• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Picked up the long barreled Colt 1878 pictured, it was missing some parts which I have slowly been accumulating, most are now on the gun. Discovered there were variations in frame sizes over the run of these guns, this model from 1881 is larger than the one below from 1897 so I'll probably have to have some grips custom made. It's mostly running now, but I will have to make a rather complex spring for it yet. Chambered in 45 Colt, it came with this nice period shoulder holster made out of thick but very soft leather. Maybe this was something the 1881 equivalent of Dirty Harry carried patrolling local saloons, the Colt letter has it being sold in New York City.

The smaller later version below in the Heiser holster is in 44-40.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You dig up the coolest pieces LE.

Thanks! Fixing something that's 137 years old and getting it shooting is a great feeling. When I'm sending BP 45 Colts down range I wonder sometimes about all the people who pulled this trigger and what they did. It's a shame old guns can't speak, but with some internet research you can give them a voice.:)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks! Fixing something that's 137 years old and getting it shooting is a great feeling. When I'm sending BP 45 Colts down range I wonder sometimes about all the people who pulled this trigger and what they did. It's a shame old guns can't speak, but with some internet research you can give them a voice.:)

So cool.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Slobber slobber.

Kidding aside, it sure is nice to see real guns for a change.

Top Bottom