saying.
    Spending the cash on more ammo would do more for your skill than anything else. I struggle with this myself. New toys are more fun.

1. Your observations are not wasted on me and have merit and weight since we have spent time together personally, and you have a more accurate sense about me b/c of that face-time.
    2. I believe you. Why spend twice the money for a gun that isn't going to be any better than what is in my "quiver full of arrows" now.
    3. This is why I didn't continue to pursue the Smith 41, that and advice that the Colt Woodsman would be a better choice, which complicates the issue for me.
    4. Since it is illogical to pay $1200ish for a "better" .22LR semi-auto that I have a "few" already, the same logic would dictate the same application for a $500 Colt Target.
    5. But, I am enamored by having a Colt and that alone is worth paying more for.
    6. The fact that this gun is "new" never been fired has a "romantic" ring to it for me as well, and I know you have to pay for that privilege as.
    7. Since I'm in "selling" mode, buying the "occasional" gun gives me joy.
    8. Got plenty of ammo, never get it all shot up this winter, so show me the gun!
    9. I'm out of control, as you can tell.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A want is a want, I get it. I went though it last weekend with the Smith I picked up, granted it filled the need of being a more target oriented pistols.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    You do know the odds are that if you aren’t out shooting the capability of the Neos, BuckMark, 22A or MkIV, then you probably won’t see more accuracy from the Colt... just saying...

^^^This. The combination of polymer grip and bull barrel nose heavy design doesn't sound intriguing to me. Something closer to $300 sounds a lot better. Keep in mind that if a part happened to break, a replacement would likely be impossible to find.

I'd spend a few hundred on Volquartsen fire control parts for your MK 4 if I wanted better accuracy and forget a new pistol.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    ^^^This. The combination of polymer grip and bull barrel nose heavy design doesn't sound intriguing to me. Something closer to $300 sounds a lot better. Keep in mind that if a part happened to break, a replacement would likely be impossible to find.

I'd spend a few hundred on Volquartsen fire control parts for your MK 4 if I wanted better accuracy and forget a new pistol.

1. I was talking to a guy at the range who had done that to a Mark 4 with unbelievable results.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Bah.

Get a Woodsman instead, if you feel the need for a Colt .22.

Get a Match Target Woodsman is what I think you meant :rockwoot:

H3FhDKl.jpg

gds

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Lawrencburg
    I have both the 4 inch and the 6 inch Colt matt stainless pistols . Both are match grade shooters . I bought both of mine 1997 - 1998 brand new from a dealer $150 for the 4 inch $175 for the 6 inch target. Love them both.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Get a Match Target Woodsman is what I think you meant :rockwoot:

H3FhDKl.jpg

1. Now that is a thing of beauty!

You never got around to shooting my Buckmark Doddg. It's a tack driver. :D

2. The one I bought off a member here is the best and I love it: if yours has been "Dr.'ed" up: I can't imagine.
    3. Mine is a 5.5" which makes me glad I didn't settle for a 4".
    4. Maybe if I'm good I'll get to come over next summer: I'll bring the ammo, if I haven't spent all my money on guns or "upgrades." :rofl:

I have both the 4 inch and the 6 inch Colt matt stainless pistols . Both are match grade shooters . I bought both of mine 1997 - 1998 brand new from a dealer $150 for the 4 inch $175 for the 6 inch target. Love them both.

5. I wondered if someone would speak up that had one!
    6. got to love those '90s prices, but that is just too good to be true.
    7. I bought my Colt Mustang with 4 or 5 mags for $275 used around 1990 and finally sold it for $500 last summer: I wanted to like it but never really did.
    8. Are they hard/easy to take down?

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I emailed the guy I'm going to buy the Colt Target from and asked him some follow up questions.
    First, since price was never discussed, I had to ask since his $525 price was begging for a $500 offer, and I told him so (I'm not a very subtle negotiator).
    If I was him I would have told me that anyone who was willing to pay $500 would pay $525, and I have told people that conceptually before, and they would just laugh and say they had to try and I tell them I understand, b/c I would do the same.

He came back telling me that he had been offered $550 for it when the buyer heard that it had been sold to me, but since I spoke up for it first it was still mine.
    I have to respect that.
    My counter offer legally negated the original price of $525 and he could have sold it to the higher bidder at that point.
    I told him that is a lesson for me to learn shooting off my mouth trying to get a lower price (I really did believe that it was just laying on the table waiting for the asking, though).
    A member here told me he found one for $350 last weekend, but I would pay more gladly for the "profile:" the seller (old like me except he has a ton of experience with guns), gun in never fired (therefore a brand new gun in my mind) and he said that had cleaned and lubed it up and it is ready for the range (everything I wanted to hear).
    I have the sense that he is for real and not a con artist and even though I have trust issues, I can usually sense a straight shooter.
    For example, I bought a gun here on this site twice from different people and each of the guns had issues, but I do not believe at all that they fired them and knew that when they sold them.
    One of the guns was a Ruger SP100 that I traded for, and Ruger said it was unfixable when I sent it in, but are sending me a new one to replace it: sweet!
    Hopefully, it will come in a new box and I'll be able to sell it as new and never shot (as it is declared), and some will pay extra for that, like I'm willing to pay extra for this Colt Target .22LR b/c of the profile.
    I'll just have to be determined to not want to shoot it myself, but I have a Ruger GP100 I bought new last Fall/2017 to pacify myself with.
    I hope to drive straight to the range with it and see if it beats my Browning Buckmark I bought off a member here and a Ruger Mark 4 I bought off a member here and a Beretta Neos, which I think I bought it off a member here.
    This is my idea of fun. You may criticize, or as a member said today that was hilarious, "bark at me," but I am truly enjoying myself: the hunt, the bargaining, the acquisition, then the actual exercise of shooting: WOW!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom